Help!!!! Fish Stuck In Filter

Gonoli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My dwarf gourami Vinnie got stuck in the filter just a few moments ago I managed to get him out ALIVE I for sure thought he would be dead but he is swimming around a little tub just fine just getting some air he is really torn up and one of his eyes in pushing inside of his head while the other is popping out is there anything I can do to help like remove his eyes? Or any medicine to help him heal up I love him very much and he is acting just fine right now breathing regularly and just kinda chilling out but if I can’t do anything for him and he will just end up suffering I can put him down any help is appreciated I just want the best for my little guy ️
Image1525830007.847849.jpg
Image1525830030.898627.jpg

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
that looks like a wound that he is going to have a very hard time healing from. If i saw something like this, i would euthanize. clove oil is the best way to go on euthanizing, or your next best option is pithing. However, if you want to try to save him which is going to be hard and still might end in bad results, i would get some indian almond leaves to add to the water which have antifungal properties. I would also keep the water clean and watch him carefully.

Gonoli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don’t have him in a tank rn I just have him in a small tub so he can get air, it’s filled with water from his tank which is cycled Will this be okay for a while Until I can manage to get a cycled quarantine tank for him?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Gonoli said:
I don’t have him in a tank rn I just have him in a small tub so he can get air, it’s filled with water from his tank which is cycled Will this be okay for a while Until I can manage to get a cycled quarantine tank for him?
The water isn’t what is cycled, it’s the filter cartridge.
Is the filter cycled?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok. Sounds like a pretty severe head injury. Unless you’re experienced in removing damaged eyes, I wouldn’t go there. It’s very traumatizing for the fish. I would keep him in pristine water. Watch him overnight. If his skull is damaged there may be swelling in his brain. Unfortunately this is one of those if he survives the first 24 hrs, then the next, etc.
What do you have on hand for wound treatment?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry, lost my connection for a few.
Do you have any aquarium safe salt?

Gonoli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fanatic said:
The water isn’t what is cycled, it’s the filter cartridge.
Is the filter cycled?
Yes the filter is cycled

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Gonoli said:
Yes the filter is cycled
I would move him to the QT, and keep the water warmer than usual.
If you see that he breathes frequently on the surface, then I would add an airstone.

You should keep the water extremely clean, and try a little aquarium salt.
I also wouldn't hesitate to do medications if you can.

Gypsy13 is a wonderful healer, she'll help you further than I ever can.

Gonoli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Gypsy13 said:
Ok. Sounds like a pretty severe head injury. Unless you’re experienced in removing damaged eyes, I wouldn’t go there. It’s very traumatizing for the fish. I would keep him in pristine water. Watch him overnight. If his skull is damaged there may be swelling in his brain. Unfortunately this is one of those if he survives the first 24 hrs, then the next, etc.
What do you have on hand for wound treatment?
I don’t really have anything on me right now but some aquarium salt but i can buy some more stuff if it’s needed, it’s the next day and he seems a bit lethargic and not as active as yesterday and he is breathing very slowly I think it may be his time to go soon

Gonoli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
And he is slower but I just noticed his eye that was sinking in seems to be moving to its original spot

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gonoli said:
And he is slower but I just noticed his eye that was sinking in seems to be moving to its original spot
Did you give him salt baths?

Gonoli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
75g Discus Tank said:
Follow @Gypsy13's advice for healing.

What's the ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
Temp?
Tank size?
Tankmates?

Filter?

A filter shouldn't suck in a healthy fish.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Temp: 78
He was in a 15 gallon tank with 5 long finned danios. I think what happend was he either was either going to chill under the filter like usual but got sucked up or he got curious and swam inside of it cause it has no bottom (which i never noticed until yesterday) he has never had any problem with the filter before and the danios never bother him and he never bothers them

Gonoli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
75g Discus Tank said:
Did he show any signs of illness beforehand?

Also, the tank isn't cycled as nitrates aren't present.
He has never showed any types of illness before other than a few months ago he had a small lump but I fixed that and he has been acting and looking perfectly healthy since then

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom