Help! Flow Of Water Too Strong For Substrate

Helzing

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone at the moment in having trouble with the water flow from my filter, the thing is the water flow coming out of the filter is making a hole in the sand substrate I'm looking for a way to prevent this, has anyone here have similar experiences in the past?

Nada Mucho

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not sure if you are using a canister or HOB filter but you an always put a piece of hardscape in the output path.

OP
H

Helzing

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nada Mucho said:
Not sure if you are using a canister or HOB filter but you an always put a piece of hardscape in the output path.
Yea I'm using a hob filter and I have a tree stump in the output path but it still messes with the sand just a little bit less though, I'm looking for ideas to slow the water flow coming out of the filter.

Nada Mucho

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know if you can make some sort of diffuser or how you would attach it but that's what I use on the end of the hose when filling my tank. Might be a simple as cutting some holes in a quart size freezer bag and taping it over the outflow.

OP
H

Helzing

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmm that sounds like it might work, I'm going to try something like that.

purslanegarden

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How high is the water level? You can decrease the force of the water current by having the water closer to the overflow of the filter if it is not up to that level yet.

fishandle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I make baffles for my hang on the backs by cutting a soda bottle. Works perfectly.

Lynn78too

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fishandle said:
I make baffles for my hang on the backs by cutting a soda bottle. Works perfectly.
Could you should a picture? I have this problem too with the one tank especially. Even with the hardscape I feel the fish are in a whirlpool sometimes.

OP
H

Helzing

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
purslanegarden said:
How high is the water level? You can decrease the force of the water current by having the water closer to the overflow of the filter if it is not up to that level yet.
I thought this too but I don't like to fill my tank too much id say that the water level is 2 inches and a half ish from the rI'm of the tank, maybe more I will have to get home and measure it.
fishandle said:
That sounds pretty sweet actually! I gotta head to the store to buy some soda bottles so I can setup my diy co2 system so may aswell pic one extra just to attempt that.

sassymomma

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Here's my baffling trick
f8102968ebf3c7c297f66a3ad4326f16.jpg
a87e6f7c9ac7c47eee58c78ec016cbbf.jpg
1f5eda59f8403444e03559e85df5ec07.jpg
54daef355bc015324ca9d5d62a9d82cf.jpg

You cut the cup down the side to the bottom, then along the bottom edge, about 1/3 of the way round
Bend it twice, to hook over the tank side, and place the filter on top of it

OP
H

Helzing

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's very clever sassymomma do you have any problems with films forming on the water surface?

fishandle

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lynn78too said:
Could you should a picture? I have this problem too with the one tank especially. Even with the hardscape I feel the fish are in a whirlpool sometimes.
I will post a pic tonight when I get home.

sassymomma

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Helzing said:
That's very clever sassymomma do you have any problems with films forming on the water surface?
I don't, but I also run a sponge filter in this tank

I baffled in the big tank before, and found that if I aimed the flow to the wall I got biofilm, but if I aimed it into the tank, it was less likely to occur.

New Threads