Help guys Important

1. Cavedweller3609 Initiate Member

Something is wrong with my mothers freshwater tank she has red parrots in the tank and my dad did a water change and took all the water out and put new water in. Isnt that something you dont do? Then he just throws the fish back in there without acclimating them or nothing now some of them are on the floor or acting strange im afraid they might die what do i do ? One of them was on the side on the gravel i thought it might be an amonia problem so i took out like 20% of water and added filtrated water what do i do now guys i tested the amonia before i did that and saw it read 3.0 i know that's not good. Im not so good at freshwater tanks help please!

2. Crissandra331 Member Member

Hello :)

Do you know if your mother treats any of her water with buffers to closer mimic the parrots natural water or do you de-chlorinate your tap?

What is the current pH?

Temperature?

Tank Size?

So removing that amount of water can cause major fluctuations. Even more if you adjust your tap water before putting it in the tank.

There are a few things that may be at play here.

When the water was removed and replaced it was not closely matched in parameters whether that is pH, temperature, hardness, etc.

A .2 pH spike has been known to kill fish, this is one possibility.

Another possibility is when the water was replaced it could have not been de-chlorinated killing the beneficial bacteria this could increase ammonia in your tank causing the 3.0 ppm peak. Another thing to keep in mind is pH. Ammonia is present in aquarium water only if the pH is above 6.8. If the pH is below 6.8 ammonia takes on the form of nonpoisonous Ammonium. You will want to do water changes to remove this from your water

I would also check to see if any Nitrites are present in the tank as well.

I would also ask how often you guys change the water? Sometimes when you go long periods of not cleaning and the water condensates the mineral and waste content gets concentrated from constantly being topped off so when I large water change came along could have really put the tank out of wack.

But in the mean time I would work on getting the ammonia down and try to match the water as closely as possible to whats already in there with the parrots.

And also was curious if you are familiar with the Nitrogen Cycle?

And depending on what kind of filterated water I would stick to the tap water and de-chlorinate, it holds beneficial bacteria that is going to be very important in the stabilization of your tank. Bottled/Filtered water does not contain this beneficial bacteria.

I would also if you have the means to go get some TSS Tetra Safe Start or some type of bottled beneficial bacteria to get your bio load kick started back. Right now it sounds like you may have had a die of and its having a hard time processing the fish waste in your tank. This will help replenish some of the load you lost.

On a side note Welcome to Fishlore :) Great Place, Great People and Always very helpful!

Keep asking questions adding info and updating your profile questions, we'll do our best to help you figure it out :)

3. Cavedweller3609 Initiate Member

My temperature is at 75degrees the tank is around 75 gallons and the ph is 7.4 my parents didn't often change the water just replaced it when it got low which seemed to work the fish never got sick but this time im not sure why he took out all the water. We've had these parrots for a while how would i get the amonia down just keep on taking out more water and putting in tap water?

4. Cavedweller3609 Initiate Member

Thanks so much for the help ill be going to my local pet shop to be asking for more help thanks again

5. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Well, it seems odd that there would be a lot of ammonia if there was just a 100% water change. Is there ammonia in your tap water? What test kit were you using?

6. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yes as long as their is no ammonia present in your tap water I would take about 20-30% of the water out and replace it till the ammonia level recedes. I would be very careful about taking advice from your LFS, I always encouraging learning but make sure you double check their advice to ensure it would positively imply to you :)

And correction from my previous post their is not beneficial bacteria in tap because of the chlorine present but their are certain metallic ions like calcium and magnesium that are present that make up the hardness of your water which I believe aids you to maintain a consistent pH.

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

There are a lot of things that could have lead to your fish not doing well. Is anyone in your house familiar with the nitrogen cycle? If not, please read up on it (words should be link to article).

Even if you do not know about the nitrogen cycle, a tank will cycle on it's own (but you would probbaly lose fish during the process) so long as the filter media was not changed. But since the filter media holds all the bacteria that cycles a tank, replacing the media will leave you uncycled. So if the media was replaced that could be part of the problem.

Also, as mentioned, a pH swing can kill fish. If the water went unchanged for a long time, there is a good chance that the pH had dropped over time. Then by doing a 100% water change, a water with a higher pH was added which can cause difficulties for the fish.

Lastly, the end product of the nitrogen cycle is nitrates. If a partial water change is not prefomed on a regular basis (usually weekly) the nitrates will build and build. Then by doing a 100% water change and adding fresh nitrate free water the fish could be affected by the sudden change in nitrates.

Best of luck!