Help: Frogsitting

1. Minnow Well Known Member Member

I'm watching my neighbor's daughters' African dwarf frogs until Monday (the same neighbors whose sick bettas I watched a while ago). They just dropped off two 6-inch plastic cubes of water, each containing an inch or two of gravel, a bamboo plant, and two frogs. Now, I've never kept frogs myself, but I'm pretty sure they have similar requirements as bettas.

I want to do my best for these frogs, and I feel bad leaving them in the little cubes. Right now I have an empty, uncycled 10g tank with a heater but not a filter, and I can set up a 4g bucket with a heater and a filter. Would it be best to move the frogs to either of these, or leave them where they are? (I can divide the 10g if it helps)

Also, they said they planned on cleaning the tanks in January. I'm guessing they're doing a full water change every few months. Should I do daily water changes, or just one, or none?

Any advice is appreciated. :)

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Minnow.
    I've seem these cubes. Ugh. There's a couple of threads on the forum about them.
    The care guide given with them are as horrible as the little cubes they come in.

Do you mean tomorrow or the following Monday?
    If it's the following Monday, I would move them.
    If it's tomorrow, maybe just check their water and change it if needed.
    Print out the care guide for them, maybe they'll get them a proper tank.
    Keep them in warm room away from drafts.

The would do fine in a 10g together. You shouldn't have to divide it.
    If you have an extra air stone and a seeded sponge, you can poke a hole into the sponge and insert the air stone or even just the tubing.
    Keep an eye on the water parameters.

The only problem that I could see arising is if one has Chytrid Fungus or is ill with something else.

Good luck. Too bad you aren't closer, I know who I'd call to take care of my finned and flippered friends. :)

Edit: Come to think of it Chytrid Fungus is so highly contagious that if one of the frogs had it and your neighbors have shared anything between cubes, both would probably be infected anyway.

3. Minnow Well Known Member Member

Thanks, Lucy! :)

They're coming back next Monday, so I think I'll move the frogs to the 10g tomorrow. I don't have an airstone, but I can use the little filter from the 4g bucket with a sponge from one of the 30gs. I don't think any of them are sick, they're really active and seem relatively healthy, all things considered.

Luckily, I don't think I'll have too much of a problem giving them the proper care sheet. I think they know what to expect after I watched their bettas. :;smack

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

lol You're doing great Minnow! Can you watch my fish when I go on vacation? :)
    Ken

5. Minnow Well Known Member Member

Well, not if you want them back... XD

Sorry to double post.

I moved the frogs into the tank after letting the heater run for a bit-- I still haven't found the little filter I plan on using, but I put in some Prime so I think they'll be fine for now. I put the plastic cubes (with the lids removed) in the middle of the tank, so they can hang out there if they want, but mostly they've been swimming and floating about, enjoying the leg room.

They're incredibly entertaining-- I think once they've gone home, I'll get a few for myself. I can divide the tank again, put a couple of frogs on one side, and get a betta for the other. I've been meaning to start the tank up again anyways; I'm sure you all know how hard it is to resist the call of an empty fish tank. ;D
    :animal0068:Hello. I went ahead and merged your posts for you.
    Ken :)

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

GASP! My fish my fish! lol

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the frogs. Keep us posted and let us know when you get some of your own. Don't forget the photos! :)
    Have a Happy New Year Minnow!
    Ken

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

They're a lot of fun, aren't they minnow! I adore mine :)

8. Minnow Well Known Member Member

Even my mom thinks they're great. She's the one who suggested that I get some!

I hope they get the home they deserve when their owners get back. Their betta never got a filtered tank, just a bigger bowl (but a lot more love once they realized how much personality he had :)).

I'm debating whether to give them my spare 10g. On one hand, it would be an easy way to ensure that the frogs (and any future bettas and such) got a great home, and I hardly use it myself, but on the other hand, it's the only quarantine tank big enough for my angels. :;dk

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Honestly, I would keep your Q tank. You'd be in a bind if you really needed to use it. If they have the information on proper care and choose to upgrade "just a little bit", then that's just how they are. You can just do your best to educate them in a way that's not off-putting. It doesn't sounds like they can't afford the tank, they just choose not to provide the best.

The frogs sounds so cute. I love your idea of dividing a tank with a betta on one side and the frogs on the other.

Happy new year!

10. Minnow Well Known Member Member

Thanks, Meenu. Yes, I think I'll have to keep the qt. I think I'll show them how happy the frogs are in the 10g, and recommend getting at least a 5g for them all-- it's small for 4 frogs, but much better than two to a cube.

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

4 frogs in a 5g would be over stocked. The nitrates would climb pretty fast and they'd need more flipper room.

12. Minnow Well Known Member Member

I know, but I'm not sure they'd go for a 10g. After all, they're "just 4 little frogs." For people who are used to seeing fish in bowls and overstocked tanks, four frogs in a 10g looks rather empty. I'm afraid that if I say they need 10 gallons, they'll dismiss the idea and just leave the frogs in the cubes.

Speaking of stocking levels, is two frogs the maximum I could have on one side of a divided 10g, or could I get away with three?

13. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Stick with 2 on one side of the 10g. We're not really talking bio-load here (because you actually have 10g's of water). We're talking about swim space.
    Did you know that sometimes bettas will accept ADF's?
    Along with possible betta aggression you'd also have to make sure the frogs get food before piggy betta.
    Frogs, as you probably noticed, lunge at what they is food, so they might lunge at a flowy betta tail.

14. Minnow Well Known Member Member

Okay. Maybe I'll start out with two frogs and a betta, and put one of the frogs with the betta. If it works out, I can get another frog for the other side, and if it doesn't, I'll just move the frog over.

15. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Because of the fungus I linked to, you might want to get both frogs at the same time from the same store.
    Their quarantine time is 2 months.

16. Minnow Well Known Member Member

Oh, I only just realized that if the betta is frog-friendly, I don't have to divide the tank. That makes things simpler. So I guess I'll get three frogs, wait two months to see if they're healthy, and then get the betta. If it isn't friendly, I'll divide the tank and take one of the frogs back.

17. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

You don't have to worry about the betta getting Chytrid Fungus. It only effects amphibians. ;)

18. Minnow Well Known Member Member

:) Oh, that's good. So I can get the betta at the same time as the frogs, then?

19. Minnow Well Known Member Member

I returned the frogs today. The neighbors had come by to pick them up while I was at school, but they left without them since the frogs were still in the tank. I rounded the frogs up into their respective cubes and brought them over, and the neighbors said they were surprised the frogs could be kept in such a big tank. I replied that it was actually better for them, which excited the two little girls. They started begging their mom to let them each get their own tank (I recommended 5 gallons per pair), and one of the girls actually said, "And Mommy, can we please get them a heater? And a filter?" I was so proud. ;D

So, it looks like the frogs are going to be in good hands from now on. And, instead of money, my neighbors are paying me with two frogs of my very own! They promised to pick out the liveliest and healthiest frogs they could find.

And I think two frogs will be enough-- my best friend is looking for a home for her betta, who is apparently not good with other fish. Time to get out the divider!

(oh, and my friend is giving me the 6g tank, too!)

((I just remembered-- I decided not to give them the care guide, since it seemed a little too impolite, but I didn't end up needing it.))

20. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:happy0064: Great job Minnow.

If they're not getting blood worms, you can always take a cube over and tell them it was 'extra' that you had. ;)