Help getting African Knife to eat

1. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Title says it all....they are supposed to be easily trained to eat flakes - unlike the BGK.:;dk

2. Toddnbecka Member Member

Depends on the individual fish IME. I once picked up a pair of juvies on a trip out of town. One would eat anything that hit the water; the other wanted live food, wouldn't even eat frozen bloodworms. It finally died, likely from starvation, because I refused to but the sick feeder guppies from the lfs. The one that ate flakes grew noticeably larger before the other one died, though not as quickly as the one I had years ago that was fed goldfish. Learned my lesson with that one; if the fish won't eat frozen or flake foods it's either returned to the lfs (couldn't return the one from out-of-town) or doomed.

3. crazedACD Member Member

Might want to try some brine shrimp or bloodworms to start off with...target feed with like a turkey baster so the others don't get ahold of the food first. Probably want to feed at lights-out as well, they like foraging overnight. As they get comfortable and eating more readily when you come around they should start coming out during other feeding times.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Mine will eat flakes, but only on the third pass around. They are wild caught, so not all adapt. It took a week or so for mine to start eating when I first got it. How long have you had it?

After looking at your stock, I think the tank may be too aggressive for the knife.

Frozen mysis shrimp are mine's favorite food.

5. Ryno Member Member

My Clown knife has never eaten anything but live fish for the past 13 years although some have luck when they are young. There is some good advice here on how to try and achieve this.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Hows it coming along?

7. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

The knife now knows that when it sees the dropper in the water, that it has bloodworms in it. ;)
    It eats the bloodworms right out of the dropper & also eats some of the homemade food in the tank after everyone else is done. :)

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, mine waits for the bushfish to slow down before he pops his head out of the cave, except if something floats in front of the cave entrance. It reminds me of an eal, how it can dart out and swallow something, then swim backwards back in the cave just as quickly as it came out. It's my favorite fish to watch.

9. Neji Member Member

Wow! Are ghost knives really that hard to raise :S