Help help help!!! Fast moving fin rot in betta

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Help! I recently moved my betta from an uncycled 2 gallon to a cycling split 10 gallon (so he has 5 gallons). He had previously had fin rot but it had stopped moving for a while. Now he's in the 10/5 gallon and his tail looks worse then ever! It almost looks shredded but I don't think he could have cut himself on anything since this is what it was like before. How do I stop this??

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you have a photo? Is your filter intake covered? Do you have any plastic or sharp decorations? Since he's in a split tank, do both sides get equal circulation? If no, which side is he on? Do you know your water parameters?

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SM1199 said:
Do you have a photo? Is your filter intake covered? Do you have any plastic or sharp decorations? Since he's in a split tank, do both sides get equal circulation? If no, which side is he on? Do you know your water parameters?
It's a sponge filter. There is plastic but it doesn't appear to be sharp to cut his tail.

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JuiceBox52 said:
Is that fungus on his fin? I cant tell. Could you get a pic with brighter light?
How would I be able to tell if its fungus? I'll try to get better pics, but my kindle's camera isn't very good and he's an active fish ;)

JuiceBox52

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FishGirl115 said:
How would I be able to tell if its fungus? I'll try to get better pics, but my kindle's camera isn't very good and he's an active fish ;)
Looks fuzzy usually. Or different color/texture

RikkiTikkii

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mmm could be tail biting too by looking at the photos.

Maybe he’s doing that because of the move? Unless there’s black on the frailing of his tail it’s most likely fin rot. If not, I’m considering tail biting

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
RikkiTikkii said:
mmm could be tail biting too by looking at the photos.

Maybe he’s doing that because of the move? Unless there’s black on the frailing of his tail it’s most likely fin rot. If not, I’m considering tail biting
I thought of that too. He does have a long/full/big tail. I've never seen him do it though. How do you fix him biting if it is that?

JuiceBox52

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Add stimulus to the tank. Rearrange plants, add a few shrimp maybe, add a bubbler. They do it out of boredom. And do daily water change to help it heal

Even in the middle of a cycle you need to do water changes when the ammonia is more than 0

OP
FishGirl115

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JuiceBox52 said:
Do daily 50-75% water changes for 2 weeks. This is usually all that is needed for finrot. You could use aquarium salt as well
K. Would that mess up my cycle?

RikkiTikkii

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FishGirl115 said:
I thought of that too. He does have a long/full/big tail. I've never seen him do it though. How do you fix him biting if it is that?
Yeah and I wouldn’t be too scared about that 0.25 ammonia reading since API tests are known to show a little ammonia. However u can do a WC just in case.

unfortunately, tail biting is usually a personality trait and something that is kind of ???? cause it’s all over the place what it could mean. Could be stress, boredom, tail too heavy, etc. Mine tends to do it allot to where his tail is very short, every time fin grows back he will eventually bite it off.

i guess you can combat it with daily water changes just to promote fun growth again. Like said above, 25%-50% should be fine, every other day. I don’t believe it’s fin rot though if it’s a super drastic change and it was sudden, so I think smaller water changes are fine.

JuiceBox52

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FishGirl115 said:
K. Would that mess up my cycle?
The salt wont. The water changes will slow it down but that is the price to pay for fish in cycle rather than fish less, just takes a couple weeks longer

New Threads