Help! Goldfish Floating Upside Down.

1. stellabella

stellabella Initiate Member

I have two fancy goldfish. One is a fantail that I have had for a little over a year. The second fish as a juvenile ryukin that I've only had for two or three months.

My problem is with the new fish, who obsessively looks for food at the surface to the point where he swallows so much air that he developed a swimbladder issue and has started floating upside down. It isn't a water quality or oxygenation problem. All of the water parameters are normal and the tank is well oxygenated. My other fish is not exhibiting any abnormal behavior. I don't use floating food. I feed sinking pellets, soaked in tank water. Part of me feels like I should separate the two of them because they're so competitive with food which I know is normal but I feel like the new fish is especially aggressive.

Today is the second time in three days that he's been upside down. The first time I stopped feeding and it resolved pretty quickly. Today seems more severe and I'm afraid it won't resolve. I am super upset right now. I keep nudging him to turn upright and he promptly flips right back over into a belly up position.

Is there anything I can do to prevent him from being able to gulp air at the surface? Can I use mesh or something just below the surface? And what happens if it just won't resolve? Will he eventually die from floating upside down? Any thoughts or ideas or suggestions are welcome.
    Help.......

2. Planted Aquatics

Planted Aquatics Member Member

What size is your tank? What filter do you use? Does he look bloated? Where is your water line at in the tank? Sending a couple of pictures would help if you could do that. If he has swim bladder from gulping air, quarantine him, fast him for three days and after that give him a thawed frozen pea. Take the coating/shell off of the pea, then cut it into halves or whatever size will fit in his mouth.

3. OP
    OP
    stellabella

My current tank is a 20 gallon long I know that they need a bigger tank and I have a 33 gallon long ordered. I'm running two filters one is a PF 20 and the other is a PF 30. They are National Geographic filters. I have two Air pumps with air stones. I normally give them shelled peas at least twice a week in addition to their regular diet. I do have a 10 gallon that I can use to quarantine the little guy.
    And yes his belly is bloated. Water level is about an inch from the top.

Attached Files:

4. Planted Aquatics

Use the quarentine tank for him. I recommend to fast him for 3 days then give him a few peas like I already stated. 33g long will be great! The poor little guy does look pretty bad, I hope he gets better. Are you underfeeding them too often?

5. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

how do you feed your regular food? is it pellets or flakes?

I would also try the fasting for 2-3 days then feed 1 boiled de shelled peas.

goldfish diet should be 60-70% veggies so you should be feeding deferent veggies such as boiled broccoli , carrots , spinach ect atleast 3 times a week plus once a week boiled peas.

6. OP
    OP
    stellabella

I'm definitely not under feeding. Sometimes I think I'm actually over feeding to make sure they're both eating enough. My fantail looks perfectly healthy.
    I have him the 10 gallon quarantine now with one of the air stones and the smaller filter. He seems to be swimming a little better, not flipping over as much as he was. If he stays towards the bottom he seems to be OK it's when he swims up to the top he flips over. I also think maybe he's constipated because I'm not seeing much poop coming from him but he's definitely been eating. I've never used Epsom salts before but did read that if he's constipated up some epsom salt might help him poop. I know peas work for that but I'm trying to figure out if a quick fix is possible.

7. OP
    OP
    stellabella

I feed him sinking pellets that are pre-soaked in tank water. I do feed peas but haven't tried any other veggies. He's in quarantine now and I will be fasting him for 2 to 3 days.

8. JesseMoreira06

Epsom salt does work for blooded goldies , its 1/8 tsp per 5g of water.

Normaly people try the pea trick first and if that doesn't work then an Epsom salt might do the trick.

9. JesseMoreira06

oh ok perfect with the soaking pellets before feeding!!

and ya I would diffinetly up the veggies in their diet very important for them , they need more veggies then protein.

also what's their current temp at?

10. OP
    OP
    stellabella

Temperature is right around 70°.

11. JesseMoreira06

oh ok if you get it down to 68f that would be great.

but for the Goldie currently bloated leave it the way it is and try the pea treatment if that doesn't work then I would go ahead and give a Epsom salt bath.

12. OP
    OP
    stellabella

How do I do an Epson salt bath? Can I put salt straight into the quarantine tank? Or do I have to take the fish out and put them in a separate container for the bath?

13. OP
    OP
    stellabella

How do I do an Epson salt bath? Can I put salt straight into the quarantine tank? Or do I have to take the fish out and put them in a separate container for the bath?

14. JesseMoreira06

normaly Epsom salt baths are for people who don't have a QT tank and you don't want to put salt in the main tank so yes you would remove the fish into a bucket and add a larger amount of salt but in your situation since you have a QT just add 1/8 teaspoon of EPSOM salt per 5g of water with daily 50% water changes adding back Epsom salt for the amount of gallons token out.

15. OP
    OP
    stellabella

Okay thanks for explaining. :)

16. Planted Aquatics

Would it be ok for bettas, and how much would you put in a 2 gal. bucket?

17. JesseMoreira06

for a bath salt or to keep your Betta for a couple days in it?