Help Help 911

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by rockmissjess, Apr 20, 2017.

1. rockmissjessNew MemberMember

HELP! PLEASE!
    So in the last week all my shrimp except one has died. And guppy fish are dying every few days... at first i noticed with a few shimmying... and sitting at the top of the tank doing absolutely nothing..before they passed. so i looked closely at the one doing it right now.. shes a female fully prego... and she has a RED DOT on her tummy... ANYONE KNOW WHATS GOING ON?

I started the first dose of API General Cure Yesterday... tomorrow will be the 2nd dose...

Im so very very sad and ive been reading forum after forum and im just trying to figure out whats killing off this tank...

2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Shrimp dying off first points to bad water quality rather than an illness. Can you test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and post the results?

How long has the tank been going and how often do you do water changes?

Fish staying close to the surface and gulping air (like the female is doing now) points to bad water. I would do a major water change ASAP 50-75% (but test the water before doing the water change pls).

3. rockmissjessNew MemberMember

i tested yesterday BEFORE dosing tank
    everything was 0 except ammonia which was through the roof... i put in some ammo lock after doing a 50% water change yesterday BEFORE i dosed with API general cure

I use stress zyme, stress coat, ammo lock, and amquel plus... just in case you need to know what i use in my tanks... all my tanks are fine except this one tank..

I do water changes 1-2 times a week in the guppy tank... always seems like they poop...
    Food: I feed omega one in the am and brine shrimp/baby brine in the pm
    All the other fish are swimming fine no one is gasping for air..
    This guppy aquarium is a 20 gallong high, planted with swords... sand substrate.. jager heater (78.6 degrees), 20 aquaeon filter, bubble wall

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  4. RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore! I'm so sorry to hear that your guppies are dying! It sounds like your tank is not cycled since you don't have any nitrates in your tank. You want 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and somewhere between 5-20 for nitrate. Did you happen to change out your filter media? This can make your tank go out of whack quickly. I think the issue may be is the ammonia. I would recommend doing a bunch of small water changes to get the ammonia down.

5. rockmissjessNew MemberMember

I did change the substrate out from the gravel to the sand on friday... so the light on the filter has been coming on and off cause of the sand getting all over the filter (cloudy clearing) so ive had to rinse off the filter cartridge once daily since friday.. do u think this is whats causing the ammonia spike?

And still why does my guppy have that red dot?

20170420_144443.jpg

6. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Did you rinse off in tank water or just out of the sink?

7. rockmissjessNew MemberMember

sink because the water from the tank has been so cloudy since the substrate change from gravel to sand....

8. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Could be ammonia. You mentioned that it was "through the roof" and it's possible that the tank is going through a mini cycle. When did you start this tank?

If you can try moving last one to another tank while this is being worked on.

9. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

I think the chlorinated water out of your sink killed the bacteria. The red spot on her belly is probably due to high ammonia.

10. rockmissjessNew MemberMember

The only tanks i have are a betta sorority tank (the guppies wouldn't last in there)
    and a ram cichlid tank (and well im pretty sure they would be lunch in there)

I moved everything from a established 10 gallon to this 20 gallon about 2 weeks ago...

OKay so if it is just ammonia killing off the tank... and i did a 50% water change yesterday.... what should be the reginimen for awhile to get those ammonia levels back in check? I do have some marineland bacteria handy..

11. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Not the best at diseases and illnesses, but could the red marks be ammonia burns? It is pretty high.

12. DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

I think we need to establish whether this tank was actually Cycled when it was set up.

So; was it? What process was used to put it through the Cycle?

13. rockmissjessNew MemberMember

I used marineland bacteria to cycle it along with quick start.

14. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

I haven't used that product but I'm sure it would be fine. You need something to bind the ammonia and nitrites until your cycle is restored. Do you have Seachem Prime?

15. rockmissjessNew MemberMember

no but i have amquel plus... should i pick up seachecm prime when i go into town tomorrow?? (i only shop on fridays)

16. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Yes if you can find it. I believe you mentioned that you had the testing kits so that will let you know how much to dose. How many fish are still in the tank?

17. rockmissjessNew MemberMember

Yes i have the freshwater master test kit.
    Um let me look...
    2 males
    2 females
    2 female juvies and about 6 fry

18. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Ignore my last comment, I went to find amquel plus. It does the same as Prime. Use that along with water changes.

I'm so sorry about all the loss. With what you have, you should be able to save those remaining if they are not too far gone. Good luck.

19. rockmissjessNew MemberMember

thanks

20. JRSWell Known MemberMember

I looked up Amquel it says "Water Conditioner that detoxifies ammonia, chlorine and chloramines"

Edit nevermind I saw that it does.

Does it protect against nitrite and nitrate like Prime?

21. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

It said nitrite JRS, I don't know about nitrate. (Guess I wasn't concerned about that one at the moment with all the water changes she will have to do)