Help! Fungus or Columnaris?

Tykub1

So I originally thought this was a fungus, took pictures and went to my local pet store. On the store owner’s recommendation I purchased API fungus cure. I did the first dose earlier today and while it does look like it is helping a little bit I’m now worried it may be Columnaris. If so will the apI fungus cure help fix this? The box says it treats secondary bacteria infections. Any help is appreciated!!, on the angelfish with the stripes it looks like it developed a mucus film and was rubbing off. Looks worse in person the pictures don’t do it enough justice. (I believe this has been developing for 7 days at this point.)

Attachments

• BB928D9C-F41D-43D7-8E3A-C163D4D31344.jpeg
    BB928D9C-F41D-43D7-8E3A-C163D4D31344.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 034343C5-2DA6-4262-8A0B-161814EC162C.jpeg
    034343C5-2DA6-4262-8A0B-161814EC162C.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 1656EC49-533C-486B-B9DA-F1E08138EDC2.jpeg
    1656EC49-533C-486B-B9DA-F1E08138EDC2.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 73
  • D94144E5-4165-436B-B475-05E09F22A667.jpeg
    D94144E5-4165-436B-B475-05E09F22A667.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 73
  • C2AE9AF9-3CC5-42A9-AC96-6A820EF664C0.jpeg
    C2AE9AF9-3CC5-42A9-AC96-6A820EF664C0.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 69
  • F0B3AA92-EC75-433D-8A49-4702C4F71784.jpeg
    F0B3AA92-EC75-433D-8A49-4702C4F71784.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 65

Tykub1

Also I added 5 new fish in the tank and that same day noticed it popping up on all of the new fish which all passed away within 1-3 days. I’ve had this tank up and running for over a year with no issues.

JamesJunior97

Also I added 5 new fish in the tank and that same day noticed it popping up on all of the new fish which all passed away within 1-3 days. I’ve had this tank up and running for over a year with no issues.
HI Mr.Tykub, from your description I can most certainly (with confidence) diagnose the poor unfortunate soul is suffering from a fast-killing strain of columnaris. The main reason why I think your current medication is working is because of its secondary effect. Columnaris is actually a bacterial infection not fungal.

JamesJunior97

If possible try to treat the whole tank together as most likely the other residences have already been infected. Regular water changes alongside gravel vacuuming (daily) and treatment should save them.

Hope this help and wish you the best of luck on your endeavors.

Tykub1

If possible try to treat the whole tank together as most likely the other residences have already been infected. Regular water changes alongside gravel vacuuming (daily) and treatment should save them.

Hope this help and wish you the best of luck on your endeavors.
Thanks for the advice!! I hope the medicine works! That was the first fish I bought so it would stink to have it pass away due to not owning a quarantine tank and introducing it with new fish too quickly. (I will get a cheap 10 gallon set up for future quarantines before purchasing more fish) I am treating the whole tank. Also the meds say to treat one dose then wait 48 hours and treat again. Then after another 48 hours do the first water change. Should I follow the directions or at this point do you think it would be more beneficial to do a few water changes before the specified time.

JamesJunior97

Thanks for the advice!! I hope the medicine works! That was the first fish I bought so it would stink to have it pass away due to not owning a quarantine tank and introducing it with new fish too quickly. (I will get a cheap 10 gallon set up for future quarantines before purchasing more fish) I am treating the whole tank. Also the meds say to treat one dose then wait 48 hours and treat again. Then after another 48 hours do the first water change. Should I follow the directions or at this point do you think it would be more beneficial to do a few water changes before the specified time.
Since you already treated the tank don't do a water change now. Do it before the next time dosage is due. Get back to us after sometime and update us on the recovery process.

Best wishes and looking forward to good news from you.

DoubleDutch

Looks more like a protozoan infection to me.Try to treat with a med like Paraguard first.

Tykub1

Quick update, after initially looking like the issue was clearing up, it is now worse. One of my angelfish is so lethargic that it keeps getting stuck upside down in the plants and can not get out. (He does not look like he has the strength to make it through the day)

Should I do a big water change 50-60% and switch meds quickly or will that be too much for them to handle?

JamesJunior97

Quick update, after initially looking like the issue was clearing up, it is now worse. One of my angelfish is so lethargic that it keeps getting stuck upside down in the plants and can not get out. (He does not look like he has the strength to make it through the day)

Should I do a big water change 50-60% and switch meds quickly or will that be too much for them to handle?
If possible, do so. Change the water first. You remember the Furan 2 you talked about yesterday? Use it. Since we both know this isn't a Fungal infection anymore, Furan 2 should finish of the Columnaris.

What I believe is the columnaris somehow build a resistance to the anti-bacterial properties of the Fungal cure medication you are using so the Nitrofurazon in Furan 2 should settle it.

Good luck and keep us updated on the result.

Best wishes.

JamesJunior97

HI Tykub, so how are your fishes doing?

Tykub1

HI Tykub, so how are your fishes doing?
Unfortunately one of the three angels passed away, I think I caught it too late. On the other hand I started using jungle fungus cure which had an ingredient in it that is supposed to kill Columnaris and after two days the other fish started eating again. I am going to do a water change tonight along with a second dose and hopefully it will clear up the rest!

Tykub1

Both of the pictured angelfish I posted have now passed as well as a corydora. I think I caught this too late for the infected fish but my last angel is has started eating again. (although still sick, he is the only one to regain his appetite. The other two angels that lost their appetite never regained it and passed away.) My Bolivian ram and the rest of the corys seem to be doing fine with no visible signs of sickness. Hopefully I can get rid of this before losing anymore fish. Just goes to show how important quarantine is. I will be getting a second tank set up for quarantine after I get rid of the issue in my main tank.

Tykub1

Unfortunately one of the three angels passed away, I think I caught it too late. On the other hand I started using jungle fungus cure which had an ingredient in it that is supposed to kill Columnaris and after two days one of the angelfish started eating again. I am going to do a water change tonight along with a second dose and hopefully it will clear up the rest!

Tykub1

Both of the pictures angelfish ended up dying as well as one pepper Cory. I ended up using jungle fungus cure which is only $3 at Walmart. It took two doses and it my tank seems to finally be back to normal. I wish I had caught this sooner but I’ll be better prepared for next time. Thanks for the suggestions and comments everyone

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Repolie
Replies
Views
fjh
Replies
Views
Lauren Couch
Replies
Views