Help found one of my danios in my filter

The fish guy11122

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello so to day i came home to find one of my zebra danios in my filter!!. I quickly got it out and put it back in my tank. It is still swimig around but is very beaten up and has body saws and shred fins. Is there any thing i can do to save it. Please help

He is in very bad shape!!!!!

Five 97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you post a picture? If it's that bad I'd consider putting it down.

BellatheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Make sure your water is pristine. What are your parameters? I would put it in a breeding net to stop it being beaten up by other fish and add some stress coat to the water if you have some to help him heal. If it isnt too bad it should fix itself in good water. Can you post a picture?

If it is too bad then I agree with above post, euthanasia may be the best option.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fish guy11122 said:
Hello so to day i came home to find one of my zebra danios in my filter!!. I quickly got it out and put it back in my tank. It is still swimig around but is very beaten up and has body saws and shred fins. Is there any thing i can do to save it. Please help
Hello guy...

There's nothing you can do. Just keep the tank water extremely clean. Consider going to sponge filtration. One dual sponge filter will easily work in tanks up to 50 gallons and are roughly 10 to $12.00 shipped. Amazon or one of the other online businesses carry them. These filters are no threat to your fish. They work with an air pump and you can get a good one for $20.00. This is way cheaper than the standard filter that hangs on the back of the tank.

Use a sponge filter and change half the tank water every week and your fish will be safe and healthy.

Old

Dovah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A strong and healthy fish will almost never succumb to the suction of a filter input. I'd look at what caused your fish to become weak enough to be pulled in. What are your water parameters? Tank size? Tank mates?

The fish guy11122

Valued Member
Reaction score
The tank is 64 litres. Nitrate=0 nitrite =0. All the fish are healthy and happy. The danio jumped into the filter through the lip at the top of my hang on back filter. I will try to get a pic of the danio and the filter. Thanks for all the responses

I cant get a pic because he is still active and swimming around fast. He is acting normal but lookes very beaten up

He has got shredded fins and has red bruises and some missing scales on his side and his left front fin is destroyed

Dovah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A fully cycled tank should have at least some reading of nitrates. How long has your tank been running? What are your ammonia readings?

A beaten-up fish should heal just fine on its own as long as clean water is provided. Water changes are very important for a fish with open wounds to decrease the likelihood of infection or fungus onset. If the wounds are very serious, I personally would use something like Seachem's StressGuard.

The fish guy11122

Valued Member
Reaction score

Dovah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I personally wouldn't use Pimafix, no.

It's good that you're not getting readings for ammonia. Test strips are known however to be fairly inaccurate and more expensive (in the long run) than a liquid test kit such as API's Freshwater Master Test Kit. I would suggest dropping ~$20 (this will provide ~800 separate test sessions) for more accurate readings.

The fish guy11122

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah i will look in to getting a liquid test kit. I think i am lucky that i noticed the danio in the filter as i have lost a danio in the past due to getting stuck in the filter and I didn't notice until a week later when I did a water change.

Cat Catherine

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That same thing happened to my platy awhile ago. He is still alive and active today. Just make sure your water is clean like everyone else is suggesting.

The fish guy11122

Valued Member
Reaction score
Will do thanks for all the help

The fish guy11122

Valued Member
Reaction score
The danio is getting a cottony growth on its side!!. What should i do??

Dovah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you haven't used the StressGuard yet that's what I would do. I'd also lower the temperature a bit to discourage any fungal growth, at least until your fish gets better.

BellatheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sounds like a bacterial infection or fungus growth. can you send a picture please?

The fish guy11122

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am new to this site. Can you tell me how to upload pics

The fish guy11122

Valued Member
Reaction score
imageimageimage

Are these good enough

Dovah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Pretty gnarly but from my experience not something insurmountable. Just use the advice given above and your fish should heal up just fine.

BellatheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
if you have a quarentine tank then put him in that. turn the temparature up 2 degrees slowly so he isnt shocked. add some salt (1 table spoon a gallon). if i doesnt clear up, you can always use a store bought medication.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom