HELP, fully cycled tank, filters are clogged/full after half a day!

1. z

zaichev New Member Member

I have a 55 gallon aquarium. Ammonia, nitrates, nitrates and PH level are perfect.

It was a fully cycled tank three months ago. My family moved it about eight hours away and set it up again. It's been an ongoing battle since... the filters are clogged with a pale yellow substance. We literally go through a filter a day.

We can't tell what the problem is. My mother suggested it is algae, but we're not sure how to address that... it was by a window in my old place, it's by a window in my new place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

what i have found helps is rinse them with aquarium water. feed less and do more water changes. After i started doing this i dont ever have to change them until they fall apart

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

While I'm not sure what the gunk is, if you keep replacing your media the tank will never cycle. Can you just swish the cartridges in some dechlorinated water to clean them out?

4. OP
    OP
    z

zaichev New Member Member

I never replace the sponge... I just change the filter. Isn't that normal?

5. skar

skar Well Known Member Member

No that's not normal. Usually you should Alternate changing sponge and coal filters or whatever your using.
    I rinse out my filters each week really well in tank water during water changes. Personally I just get all the waste out of my sponge filter I rarely change it.

6. M

Mamajin Fishlore VIP Member

Could you pretty please be a bit more specific? There's 3 types of filtration in a filter; sponge/pads (traps debris and other floating particles), chemical (activated carbon/purigen which removes impurities from the water), and the actual bio-media (ceramic rings or bio-wheel. This is where the Nitrifying Bacteria colonize, reproduce, and thrive).

Which piece are you changing out?

When you rinse anything in your filter, do so with clean (not dirty tank water) dechlorinated water.