Help! Fish rubbing against things

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by valau, Aug 5, 2014.

1. v

valau Valued Member Member

Hi Fishlore,

I had an episode of ich about 3 weeks ago. I treated the tank with temperature and paraguard, and have not seen any white dots for about two weeks now. However, my SAE and GBR are still rubbing against plants, gravel, driftwood and rocks occasionally. However, I haven't seen my neon tetras rubbing on anything since the ich went away. All the fish are eating just fine (great appetite, actually) and show no other signs of disease or distress that I can pick up on.

I have been dosing the tank with Paraguard for 3 weeks, with 20% water change every week, and use Prime as my primary water conditioner. I don't have any filter media in my filter since I've heard that charcoal soaks up the medication. I've also been testing my water for the past 3 weeks as well, and the parameters are pretty stable. Here are my readings:
    Nitrate: 5
    Nitrite: 0
    Ammonia: 0
    GH: 270
    Chlorine: 0
    Alkalinity: 160
    pH: 7.6
    Temperature: 83

Any ideas what could be irritating the fish? Or are they just playing/showing off? Is this something I should be worried about? Thanks!

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I'm not sure how you can still have a cycled tank if you removed your filter media, since the bacteria that keeps a tank cycled lives in the filter media.

Flashing can be caused by other ailments. Velvet comes to mind, so you may want to check that out.

3. OP
    OP
    v

I never really used filter media, even when cycling. Just dropped in some carbon for 24 hour periods when the water got too yellow and started affecting the light for the plants. Not sure where all the bacteria are living to be honest, but they're doing their jobs somehow...

Will look into that. Thanks!

4. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

Hi! I think your fish probably still have a little ich. I wouldn't use any meds since its pretty mild. I would suggest adding a little marine salt (instant ocean). It will most likely help finish that ich off!:) I've read and in my personal experience, even a little salt can be beneficial for FW fish:)

Best of luck!
    I love my puffer

PS I also suggest using filter media after the ich goes away:)

5. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

To say the obvious, most puffers do like a little salt, just in daily maintenance
    As to not using a filter of any type, I can only say that you are a trailblazer, a scout to find new things, much as the scouts of the Donner party were.
    Your filtration will be much more efficient if there is, in fact, a filter---------------rick

6. OP
    OP
    v

Ok I will think about adding some filter floss. What would you recommend using? I only use carbon when the water yellows, and peat moss with water changes to help soften the water a bit. I haven't really found a need to keep anything in my filter for long periods of time, as my water parameters have been good so far.

Will continue dosing with Paraguard for another week or two, and add a bit of marine salt. Hope this solves the problem. Thanks everyone!

7. I love my puffer

No problem!:) keep us updated!!

8. OP
    OP
    v

Been dosing with Paraguard for another couple weeks, and all fish seem healthy. Whatever it was, Paraguard seems to have killed it and all tank inhabitants appear to be alive and well. Thanks everyone!

9. I love my puffer

That's great!!!

Sent from my XT1030 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice