Help! Gill Flukes??

Sage Exotics

My newest kuhlI loach has been acting strange since this morning, when I was making sure everyone was ok, I noticed that she was barely breathing. I lightly wiggled the plant she was in and saw no movement, thought she was dead. I got the net but when it got near her she darted away. I’ve seen her swim around and eat today, and when I look closely it appears she is barely breathing, her mouth and gills hardly move. She has been very inactive, too. None of my other creatures are acting strange, I did lose an Asian stone catfish I got yesterday but I assume he was just stressed out from switching tanks, it happens. She was perfectly normal yesterday and almost normal today, hanging out with my other, looking for food, etc. so it was quite sudden. I’m treating the tank with prazipro because I believe one of my platies have tapeworms, which does treat flukes. I can’t use any other meds with it, though. It is loach safe, very mild it doesn’t even affect my BB, so I don’t think it’s the meds and I’ve been using it for the past month anyway. Is this gill flukes? Does she have a good chance? Does prazipro help?

DutchAquarium

Prazipro is what I use in my tanks when I have a parasite problem. It works wonderful. As for the loach, they are funny like that. While it happens mostly in clown loaches, kuhlI loachs will play dead also often laying on their side motionless. Why they do that, I don't know, but it shouldn't be a big cocern.

Jenoli42

Prazipro is what I use in my tanks when I have a parasite problem. It works wonderful. As for the loach, they are funny like that. While it happens mostly in clown loaches, kuhlI loachs will play dead also often laying on their side motionless. Why they do that, I don't know, but it shouldn't be a big cocern.

We have 11 kuhli's and they will go from frantically swimming the "happy dance" to being motionless in a fraction of a second. if your loach's colour is good, I reckon it might be just fine. I do understand what you mean about their gills - when they are eating you tend to see the gills move lot.

Sage Exotics

But all day?? I may have only had her for 3 days, but she’s never done it before. You sure that’s normal?

Jenoli42

But all day?? I may have only had her for 3 days, but she’s never done it before. You sure that’s normal?

without a photo or details about whether her colouring has changed it's incredibly hard to say, sorry.

how many kuhli's do you have?

Jenoli42

also if she's new (I assume you quarantined her), I remember I read somewhere that they are nocturnal & need to adjust?

Sage Exotics

She seems fine, breathing has quickened again. Her colour didn’t change, I know they’re nocturnal but she seems very comfortable, my other one is, too. I’m sorry, I can’t quarantine, if I brought up the idea of filling a jar with tap water my mom would say no. I only have two as of now, I’ll get more when I have room. This is my first tank so I got one lonely loach I found at Petsmart and filled up my tank before getting more. Everyone appears healthy and happy, so I’m not too worried. Thank you!

Jenoli42

She seems fine, breathing has quickened again. Her colour didn’t change, I know they’re nocturnal but she seems very comfortable, my other one is, too. I’m sorry, I can’t quarantine, if I brought up the idea of filling a jar with tap water my mom would say no. I only have two as of now, I’ll get more when I have room. This is my first tank so I got one lonely loach I found at Petsmart and filled up my tank before getting more. Everyone appears healthy and happy, so I’m not too worried. Thank you!

All good, that's great news!

When you do have the room and the money, I highly recommend a small quarantine tank especially if you're buying from PetSmart. the last thing you want is to buy a fish that has ick but isn't showing the spots yet, you bring it home and then your entire tank is infected!

(if you're not keen on the waiting game to cycle a small hospital tank, you can cycle the tank by seeding the filter with a small amount of cycled media from your current tank - not too much, though). hospital tanks shouldn't have substrate at all, just a few decorations so the fish aren't stressed, cycled filter, airstone & heater. you could get all of that second hand (except the cycled filter media) for pretty cheap.

after that, your loaches will want friends! i've read they're most comfy when there are at least 6 - 10. of course, the numbers depend on how big your tank is volume wise & dimensions... but for now, i'm really glad your fish are healthy

good luck!

Sage Exotics

I’ll get a quarantine tank eventually then, won’t be any time soon. My mom says this hobby is too expensive. I don’t usually but from Petsmart, I buy from Big Al’s, they have the best selection and quarantine all their fish before hand. The tanks look perfect, no dirt or sick fish (except this one time I found what looked like a minnow of some sort, a dying shrimp, and one mystery fry in a tank. All were eating three dead horse-face loaches. It was a weird sight), their ottos and puffers are always nice and fat, the staff are very knowledgeable and are always doing maintenance on the tanks. Never had a bad fish from there. That’s where I got this kuhli, my black kuhlI is from Petsmart, and I also have a dwarf gourami from there. Everything else is from big Al’s!
I’ll look into quarantine setup when I get one, it sounds pretty easy. I’ll for sure get more friends, like I said, I filled up the tank and have no more room, so it will be a while before I can get more (hopefully). Thank you!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
schmalzy_x0
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
bmblsad
Replies
Views