HELP! Fish Opening and Closing Mouths Rapidly and Moving Oddly

quin

I have a 10 gallon aquarium with 5 giant danios, a paradise gourami, and a flying fox. I got a new filter and I was trying to get its biofilter working by plugging it in with my other filter at the same time. I looked to see how my fish were doing this morning and the gourami and flying fox were laying on the bottom moving their fins very fast in the corner and the giant danios were opening and closing their mouths rapidly.
I unplugged the new filter and left the old one in to see if that was the problem, but they haven't stopped ~freaking out~ and I have no clue what could be wrong.

Thank you,
Quin

BornThisWayBettas

Welcome to Fish Lore, Quin!!!! So good to have you here!

Sadly, those fish are incompatible for that tank size, so that could be part of your problem. What are your water parameters and do you know what they were tested with? Also, did you change the filter media?

LexyBoi

Air in the water get a bubbler quick!

Betta Splendid 1

Probably a oxygen deficiency. And like BornThisWayBettas the tank is over stock get a air stone air pump and plastic tubing sold at the pet store quick.

EricV

I'd suspect ammonia poisoning over oxygen deficiency. Adding some bubbles won't make much of a difference.

Dom90

If it was an oxygen deficiency, the fish would be at the top gasping for air not at the bottom with clamped fins. So I would have to say ammonia poisoning as well.

quin

My ammonia levels are lower than ever and I just did a 50 percent water change Sunday. I will check the levels again when I get home and update on m fishes condition.

The aquarium is soon going to be updated to a 40 gallon so they will have more room to swim around I just was unable to get the tank before the fish needed to be given to me.

BornThisWayBettas

What are the exact numbers and what are you using to test with? Any ammonia or nitrites is bad for the fish, so it should be kept at 0.

EricV

"Lower than ever" implies that the tank is not cycled as ammonia and nitrites should always be reading zero.

And the tank size is not just about the fish having more room to swim. A small tank that is overstocked has no chance of processing the amount of waste the fish are producing which is what is leading to the ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning in the tank.

quin

thanks for all of your help. the fish are all normal now. I will be moving the giant danios to a 120 gallon tank on Friday.

Betta Splendid 1

Sorry I forgot about that part about being them on the top then the bottom I was in a rush when I was typing.

quin

oh the ammonia is also at 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Heron
Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
Replies
Views
Scubasteve