Help , fish laying on bottom of tank

happy_jack

Reaction score
Having problems with my fish. Me and my wife have had a 30 gallon tank for about 2 years.

Decided to setup a 55 gallon for her birthday 18 days ago. Transferred the gravel , water & decorations & of course fish to the new tank. Moved 3 goldfish , angelfish , 4 very small tetras , 2" sucker fish & ram snail to the new tank.

Well like an idiot within a couple of days after setting up the new tank added a 2" "shark" not a real shark of course , 1.5" red "shark" again not a real shark , 2 very very small sucker fish , 4 very very small shrimp.

About a week ago the goldfish started laying on the bottom of the tank & acting erratically. 4 days ago had a tetra die , 3 days ago another tetra & 1 of the very very small sucker fish , last night the angelfish (which we were both very attached to) died & then today the shark died without warning.

Here`s what I`ve done :
Changed about 25% of the water last week & about 15% last night. I purchased an ammonia test & another test kit that tests 5 things including nitrate and ph. Test showed the ph a little high so I`ve used ph down. I took the carbon out of the filters and have been using Melafix (thinking maybe bacterial problem). I`ve added stress zyme once. The goldfish stay at the bottom of the tank until I feed them then they get excited and swim around.

Anyway , I`m at my wits end on what to do. Feeling helpless , any suggestions or questions that would help the sitiuation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. George

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us!

Please post your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. How much of a difference in ph was there from your old tank to the new one? Adjusting the ph can have disastrous effects to your fish if it's too much of a difference. I would suggest you stop using the ph down, and slowly acclimate your fish to the ph difference with water changes. Please post your other readings, and we can help you from there! I'm sorry your fish are doing poorly, but we will do our best to help you!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldfish and Angelfish also have differ temperature requirements. Goldfish like cool water (60-70F) and Angelfish like warmer water (78-82F). Most tropical fish like water warmer than goldfish. I'm sorry your fish are not doing well.
Gunnie asked all the good questions, we await your answers.
Carol

happy_jack

Reaction score
Ammonia is .25
Nitrate is 80
Nitrite is 0
PH is 7.8
Hardness soft
Alkalinity 120

I don`t know what any readings from the old tank is , like an idiot I never tested it. In the old tank I kept the temperature at about 69 and the angelfish seemed fine (had her for 2 years , first fish). In the new tank I`ve kept the temp higher at about 73 but lowered it some last night to 70 after reading that 73 was too high for goldfish.

This morning they seemed more active when feeding them. The biggest one that has been the most sluggish is actually swimming around some.

The carbon is still out of the filter since I am using melafix. Will stop using the ph down , read some about it and it doesn`t seem to be a good thing to use.

If you can think of anything else to ask please do so. Thank you for the helpl. George

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yep, your fish will do better with a stable Ph than one fluctuating from trying to "fix" it
I see your using Melafix, what disease are you treating?
Carol

happy_jack

Reaction score
Hi , I`m thinking they might have a bacterial infection ? That`s the reason for the melafix. George

happy_jack

Reaction score
Well , we lost the shark 2 days ago without warning and the sucker fish died last night without warning. The red shark is acting erratic now. I am clueless , don`t know what to do for them. The 3 goldfish are still alive but laying at the bottom of the tank most of the time. Still have 2 tetra , 1 very very striped small sucker fish , red shark and a snail. George

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
George when in doubt do a water change. How are your water test readings ?
Carol

happy_jack

Reaction score
Did a 10% water change about 30 minutes ago. Am leaving for a short vacation tomorrow (sunday) and will be back thursday. I`ve put the carbon filters back in place and set up the automatic feeder. Is there something I need to do before we leave ? Will post latest water tests in a couple of hours , having to go to lunch. 2 of the 3 goldfish are more active today but the red shark is still acting erratic. The largest goldfish seems bloated ? George

happy_jack

Reaction score
Water readings :

ammonia .25
nitrate 80
nitrite 0
ph 7.8
alkalinity 180
hardness soft

nitrate is still too high I think , made a large water change last week and 2 small water changes since then. Something else I need to do to lower it ? Used stress zyme twice this week. George

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Other than dechlorinator you really don't need any other chemicals. Any ammonia will make them uncomfortable. Yep the Nitrate is a little high. Water changes(I know you hate to hear that ) are about the only way to lower them. Maybe you could lighten up on feedings until everything levels out a bit. You know less in-less out that could help the nitrate levels also.
Carol

happy_jack

Reaction score
Hi ,
Just got back from 4 day vacation. Was suprised to see that the 3 goldfish seem to be feeling better , at least they are swimming around a little and not laying on the bottom all of the time. The red shark seems better and is also swimming around. The biggest goldfish which has been the one we`ve had the most trouble with is still bloated and scales are sticking out. One of the other goldfish has been swimming around at the top all day. Did a 15% water change as soon as we came in last night. Maybe they will get better. George

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When doing water changes, try using Amquel plus as your water conditioner. It will neutralize your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates and reduce the stress on your fish. This will help with the nitrate issue. Also, have you ever tested your water for ammonia and nitrates straight out of the tap? Some water supplies will contain ammonia and nitrates. If this is the case, you may have to use amquel plus as your water conditioner all the time.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
"The biggest goldfish which has been the one we`ve had the most trouble with is still bloated and scales are sticking out. "

That makes me think of dropsy which is serious, but let's hear what the others have to say, as I'm still new to all of this.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom