Help, gh/kh/ph questions and dying fish.

• Thread starter LeviS
  • Start date

LeviS

I moved 2 or 3 months ago and set up my tanks, my fish have been doing fine. Recently something happened with the water. There was a leak or something the water company worked on at a main line. Apparently something was going on that made the water authorities have a meeting. People were getting rashes etc. I tested the water.
75ppm GH
8.4 PH
300ppm KH
0 Ammonia
20 Nitrate( dosed fert yesterday)
Planted tank with Co2.
The PH is very high considering I'm running co2, I've lost 4 tetras in past 3 days, one is swimming upside down and I think he's gone now. What do you think or recommend? KH is way to high, ph is high GH is good, i don't know the outcome of the water authority meeting yet or what happened. I've had the fish for a year.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
You can try buying some RO water. It doesn't have any minerals in it so adding some might lower the kh. Dont do anything to the ph for now, rapidly changing it will also shock your fish.

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Has the hardness always been 300. Tetra can be extremely sensitive to change; however given that people are getting rashes i'd be more concern that the water is contaminated which would be worse. I.e, it might be more than water condition that is killing the fishes it might be something in the water.

LeviS said:
I moved 2 or 3 months ago and set up my tanks, my fish have been doing fine. Recently something happened with the water. There was a leak or something the water company worked on at a main line. Apparently something was going on that made the water authorities have a meeting. People were getting rashes etc. I tested the water.
75ppm GH
8.4 PH
300ppm KH
0 Ammonia
20 Nitrate( dosed fert yesterday)
Planted tank with Co2.
The PH is very high considering I'm running co2, I've lost 4 tetras in past 3 days, one is swimming upside down and I think he's gone now. What do you think or recommend? KH is way to high, ph is high GH is good, i don't know the outcome of the water authority meeting yet or what happened. I've had the fish for a year.

Basil

Well Known
What was the ph/GH/KH of your source water before the water issue? Has it significantly changed?
I agree with jake that there might have been some other issue that is affecting your fish. Did the water company shock the water as in add very large amounts of chlorine?

LeviS

Update, I lost 3 more. I unfortunately don't have a baseline as I lived in same place/house before and had same fish but has been over a year since been here. I didn't check parameters since I've had same water but talked to the water authority and only info I got was its now softer than it was (im guessing gh as its 75ppm). The kh is high so the buffer and ph is high. The fish have been fine for 3 months now and whatever happened with the water line and them working on it has caused it. I know for about a week there was dirt in the line, maybe they put some kind of treatment in it. I've been monitoring the parameters for the past few days nothing has changed, ph,kh,gh all same, no ammonia and less than 20 nitrates. Just gonna ride it out and see what happens, maybe send a sample of water to the water authorities for testing if i lose anymore.

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Long term probably the only safe reliable way is to filter the water - not quite ro but it removes chemical additives and what have you. RO is better but more effort because then you have to add minerals back into the water.

Good luck.

LeviS said:
Update, I lost 3 more. I unfortunately don't have a baseline as I lived in same place/house before and had same fish but has been over a year since been here. I didn't check parameters since I've had same water but talked to the water authority and only info I got was its now softer than it was (im guessing gh as its 75ppm). The kh is high so the buffer and ph is high. The fish have been fine for 3 months now and whatever happened with the water line and them working on it has caused it. I know for about a week there was dirt in the line, maybe they put some kind of treatment in it. I've been monitoring the parameters for the past few days nothing has changed, ph,kh,gh all same, no ammonia and less than 20 nitrates. Just gonna ride it out and see what happens, maybe send a sample of water to the water authorities for testing if i lose anymore.

Top Bottom