Help! Heater stopped working.

CPVFD325

I woke up this morning to lazy fish that don't want to eat. I checked my temp and it was at 68-70!!!! ACK! I have a few old heaters that may work and are in there now trying to heat it back up.....should I just let them do the work....if they will. or do a partial water change with some warmer water? I don't want to shock them.....my common sense says to just wait and see if the old heaters do the work.......but my "fix it now" voice in my head says to a partial.....I'm trying my best to fight him off. lol. Lemme know.

:;hurryb

sgould

If the heaters are working, give them time. You should be able to tell pretty quickly if they are getting warm to the touch. You don't want to warm the water back up too quickly, as that is also a big system shock for the fish. If the heaters are not working you can do a partial with warmer water, but keep in mind that an overall temp change of more than 2-3 degrees in a short period of time is too much...so don't try to heat the water back up to 76-78 in one change. Check out visi-therm stealth heaters for a replacement. They are reliable...lots of folks use them.

CPVFD325

Thanks. Those old heaters are working.....it about 71-72 now....its slowly rising.....I think my oscar is chilly. lol.x

COBettaCouple

Have those heaters got the tank back up to temp?

CPVFD325

Yeah pretty much. It was right at about 80 last night when we got back from a new year's party....then I woke up today and it was at about 78. so its definitely back up around where it should be. but I have 2 heaters in there for the time being.....until I get paid and can go get a good heater...rather than that walmart . My Oscar doesn't seem to be back to normal yet. He isn't eating like he used to...(if at all) moving kinda sluggish, and also doing the oscar patented "pout"...I'm not sure how long the temp was at 68 degrees. ack. I guess all I can do is give it a few days with that nice "balmy" temp back up....maybe he's just chilled to the air bladder. lol

Oh and BTW. HAPPY NEW YEAR

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
alexk77
  • MushuCarlton
  • Heater
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
  • Question
  • blindfaith429