HELP! Guppy tail drooping and coming to bottom of tank!

V1kram
Hello everyone,

I just noticed my guppy is drooping his tail and swimming to the bottom of the tank and resting. Can someone help me? My params are great.

Dunk2
What are great parameters, how long has your tank been running and how often are you doing water changes?

V1kram
Dunk2 said:
What are great parameters, how long has your tank been running and how often are you doing water changes?
I do to 15% water changes every week. Its been running for 7 months. Params are:
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
ph: 6.5
Hardness: 60 ppm

Dunk2
V1kram said:
I do to 15% water changes every week. Its been running for 7 months. Params are:
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
ph: 6.5
Hardness: 60 ppm
What size tank and how many/what type of fish?

V1kram
Dunk2
V1kram said:
40 gallon. 2 pairs of rams. 2 angelfish.
With that stock, you should have some nitrates if you’re fully cycled? And especially since you’re only changing 15% of water every week?

V1kram
Dunk2 said:
With that stock, you should have some nitrates if you’re fully cycled? And especially since you’re only changing 15% of water every week?
i keep a ton of pothos in the tank. The suck up everything

Dunk2
I know nothing about guppies, but what type and is it temperature compatible with Rams?

V1kram
Dunk2 said:
I know nothing about guppies, but what type and is it temperature compatible with Rams?
I have the temp at 81. I did research and it should be fine at that temp. The guppy is a male dumbo, moscow metal lace guppy

Frisbee
Dunk2 said:
Well, that depends on plants, etc. I’ve got a 30 gal with 2 goldfish and zero nitrates because it’s full of a heck ton of plants, plus I suspect denitrification playing a roll in it.

OP, is the tank planted? What type of filtration do you have and is it on 24/7 or not?

No matter what the problem is, it’s always good to do a big waterchange if a fish is showing signs of illness. Can you try and be specific as possible about the symptoms? Are his fins clamped? Does have any outward signs of illness or injury?

Dunk2
Frisbee said:
Well, that depends on plants, etc. I’ve got a 30 gal with 2 goldfish and zero nitrates because it’s full of a heck ton of plants, plus I suspect denitrification playing a roll in it.

OP, is the tank planted? What type of filtration do you have and is it on 24/7 or not?

No matter what the problem is, it’s always good to do a big waterchange if a fish is showing signs of illness. Can you try and be specific as possible about the symptoms? Are his fins clamped? Does have any outward signs of illness or injury?
Yep, the OP likely just explained it.

To the OP. . . Anytime a fish is acting odd, I’d suggest focusing on water quality first. In my opinion, you‘re not changing enough water every week.

Tagging a few guppy experts. A picture might help.
SanDiegoRedneck
emeraldking

V1kram
Frisbee said:

It is a heavily planted tank. I have an aqueon quiet flow 40 on there. I would do a water change, but one of the ram pairs spawned in there and I don't want to disturb them.
Frisbee said:

he droops his tail sometimes, his tail is a little frayed, but its been like that since I got him.
Dunk2 said:
Yep, the OP likely just explained it.

To the OP. . . Anytime a fish is acting odd, I’d suggest focusing on water quality first. In my opinion, your not changing enough water every week.

Tagging a few guppy experts. A picture might help.
SanDiegoRedneck
emeraldking
But if the water quality is ok, then it shouldn't matter right?

Dunk2
V1kram said:
It is a heavily planted tank. I have an aqueon quiet flow 40 on there. I would do a water change, but one of the ram pairs spawned in there and I don't want to disturb them.

he droops his tail sometimes, his tail is a little frayed, but its been like that since I got him.

But if the water quality is ok, then it shouldn't matter right?
You can’t measure water quality based only on the things you’re testing for.

As an example, minerals in water get depleted over time. The only way to replace them is with water changes.

Mindelo
How old is your guppy? They don't have a large lifespan, i guess around 2 years, and with cross breeding it might be even less.

I might get "hit" for this, but...
Maybe we should stop doing water changes just because "i do x % every week"
We might be hurting our fishes

V1kram
Dunk2 said:
You can’t measure water quality based only on the things you’re testing for.

As an example, minerals in water get depleted over time. The only way to replace them is with water changes.
I dose a little bit of salt in the tank every 1 1/2 months

Dunk2
Mindelo said:
I might get "hit" for this, but...
Maybe we should stop doing water changes just because "i do x % every week"
We might be hurting our fishes
Not sure the point you’re attempting to make?

V1kram
Will someone please tell me what to do?!

Mindelo
V1kram said:
Will someone please tell me what to do?!
i asked you how old is your fish?
and i told you that guppies have a 2 year lifespan.
maybe the fish is just old

V1kram
Mindelo said:
i asked you how old is your fish?
and i told you that guppies have a 2 year lifespan.
maybe the fish is just old
The fish is 6 months old

Batmantheanglefish
Have your angels or rams been aggressive to the guppie? It could have caused stress on the fish leading to an illness.

V1kram
Batmantheanglefish said:
Have your angels or rams been aggressive to the guppie? It could have caused stress on the fish leading to an illness.
No that I have seen. I don't think they have been aggressive, i spend lots of time at that tank.

Batmantheanglefish
Oh ok sometimes stress causes disease so that’s why I was thinking that.

Mindelo
V1kram did your fish get better?

V1kram
Mindelo said:
V1kram did your fish get better?
Sadly, he passed away a couple days ago. Nowadays, it super hard to find guppies that will tolerate temperatures above 78 degrees.

Batmantheanglefish
Sorry for your loss! :(

Mindelo
V1kram said:
Sadly, he passed away a couple days ago. Nowadays, it super hard to find guppies that will tolerate temperatures above 78 degrees.
too bad he died

Although inbreeding is part of nature, it does affect certain genes and weak the species as a result.
guppy's are crazy breeders and are very "prone" to inbreeding and therefore become weak.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom