HELP Goldfish Problem

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by 55g Golden tank, Jul 5, 2016.

1. 5

55g Golden tank New Member Member

I have a 55g with a commen goldfish and 2 fancies (Yes i know but i hand feed them) and the commen is always near the surface of the tank in only ONE corner but its not gasping nor floating its just there, sometimes he scavenges for food for about 15 minutes and then gets back to its corner,my fancies are not acting this way. Tested for ammiona and nitrites and nitrates and got 0 for both and 40. Filters are penguin 350 with aqueon 55/75

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Is there anything different about that corner? Different light levels, decor, view, anything? Is it the closest or furthest point from the filters?

3. fisharegreat8962

fisharegreat8962 Valued Member Member

I can't think of anything that it could be, but don't panic yet. As you said, he scavenges for food and swims around, so it's not so bad that he can't swim, but even if it's not affecting the other fish, sometimes it takes a while for it to get to the other fish. I'd do daily (yes, every day) 30% to 40% water changes for at least a week and see if there's any improvement. Keep us updated on any changes or spikes in water parameters. If there's no improvement, I'd quarantine him, and let us know if anything happens to him or the other fish in there with him.

4. OP
    OP

The corner that his is in is heavily planted and is away from the filter but close to the a air stone

5. OP
    OP

Ive already did a 50% water change and added prime with a small dosed (1ml) of ammiona remover just to be on the safe side

6. Aquaphobia

If you move the air stone, does he go to it?

7. OP
    OP

Not sure havent move it yet

8. OP
    OP

Nope he just goes and hides in the plants, his not new to the tank,his been in that tank for a year and a half, a couple of months ago the tank was crowded with commen goldies, about 7 where in there before

9. Aquaphobia

And did his hiding begin right after the other goldies left?

10. OP
    OP

Nope now his swimming around the corner but not near the surface

He began hiding when i moved it

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016
  11. Aquaphobia

Hm. What else is in that corner? Maybe he's just comfortable there:;dk

How about the fancies? Do they have a favourite spot? Is he maybe avoiding them?

12. OP
    OP

Fancies are everywhere but most of the time, they done get near him

The corner that his in has a pretty big cave, thats where he hides

You may be right, it might just be his comfortable in that spot

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016
  13. Aquaphobia

That may be the answer then. I he starts gasping or his behaviour or appearance changes then there may be something to worry about but for now I think he's just the nervous type for whatever reason.

Maybe try some enrichment? You can try adding ping pong balls or new foods/veggies/treats or decorations. Even a new rock for them to explore might help bring him out of his shell:)

14. OP
    OP

Ok thanks for helping me out :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice