Help: Guppies Acting Weird

1. A

Ariyan Member Member

I added some new plants to my 29 gallon fish tank and now all my guppy are grouping together at the top corner. What do I do? 20180528_123929.jpg

2. cody2posh

cody2posh Member Member

Did you wash the plants before adding them? Anything else go in the tank other than the plants?

3. OP
    OP
    A

Ariyan Member Member

Yes I thuraly washed them and I also took a few fish back to the fish store because they were too aggressive

4. cody2posh

cody2posh Member Member

How many and what kind (male:female) are you stocked with?

5. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

They may just be adjusting to the change of stocking. In nature if fish suddenly disappear that means danger. Your guppies are just responding to what they see as a potential threat.

6. OP
    OP
    A

Ariyan Member Member

I took out all of the mollies, I had them for a few months

It kind of worries me what if they all die 20180528_124927.jpg

7. Mazeus

Another thought, have you checked your parameters?

8. OP
    OP
    A

Ariyan Member Member

Yes everything seems to be normal

9. cody2posh

cody2posh Member Member

Yeah he pretty much nailed it. I'd check the water parameters. If everything is in line, they're likely just stressed from the addition of a plant and removal of fish. Don't mess with it too much if nothing is wrong, otherwise you'll just stress the fish more.

Also make sure your pump/filter is circulating the water well enough, it's always possible the oxygen is low in the water. But again, as long as your tank IS CYCLED I wouldn't worry too much. Dim the lights around the tank for a day or so and let them acclimate, then update us.

I know it's easier said than done, but really TRY not to worry :)

10. OP
    OP
    A

Ariyan Member Member

Ok I hope they don't die I did not know that adding plants and taking out fish could be so stressful to guppys

11. cody2posh

cody2posh Member Member

Don't worry, guppies are super easy going fish, so if there's one group that'll be ok with a little stress, it's guppies.

Like I said just give them some dark and some time, check back in tomorrow and if they're still acting weird let us know

12. Mazeus

I agree, give them time and they should be fine.

13. OP
    OP
    A

Ariyan Member Member

Some of them are pregnant I hope they don't absorb the fry I read online that they can do that if they get stressed. I only took out the mollies and added new plants so the fry could live

14. Mazeus

If you have both male and female guppies, you will have no problems having fry in the tank.

15. OP
    OP
    A

Ariyan Member Member

There back to normal I was thinking about getting another male guppy but I don't know because they don't have as much fry as they should I don't know why, maby the 2 males lost interest in breeding

@Mazeus
    What do you think

16. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

If you have a male guppy in with females, you will have fry. Lots and lots and lots of fry.

17. OP
    OP
    A

Ariyan Member Member

Two fry every month isn't exactly lots and lots and I have 5 females

18. cody2posh

cody2posh Member Member

Relax, be patient

19. OP
    OP
    A

Ariyan Member Member

Every time my fish had fry I take them out and they just vanish I don't even know where they go. Do I just leave them in and hope for the best?

20. cody2posh

cody2posh Member Member

Yes you're probably killing them with stress from the change. Just leave them alone. I have a tank with 7 adult guppies and about 60 fry in there after 45 days. Just let it be. Literally just don't touch it or them. It's so much easier than you're making it