60 Gallon Tank Help! Forgot to use dechlorinator

ZeroSum

Sooo, i made a boo boo. Did a water change yesterday. I do them monthly in my tank since my weekly parameter tests usually read 0, 0, 0 and 7.0. Forgot however to unplug my filter and my tap water is chlorinated. Tested today after water change yesterday and my nitrates anf nitrites are high. .50ppm nitrites and about 1.5ppm nitrates. Didnt use seachem prime until after i refilled to remove chlorine right after i filled. I fear i killed off alot of crucial bacteria in my filter. How can i fix this? Aside from another water change anyways i know that will be key

BigManAquatics

A product like fritzyme 7 may help prevent a spike until your bacteria colony can recover. Its bacteria in a bottle.

Upvote 0

ZeroSum

A product like fritzyme 7 may help prevent a spike until your bacteria colony can recover. Its bacteria in a bottle.
Ive been using alittle api quickstart, about half the dose for my tank to help with the bacteria repopulation. One small peppered cory is suffering however and i. Nervous. Only one to exibit these signs but hes floating upside down in the tank at the top gasping hard. Figured its because of the spike so i upped the temp to 80. Hasnt been fed since 5/1 since i feed every other day too.
Ive been using alittle api quickstart, about half the dose for my tank to help with the bacteria repopulation. One small peppered cory is suffering however and i. Nervous. Only one to exibit these signs but hes floating upside down in the tank at the top gasping hard. Figured its because of the spike so i upped the temp to 80. Hasnt been fed since 5/1 since i feed every other day too.
Just hoping for more advice. I think i may be using or posting wrong on here. I get very little input probably because im a noob at fish keeping

Upvote 0

jtjgg

i'd add an extra dose of Prime to counteract the nitrite. test daily.

Upvote 0

ZeroSum

Used the prime to dose the tank. Nitrates
i'd add an extra dose of Prime to counteract the nitrite. test daily.
Used prime to dose the tank and used api quick start for good bacteria. Tested again and levels of nitrites and nitrates dropped to 0. Will test daily for a week so no more increases. I would normally change the filter media in a week should i hold off and wait an extra week so i dont do damage to the evosystem in the filter?

Upvote 0

ZeroSum

what filter do you use? do you use the factory media cartridges?

you should just gently rinse the filter media in a bucket of old tank water. if it has carbon inside, you can cut it open and throw away the carbon after about 6 weeks. the filter cartridge can be reused until it starts falling apart.

here's a guide about upgrading your filter media. Diy Media Guide For Top Fin Silenstream, Aquaclear And Other Hob Filters | Aquarium Filter Forum | 385506
I have a marineland 360c Magnum canister filter. I have all the standard media filters,flossers and media(carbon bags, ceramic rings and bio balls) ive only done one media change the way the factory guide for filter cleaning goes. I rinsed the ceramic rings bio balls and black filter pad in clean tank water and replaced then threw out white (now dark brown) pads and carbon bags and replaced each then filled canister with clean tank water clean the moter head fan and replace and restart filter. Dosing with seachem prime before replacing water taken from tank and starting filter which i forgot this time doing the water change :(.

Upvote 0

jtjgg

ok, that's fine. you should be ok.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Madchild57
  • Question
60 Gallon Tank Help! Ammonia spike
Replies