15 Gallon Tank HELP!! Fishes dying with no apparent cause.

gourameee

I do not have a water test kit, as I have lent it to a friend and can only get it back in a few days time. I woke up to 2 dead fishes, a Sparkling Gourami and a Honey Gourami.

I now have:
4 ember tetras and 2 Rummynose tetras
2 juveline guppies
4 scarlet bettas
3 honey gouramis
1 sparkling gourami out of the 9 i bought
1 royal farlowella
5 otocinclus

the sparkling gouramis were fine, breeding so much, but the population drastically decreased, i assume is because they reproduced so much, my filter could not take it.
the honey gouramis are okay, but one died just a few minutes ago, i think.
both fishes were laying dead on the ground with all their colour, but no breathing and they were dead.

im thinking it's because recently I had removed and rearranged a lot of plants and scaped my tank in a different manner, and now the tank is a lot brighter. previously, it was very dim because the vallisneria was covering the surface. I'm guessing this is the source of stress, but the fishes are swimming alright, and do not exhibit any lack of appetite, weird swimming patterns or any unusual behavior.

i have provided two photos, the old aquascape and the new one.
also, the Aquarium has no smell, im thinking this means ammonia is low. i just changed the water 2 days ago, and also there's 2 sparkling gouramis. trying to find more.

Attachments

• 25DDE6B5-B722-4DE9-B0B4-41565D1AD039.jpeg
    25DDE6B5-B722-4DE9-B0B4-41565D1AD039.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 31
  • BB688755-F4E4-4CE2-B02D-7799A8B44D20.jpeg
    BB688755-F4E4-4CE2-B02D-7799A8B44D20.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 34

LowConductivity

Without anything specific to look at….when in doubt, change more water. I’d be on the 50% daily wagon for a week, or until I can confirm that this isn’t an ammonia/nitrite issue

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

The title says 15 gallon, that seems like a LOT of fish for a 15 gallon.

Upvote 0

gourameee

The title says 15 gallon, that seems like a LOT of fish for a 15 gallon.
yeah, the tetras are temporary

Upvote 0

gourameee

Just a question though, is that bettas or scarlet badis? Huge difference in tank dynamics there!
betta coccina, scarlet bettas. they're smaller and not the fighting fish

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

You have a lot of territorial fish in a small space. Even if your water quality is perfect, you can expect issues. Even if line of sight is broken up by those plants, you can expect conflicts.
I would suggest that you chose one of these species only,
Hony gourami, sparkling gourami, guppies, or bettas. and keep them with the ottos. and nothing else.

Also, The royal farlowella can get to 8 inches and needs a larger tank.

Upvote 0

veggieshark

I am not sure what this means:

" the sparkling gouramis were fine, breeding so much, but the population drastically decreased, i assume is because they reproduced so much, my filter could not take it"

Are you saying your sparkling gouramis were able to breed in that crowded community tank, and there were so many of them from breeding that your filter could not handle the bioload?

Upvote 0

gourameee

I am not sure what this means:

" the sparkling gouramis were fine, breeding so much, but the population drastically decreased, i assume is because they reproduced so much, my filter could not take it"

Are you saying your sparkling gouramis were able to breed in that crowded community tank, and there were so many of them from breeding that your filter could not handle the bioload?
yeah, they were breeding a lot, and i usually left the nests alone but 3 babies would make it to adulthood in 2 weeks about there
i
You have a lot of territorial fish in a small space. Even if your water quality is perfect, you can expect issues. Even if line of sight is broken up by those plants, you can expect conflicts.
I would suggest that you chose one of these species only,
Hony gourami, sparkling gourami, guppies, or bettas. and keep them with the ottos. and nothing else.

Also, The royal farlowella can get to 8 inches and needs a larger tank.
i think i will take the rest and give them away to my LFS, have a couple near me so i think i can give most of my fishes away
also, i read on a forum that honeys were okay with sparkling gouramis, and I didn't face any fights. only that the sparkling gouramis would sometimes chase the bettas away. however, the bettas are quite peaceful and they'll leave each other alone. i think i will give away the sparkling gouramis though, and the tetras

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
katorimom
Replies
Views
devsi
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies