Help for a newbie tank

Mollygurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have an all-glass 10 gallon tank w/ 2 air tubes/stones,a 50W heater(temp stays @ about 78-80F),a whisper power filter(model 5-15),an undergravel filter and i light the tank w/ one 15W flourescent tube that is turned on about 6:30 in  the morning and turned off about 9:30-10:00PM.I have a 1" female black molly,a 1" female dalmation lyretail molly,7 black molly fry(about 1/4-1/2" each),6 dalmation lyretail fry(mostly 1/4" long), and a 2 1/2-3" pleco.I have had my tank set up for about 3 months.lately i have been having trouble w/ algae.My water is GREEN!!!!!!! i have been trying to do 15-20% water changes,i clean the gravel when i change the water and i feed my pleco before bed, 1 algae wafer, and my mollies get a TINY pinch of flake food 1-2Xs a day.sometimes i give Midnight and Sparkle(my big girls!) freeze dried bloodworms.I know my tank is crowded, but i'm trying to get rid of these babies.i already gave away 2 fry.I changed about 10% of the water today, and added a Jungle "no more algae tank buddies" tablet.Also, i went through 2 filter cartridges in,like,a month!they got so dirty, they quit filtering!I would really appreciate help.THANX!!!!

MOLLYGURL

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello and Welcome to Fishlore

First off if you have a common pleco you will probably need to get rid of it soon as it will get over a foot, sorry.
for the algae check this post out, she just defeated it with a blackout, feel free to ask any questions there.

Here's how I make my own filter cartridges people also rip the old media off their old filters and glue filter fiber/floss onto it.

Hope that helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask them.

Mollygurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanx for the info,atmmachine816!i'm gonna try the bag trick 2night.
my black molly has been getting pieces taken out of her fins and tail!i have her w/ sparkle and the pleco.do u think that the pleco is going after her?also, where there used to be white on my pleco, there is now orange!upside down(my pleco) is sort of grayish-black all over xcept 4 some spots and stripes.on his(her?)Dorsal fin(is that what it's called?) there are like, little orange heart shapes.he's really pretty, but i just want 2 know if this is normal, or should i be worried.please help

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You mean the blackout, will need to keep it up for three to five days. It's probably the other molly as plecos don't usually attack other fish and if they do they suck on them. Google common pleco and see if it looks like yours as I can't tell by your description. If you wish to keep him you will need to invest in a much larger tank.

Mollygurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! i know it's been a LONG time.update on my tank:
sparkle died
gave 4 blk. fry 2 my school principal
all 13 fry died
5 dalmation lyretail fry died(they got sucked into my filter!!)
i'm giving away my last "spotted" baby(peachy keen)
i need some advice.i don't think the girl that is getting "peachy" has had mollies b4.i am making a "care Packet" 4 her. what should i include?
also, i'm moving @ the end of march.what should i do in prep. 4 the move and how do i need to move the tank.(traveling 15 minutes to my new house and down the steps!)
THANX!!   

orangeson

Reaction score
you can buy a battery operated air pump runs off of 4 d's and then make sure during that time you can put your old water into gallon jugs to reuse once moved there also make sure your bio filter pad stays mosit with air getting to it so your good bateria doesnt die =]

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom