Help! Fish Loosing Tails, Covered In White Fungus! - Page 2

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most likely you lost your cycle but ammonia poisoning doesn't explain fin loss neither does fungal infection. My best guess is bacterial infection. I also agree with stocking issues, but first things first lets get your fish healthy. Then lets worry about your cycle and stocking.

Discusluv

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sebastian CHokka said:
OK. Usually about every month I put in new pads, as the activated carbon in the pads wears out. Should I not do this?
Yes, this is fine, you just can't do it at the same time as you clean the rest of your tank. This puts your tank through a new cycle. The days following the changing of the filter pad though, you will have lower bacterial numbers for a few days so need to do water changes to make sure you do not get any elevated numbers until the new cartridge gets populated with beneficial bacteria.
Or, if their is room in your filter, you can't put the new cartridge in along with the old one, after a few days can take the old one out and the new one will be seeded with beneficial bacteria.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
@Sebastion CHokka next time you replace the filter pad, leave the new one in front of the old one for 2-3 weeks before throwing the old one away. I personally never throw my media away.

Discusluv

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fahn said:
@Sebastion CHokka next time you replace the filter pad, leave the new one in front of the old one for 2-3 weeks before throwing the old one away. I personally never throw my media away.
Do you use the same cartridge, never change it out?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Discusluv said:
I remove the carbon and keep the floss, I just rinse it in a bucket of tank water every couple of weeks to get solids out. If it has a healthy, established colony of beneficial bacteria, why discard it?

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Discusluv said:
Yes we do! We swish it out occasionaly in removed tank water when we do a water change and plop it right back in. The carbon is exhausted, but most of us only use carbon when we need to remove medication from the water or organics like tannins from driftwood if tannins aren't your thing.
My cartridge gets thrown away when it is literally falling apart in my hand.

OP
Sebastian CHokka

Sebastian CHokka

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My cartiges have the floss stuck to a plastic thing. The neon missing a tail just died... I doubt any of my fish wll live through the night.
WIll MelaFix with FUngusGaurd go together?
How often can I do water changes?

Discusluv

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fahn said:
I remove the carbon and keep the floss, I just rinse it in a bucket of tank water every couple of weeks to get solids out. If it has a healthy, established colony of beneficial bacteria, why discard it?
The purpose of the filter floss is for mechanical filtration, not biological, it traps debris, an established aquarium has all the bacteria it needs to bounce back quickly ( in the hardware of the filter casing, the gravel, the walls of the aquarium) to reestablish the bacteria needed for a set bio-load. It does this within days and not weeks. A person that leaves their filter media for extended periods of time has no more or stronger bacteria in their cartridge than a person that changes it out every month. You just have to be cognizant that within the period of changing it out, your numbers will be lower for ma few days. The problem with using mechanical media as your biological media is overtime the floss begins to trap more and more debris and rinsing in tank water is not sufficient to clean of this waste and debris. Over time this can contribute to bacterial /parasitic issues in aquarium fish.
In the OP's case, his tank is newly established and he needs to protect his bacteria until his tank is well-established- at six months. But, even in a newly established tank, you can change your filter cartridge , you just have to take measures ( a few water changes) and/or placing the new media with the old in filter. It doesn't matter if the sponge is old or new, it only gets populated with BB to match the given bio-load of fish.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sebastian CHokka said:
My cartiges have the floss stuck to a plastic thing. The neon missing a tail just died... I doubt any of my fish wll live through the night.
WIll MelaFix with FUngusGaurd go together?
How often can I do water changes?
Yeah, keep your filter pads and you won't experience these kinds of issues nearly as frequently. Fish are more susceptible to disease when water quality is in question, and having established colonies of bacteria helps prevent it. In the future, do not discard the pads.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 3 HOBs with 2 large cartridges each. I replace 1 every 4-5 days. That way the bacteria has time to recolinize the new 1. I always use carbon.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Discusluv said:
The purpose of the filter floss is for mechanical filtration, not biological, it traps debris, an established aquarium has all the bacteria it needs to bounce back quickly ( in the hardware of the filter casing, the gravel, the walls of the aquarium) to reestablish the bacteria needed for a set bio-load. It does this within days and not weeks. A person that leaves their filter media for extended periods of time has no more or stronger bacteria in their cartridge than a person that changes it out every month. You just have to be cognizant that within the period of changing it out, your numbers will be lower for ma few days. The problem with using mechanical media as your biological media is overtime the floss begins to trap more and more debris and rinsing in tank water is not sufficient to clean of this waste and debris. Over time this can contribute to bacterial /parasitic issues in aquarium fish.
In the OP's case, his tank is newly established and he needs to protect his bacteria until his tank is well-established- at six months. But, even in a newly established tank, you can change your filter cartridge , you just have to take measures ( a few water changes) and/or placing the new media with the old in filter. It doesn't matter if the sponge is old or new, it only gets populated with BB to match the given bio-load of fish.
I know it is mechanical filtration but bacteria still colonize it. Almost all of your beneficial bacteria is in your filter media, not the substrate or water. As long as you rinse it in tank water every few weeks you should avoid issues. It is the general consensus that you do not throw away your filter pads, and I, personally, would not want to risk losing my cycle.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dave125g said:
I have 3 HOBs with 2 large cartridges each. I replace 1 every 4-5 days. That way the bacteria has time to recolinize the new 1. I always use carbon.
Save yourself some money and use sponges instead of expensive cartidges

Discusluv

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fahn said:
I know it is mechanical filtration but bacteria still colonize it. Almost all of your beneficial bacteria is in your filter media, not the substrate or water. As long as you rinse it in tank water every few weeks you should avoid issues. It is the general consensus that you do not throw away your filter pads, and I, personally, would not want to risk losing my cycle.
If you lost your cycle in an established tank through changing out your mechanical media, you didn't have a good colony to begin with. Ridiculous! This I "keep all my filter media (mechanical, chemical, and biological )until it falls apart" is a wives tale that gets repeated over and over, no wonder so many new people have husbandry problems in their aquarium.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, let's get back to the sick fish. One has already died.
Melafix won't really do anything in this case.
OMG! I was busy looking at a lost fin and 3 cottony patches on the pleco...You fish have ICK.
Go to the picture of the pleco and look at his entire nose region. The picture with the two neons, look at the one on top. They will be covered in the morning.
Do you anything with malachite green in it?

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you're counting from the first picture posted, pictures 11, 16, 17

New Threads