HELP Gold Severum and Secondary Infection after Ich

mc12345

So a new fish I purchased spread ich to all of my other fish despite it being quarantined. I also had to move my severum into an individual 20 gallon tank because of aggression a day after exposure. All fish were treated with Tetra Ick Guard for 5 days. I did daily 25% water changes and have had the heater at approx. 80 degrees F the first signs of ich, which was about 7 days now. All fish responded to treatment and the ich has been gone for 2 days now. My severum, however, is acting strange.

He had clamped fins and it appears that there is a white fungus spot on both of his eyes and on his bottom fin. I also noticed the stringy fungus on all of the decor in the tank so everything was replaced. I just used Imagitarium Bacterial Infection Remedy because it was the only thing anyone had that treated fungus...I went to 3 different stores. I just recently noticed even weirder behavior. He is twitching (not just his fins, his whole body) and is slamming into the tank decor, heater, filter, etc. I got it on video:

Not sure what is happening. Is this a symptom of residual ich? Or is there a new issue that I have to deal with besides the fungus?

TamLL

I'm not an expert... but clamped fins means he's not happy or he's stressed. white spots... could be ick.? . since you have other fish that had it..

what are your water perameters?

clamped fins are a sign of distress...
Dashing against objects is called 'flashing' and is usually the result of skin irritation. Basically their skin itches so they try to scratch it. If it really itches they injure themselves.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will respond and be able to assist you..better than me... ...best of luck to that poor little guy..

Upvote 0

mc12345

I'm not an expert... but clamped fins means he's not happy or he's stressed. white spots... could be ick.? . since you have other fish that had it..

what are your water perameters?

clamped fins are a sign of distress...
Dashing against objects is called 'flashing' and is usually the result of skin irritation. Basically their skin itches so they try to scratch it. If it really itches they injure themselves.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will respond and be able to assist you..better than me... ...best of luck to that poor little guy..
Thank you I just feel so bad because I don't know what to do. I've also grown quite attached to him (his name is Calvin) in the past month since I got him so I would hate for anything to happen to him. I have treated the ich already, so I was thinking it was either stress or a secondary infection. They had obvious white spots all over their fins a week ago and responded to treatment quite well. Spots disappeared after 2 doses, but continued for a few more days to make sure the ich was gone and increased the temp to speed up the lifecycle of the parasites. The rest of the fish, who were all exposed at the same time, are perfectly fine now. The severum is the only one doing bad (though he hasn't had spots in a week).
The 20 gallon tank he is in was not cycled. I wasn't planning on using it until my larger tank was established, but had to place him in there after he was showing aggression towards another fish I had placed in there. Also don't have established media in the larger tank because I had an outbreak of mouth rot after a local pet store sold me sick tetras. I disinfected everything because it spread so quickly. I check the water parameters daily and the ammonia does not go above 0.25 ppm. No nitrites or nitrates since it isn't cycled. The pH is 7.2 so relatively neutral. The temp is also at 80 degrees F. I've been doing water changes because of the medication and to maintain a lower ammonia level.
I wonder if a fungus could cause this behavior too? Or another parasite besides ich?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
awilkinson871
Replies
Views
Liv2011
Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies