Help! Gill flukes!

TanksForTalking2Me

I've had Gill flukes in my tank for 10 months now, it's taken me a long time to figure out what was happening.
It started with 1 glowlight tetra, a rosy tetra, and a pleco I rescued. I started off with getting 5 new glowlight tetras, they were the first fish I ever bought myself and I was so happy... anyway they were from PetSmart (bad idea)
After a week the old rescue glowlight tetra died but I didn't think much of it because he was old. Then the smallest glowlight tetra died and slowly the group started dying off.

My most recent death was 3 weeks ago, now I'm only left with 1 female glowlight tetra.
I know it's flukes because I've seen them swimming around my Tank.
I might get another tank when summer starts if I get a good mark in school. Im probably going to use that tank as a quarantine tank for all my fish, then I'll have to drain my 36 and restart.
Please let me know if you have any tips for dealing with these bastards, or any meds that would kill them.

Pfrozen

Flukes usually don't kill healthy fish... are you sure you don't have anchor worms? Either way, deworming medications usually work

Can you post a close up of the flukes by any chance?

TanksForTalking2Me

Pfrozen said:
Flukes usually don't kill healthy fish... are you sure you don't have anchor worms? Either way, deworming medications usually work

Can you post a close up of the flukes by any chance?
It has only affected my glowlight tetras so far, probably because they are so small? It's definitely flukes, my fish have been scratching and their gills were inflamed. I won't be able to get a photo because the flukes are only about a cm and my camera isn't that good.

Pfrozen

TanksForTalking2Me said:
It has only affected my glowlight tetras so far, probably because they are so small? It's definitely flukes, my fish have been scratching and their gills were inflamed. I won't be able to get a photo because the flukes are only about a cm and my camera isn't that good.
Those don't sound like flukes. 1 cm is pretty big. It sounds more like anchor worms to me.

Levamisole will clear them up. Fenbendazole and flubendazole will as well, but you'll need to run two treatment cycles

Latest threads

Top Bottom