Help fish in cycle messed up

MrAyden

Hello everyone I had a 75 gal tank years back it was fine with oscars but now I have a 29 gal tank and wanted to do a fish in cycle with two platies and one dwarf gourami it’s been ONE and a half weeks and my ammonia it’s at 1ppm I don’t think I have any nitrite or any nitrates I did a water change 2 days ago because ammonia was higher when I changed water ammonia was .25 ppm and it gradually goes up daily I’m an currently running a cascade 1000 canister filter two air stones heat is at around 80f I’ll post pictures of the water test please help thanks

Attachments

• B6629697-8301-412A-BE53-547A9C72DA21.jpeg
    B6629697-8301-412A-BE53-547A9C72DA21.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 403C09C2-B134-4031-8485-11A4B1CF5FDD.jpeg
    403C09C2-B134-4031-8485-11A4B1CF5FDD.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 34

Dunk2

I’m not sure what your question is, but I’d suggest you do more frequent water changes to keep your ammonia level down.

Are you using Prime or something similar to protect your fish?

Edit to add: Why do you think your cycle is messed up?

Upvote 0

jake37

Did you take any live media from the 75 gal tank (like a sponge filter or some floss from your filter) ? If so it seems odd that it is taking this long if not you should expect it to take 2 to 4 weeks.

Hello everyone I had a 75 gal tank years back it was fine with oscars but now I have a 29 gal tank and wanted to do a fish in cycle with two platies and one dwarf gourami it’s been ONE and a half weeks and my ammonia it’s at 1ppm I don’t think I have any nitrite or any nitrates I did a water change 2 days ago because ammonia was higher when I changed water ammonia was .25 ppm and it gradually goes up daily I’m an currently running a cascade 1000 canister filter two air stones heat is at around 80f I’ll post pictures of the water test please help thanks

Upvote 0

MrAyden

I have been using prime and i think it’s messed up because only thing going up is ammonia not nitrite or nitrate I also added bacteria called fluval cycle

Upvote 0

Dunk2

I have been using prime and i think it’s messed up because only thing going up is ammonia not nitrite or nitrate I also added bacteria called fluval cycle

Even when using bottled bacteria, a full cycle often takes 4+ weeks. You’re familiar with the nitrogen cycle?

Upvote 0

jake37

In the future the easiest way to cycle is to put a sponge filter in the establish tank for a couple of months and then move it to the new one or take filter media from the establish tank. It will take a while the way you did it - and yes the ammonia will go up until the bacteria gets establish ...

Upvote 0

Dunk2

In the future the easiest way to cycle is to put a sponge filter in the establish tank for a couple of months and then move it to the new one or take filter media from the establish tank. It will take a while the way you did it - and yes the ammonia will go up until the bacteria gets establish ...

I’m not sure the OP has another tank currently running. He referred to having a 75 gallon “years ago”.

Upvote 0

MrAyden

the 75 gal tank was years ago so I don’t have media from anything I just added fluval cycle bacteria prime also I just don’t know what to do I keep doing water changes every other day because ammonia keeps rising and I don’t want the fish to die

Upvote 0

Dunk2

the 75 gal tank was years ago so I don’t have media from anything I just added fluval cycle bacteria prime also I just don’t know what to do I keep doing water changes every other day because ammonia keeps rising and I don’t want the fish to die

Yes, your tank needs to grow bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and then nitrite to nitrate. Until that happens, your ammonia levels will increase.

The only way to decrease ammonia levels at this point is frequent water changes.

Are you saying you are using Prime?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Lots of water changes is all you can do at this point to keep ammonia down and use your Prime! The Prime works up to 24-48 hrs. So you need to do water changes to keep ammonia below 1. You will be good it will be a bit till you see nitrites.

Upvote 0

jake37

If you use sachem prime it will neutralize the ammonia until the bacteria grows. You will have to re-add it every 2 or 3 days and do water changes to keep the ammonia below 1ish ppm.

Upvote 0

Dunk2

If you use sachem prime it will neutralize the ammonia until the bacteria grows. You will have to re-add it every 2 or 3 days and do water changes to keep the ammonia below 1ish ppm.

To clarify, Prime is only effective when the combined level of ammonia and nitrites is less than 1 ppm. And Prime should be re-dosed every 48 hours.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jasmine-smith
  • Question
Replies
Views
Wrench
  • Question
Replies