Help Guppy Rescue, Fin Rot?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Books&Fish, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Books&Fish

Books&Fish Well Known Member Member

I rescued 3 guppies today (from family not the store). They were in cycled conditions in a 30g with rosy barbs, peppered corys, and platys at 72F. However the source water had 30ppm nitrates in it. The tank was regularly at 80ppm at the time of (recently) weekly changes. I think this constantly high nitrate reading is the cause for most of their condition.

My tank is a 20H, 75F, cycled with 5-10ppm nitrates between weekly 50% water changes, and these three are joining 5 male guppies, 1 platy, and 6 Kuhlis.

• One is a female, so pale/clear that I can't tell her original color. She has a slit in her tail fin.
    • Next guppy is a pink mosaic male, super faded with several slits in the tail fin and what appears to be bites missing or shredding.
    • Final male guppy, I think is a sunrise guppy. He has only a sliver of tail fin left with white and gray fuzziness to the ends. I fear it is spreading up his body.
    My guppies look completely healthy except:
    • 1 seems to have a darkening/graying/blackening of his tail fin. I've been watching it closely and it seems to get darker then lighter depending on the day. I wonder if this is actually normal. However, after inspecting pictures, it seems to be spreading.
    • And my other male guppy seems to have a broken ray in his tail fin. Is this possible? The bottom edge of it folds and flops around instead of maintaining a strong triangular shape.
    So, if I need to treat, I was thinking of treating the whole 20 gallon tank. I have a 10gallon QT that's newly cycled (and was saving for a shrimp colony that's on order and en route).

The three rescues: SAM_3328.JPG
    My darkening male, taken about 2-3 weeks ago. This is where he is lighter. When he's darker the fin is almost black at the bottom and a bit on the tips too. The next one shows that it's spreading to the top, taken today. SAM_3164.JPG
    SAM_3335 2.jpg
    My broken rays. Sorry for poor quality. Guppies are tough to photograph:
    SAM_3168.JPG

Meds I have on hand:
    Furan-2
    General Cure
    Paraguard
    Tetracycline
    Kanaplex

HELP! @CindiL ?

2. Fishboy321

Fishboy321 Valued Member Member

I would wait a week and see if it fixes itself in a new quarantine tank and if that no work use some erythromycin or general cure, just from my experiences that will work

3. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

Other possibly relevant info for my darkening guppy was that I had a lot of BBA and red algae in the tank. A few days ago to a week I managed to get rid of it. I don't know if the darkening guppy has some of that algae, if that's possible?

All three rescues are eating and swimming, so I will continue to watch them closely.

4. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

I would also hire up the heat as 72 is kinda low.

5. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

Yeah, I didn't like it either, but baby steps with convincing my mom to take care of her fish right, especially when it comes to spending money. (Cycling right with a good filter, media because cartridges aren't good enough, heaters, places to hide, high nitrates so buy plants, lights for said plants, etc).

Rest assured, they are now at 75-76.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Repete after me, super clean water, super clean water, super clean water :)

Fin rot most of the time will heal up on its own if the water is pristine.

7. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

Even if his fin is 80% gone and the stubs are white fuzzy? If so, that's great. I can handle clean water. Meds is where my questions are.

8. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I would put all of these guppies in a separate container and put a sponge filter in there with them, if you have an extra back up, I would dose some food with kanaplex if you can, if not dose the tank, but I'd try to do water changes very often until they are healed up. I wouldn't put them in the tank with your other fish.

9. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

I do have a 10 gallon QT. But it just cycled, so maybe not established enough to survive a medication treatment, and that was where my shrimp were going to go when they come in the mail (ordered last week, supposed to arrive this week, but they haven't shipped yet.)

I could put them in the QT and dose them, and put the shrimp in my 20 and hope no one eats them. Is that a better plan?

10. APierce

I know the guppies and platys will leave shrimp alone but I'm not sure about the loach's. Have any of these fish already been in the 20 gal? If they have then maybe you should just dose the 20gal tank, I'd do a super water change right after you put them in your 20 gal though, before you dose the meds.

11. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

I already put the 3 rescues in my 20gallon. That photo of them in the transport container was them adapting to the tank. I think I'll do a big water change and dose the whole tank. That way any exposure or current fin rot is treated, and my shrimp have a safe place reserved for them. I'll dose the food and put the leftovers in the tank.

12. APierce

That sounds like a good idea :)

13. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

Okay, 60% water change done, prime added, and a meal of flakes soaked into Kanaplex with the remaining dose dissolved and dumped into the tank. I made sure everyone ate some. I think they're thrilled for an extra snack.:)

14. APierce

I think if you keep up the the water changes and the dosing they will be okay in time :)

15. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

I've got an update. The male with the sliver of a tail fin, now has only a single ray left. His flayed fins are fuzzier and the pink mosaic male's fins are more frayed like they're falling off from the ends inward. The female looks fine.

Today is day 3, second dose of Kanaplex. I hope I see some improvement fast because it's not looking good for the orange sliver guppy.

They aren't eating the medicated food. :( They take in bites and spit it out. But at least the rest of the dose is in the water. Hoping the loss of fins at least slows down soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  16. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, I didn't see your tag on Sunday. Kanaplex is good but I think I'd add Furan-2 also. The fuzziness and degrading fin length on the tail leads me to believe its columnaris. Is there anything on their faces or bodies?

17. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

Hi @CindiL, the one with a small sliver of a tail fin has fuzziness on his body on the edge where his fin should be, otherwise they all have healthy faces and bodies.

Sliver tail has almost nothing left for a fin. Furan-2 has been added. I hope this one works, since Kanaplex isn't yet. Tomorrow is dose 3 of Kanaplex and dose 2 of Furan-2. Fingers crossed!!

I looked closer and I think sliver tail has new growth! Some of that fuzziness is looking more like baby fin rays growing. It's not that fuzzy! No other fish improvement yet, but I'm excited.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  18. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I can't believe that little guy can still swim with the majority of his tail gone.
    You can do multiple rounds of the Furan-2 if needed, just make sure to do water changes after each 4 day round.

19. APierce

Sorry to leave you hanging, I was not getting notifications of any postings :( At least cindi saw this though! Hopefully it is just the tail growing back and the other meds will help out as well.

20. OP
    OP
    Books&Fish

Update: sliver guppy has lost all but the tiniest nub of fin, but the good news is he is regrowing fin well. He has about 1/8" of new fuzzy growth (new tissue not fungus). Bad news is my pink mosaic rescue has lost a lot of fin. His tips are not discolored, I don't know why they are falling off. The tank received 4 doses of Kanaplex and 4 doses of Furan-2. I put in Purigen yesterday to remove the meds and watch for a bit. Is the continuing shedding of tail fin indicative of more infection? Or should I just let them have a break? SAM_3394.JPG

Here's sliver's current photo. Sorry it's blurry. He's hanging in the plant all the time today and I had to zoom in. SAM_3402.JPG

@CindiL , another round of Furan-2?

Better view of the fin: SAM_3423.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice