HELP!! four rummynose dead in past 24hrs

Nwbearcat1998
Hello,.

I have lost four of my rummynose tetras in the past 24 hours. I've had them in the tank for about three weeks.

It's 75 gallon tank and the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are perfect and I do a weekly 25% water change.

They share the tank with 9 rainbowfish and some panda cats.

See bellow for a picture of one. Does it appear they have a scaley back? Possible disease?

Thoughts on what else it could be?

We also lost one of the kuhlI loaches today.

Nwbearcat1998
Another note is that I have not touched my filter media in about 4 weeks. Could that be causing an issue??

Nwbearcat1998
pH is 7.4, ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrates are at 10.

I recently added two coolie loaches, six rummynose and four crypts wendittI in the sand substrate.
Is the ich the scaley shiny back on them?

Could adding the plants or loaches or rummynose introduced the ich?

I will read up on the link you provided.

Thanks

Nwbearcat1998
I also completed a 40% water change tonight.

I'll start the increase of heat now and get to86 degree by tomorrow and do a 25 percent water change on Monday's and Thursdays for the next three weeks and then lower the temperature.

Nwbearcat1998
I found a product at the LFS and the guy sold me ICH-X.

I know that I need to remove my activated carbon filter in order to use it BUT once before when I was cleaning the filter some of the carbon granules fell to the substrate of the tank. I
got out the majority of it but still a few remain.

Will the activated carbon sitting on top of the PFS substrate cause issues with using this medication??

TexasDomer
The ich is the white spots on them. Likely adding the new fish caused it.

Don't use meds and heat, use one or the other. Meds can be harsh on some fish - did you check to see if that medication was safe with scaleless fish (the kuhlis)? That's why I always use heat - it seems to be much safer.

If you do go the heat method, you need to do gravel vacs at least every other day, and leave the heat up for 2 weeks. If you go the medication route, lower your temp back to normal.

The few carbon granules on the bottom shouldn't be a problem.

Nwbearcat1998
I have pool filter sand substrate. How much of a water change would you do?
How do you know when it's safe to turn the heat back down?

TexasDomer
Leave the heat up at 86 F for two weeks, like the link says.

And just enough of a water change to gravel vac the entire substrate.

Nwbearcat1998
How long do you suspect it to take to hear to 85 degrees?

I turned up my 250watt heater almost 24 hours ago and it's only come up 1.5 degrees.

I've been testing the water with a neat thermometer. Maybe I need a different type of thermometer.

TexasDomer
Depends on the starting temp. The thermometer should be fine, but heaters aren't always calibrated. While the dial may say 86 F, it may only heat to 80 F. So you may need to adjust the dial every 12 hours or so to increase the temp. You want the temp to increase slowly too.

Nwbearcat1998
Starting at 79 and 75 gallon tank. I'm only up to 81 bit heater light has been on all day I believe

TexasDomer
With such a large body of water and a small heater, it's going to take a while. I would actually add a second heater too, so your first one isn't having to work so hard.

Nwbearcat1998
I had an old 100 watt heater setting around so I added that on the other end.

Only 2 of 11 rummynose left and they look good so hopefully the temperature rises over the weekend enough to cure it all.

Nwbearcat1998
That did it. I'm up 85.

Latest threads

Top Bottom