Help Guppy Id?

MD_Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got one fancy guppy from petsmart a few months ago and she had babies. She was a full red albino, or looked like one. Anyways, I let the population explode in my 20g tank. After a while I started to see these guppies in the picture below. I culled around half the population, all the guppies that didn’t show this, and have been culling all the ones that didn’t have it slowly out. The strain is no where near pure but I have a solid foundation. Any ideas what they could be?
IMG_8252.jpg
IMG_8361.jpg
IMG_8356.jpg

Mainly orange tails with a semi circle black ring followed by black dots.

Attachments

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You picked up a female guppy of unknown genetics and that was mated with a male of also unknown genetics (most likely cobra, they don't separate until they go to store).
If she were an albino it would have shown in further offspring since you have all guppies she has spawned together, so sibling will breed with sibling and produce recessive genetic fish.
You do not have a solid foundation or a pure line, you have mutt guppies as all from petstores are so you cannot say who gave your female their sperm so you cannot get an exact measurement of what fish you will get unless you have done what you have and just let them drop and breed as they wanted.

MD_Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes I’m aware the guppies from pet stores like petco and petsmart are mutts with crazy genetics. When I said it looked like an albino red I wasn’t trying to say it WAS I was trying to said that’s what it looked like.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MD_Plants said:
Yes I’m aware the guppies from pet stores like petco and petsmart are mutts with crazy genetics. When I said it looked like an albino red I wasn’t trying to say it WAS I was trying to said that’s what it looked like.
If you read the parenthesis you would see i stated they are most likely cobra guppies, which is the common of the males that can catch females to breed with.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom