Help for beginner (ish)

Highlander88

Hello! I set up a tank for my son and everything is going great! I was gifted a 25 gallon bow front tank for my birthday and I wanna set this bad boy up! I've decided I want Glowfish Danios. My question is how many can I safely have? I want them to thrive so I wanna follow recommendations perfectly. And I also want a bottom feeder and I am really hoping I can have a Kuhli! They are so cool. Would he be ok in a 25 gallon tank that isn't long? This tank is taller than my 25 gallon gecko tank. And would he be ok with the Danios? Those are definitely the fish I want so if you can think of a better bottom feeder for them please feel free to advise! I'm gonna have a couple malaysian trumpet snails in there too because we are already have some in the smaller tank.

Thanks guys! I appreciate any advice.

BigManAquatics

Not sure on the max, but dedinitely i would start with 6-8 danios, becausee security in numbers.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Here’s my recommendation
6 danios
1 centerpiece fish ( maybe honey gourami? )
6 Kuhli loaches
Just make sure the tank is cycled properly and not just left running for a week or two like most fish stores tell you

Upvote 0

Highlander88

Here’s my recommendation
6 danios
1 centerpiece fish ( maybe honey gourami? )
6 Kuhli loaches
Just make sure the tank is cycled properly and not just left running for a week or two like most fish stores tell you

Oh wow I had no idea I could have that many Kuhlis! Do they like to be in groups?

And yes I have learned that just because pet stores sell the stuff, doesn't mean they know all the stuff! lol

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Oh wow I had no idea I could have that many Kuhlis! Do they like to be in groups?

And yes I have learned that just because pet stores sell the stuff, doesn't mean they know all the stuff! lol
Yeah kuhlis are very social fish and shouldn’t be in groups less than 4 and same with the danios. But what kind of filter are you running? Brand and model please

Upvote 0

Highlander88

Yeah kuhlis are very social fish and shouldn’t be in groups less than 4 and same with the danios. But what kind of filter are you running? Brand and model please

I'm using the one that came with my tank it's a top fin pf30 silent stream power filter and I have also been watching some videos on what some people add to filters to help make it better so I'm sure I'll consider tweaking it if I need to.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I'm using the one that came with my tank it's a top fin pf30 silent stream power filter and I have also been watching some videos on what some people add to filters to help make it better so I'm sure I'll consider tweaking it if I need to.
Alright sounds good. Just curious what substrate are you using? Kuhlis prefer sand or small gravel so they can dig and burrow

Upvote 0

Highlander88

Alright sounds good. Just curious what substrate are you using? Kuhlis prefer sand or small gravel so they can dig and burrow

I decided to go with sand. I put gravel in my son's tank and haven't loved it but felt no need to change it. I'm planning on black sand, and some easy low light plants. I've enjoyed the java ferns in the 10 gallon. And there's a floating plant in there that's cool I can't remember the name of it. If you have any plant recs feel free to share!

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I decided to go with sand. I put gravel in my son's tank and haven't loved it but felt no need to change it. I'm planning on black sand, and some easy low light plants. I've enjoyed the java ferns in the 10 gallon. And there's a floating plant in there that's cool I can't remember the name of it. If you have any plant recs feel free to share!
Some of my personal favorite plants are Amazon swords, tiger lotus, moneywort, hornwort, dwarf sag

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Crazyfishperson
Replies
Views
aquachris
Replies
Views
StarGirl