Help! Fish Gasping For Air Near Bottom Of Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by siebren, Apr 18, 2017.

1. s

siebren New Member Member

i have 2 black neon tetras and 4 green neons, I have a 25 gallon tank, aqua clear 70 filter, air pump as well,
    Tank has been cycling for 4 months.
    The fish were fine for 2 days then they started gasping for air, near the bottom of the tank, there fins are clamped sometimes, they are not moving fast, just shaking in place almost, there also not eating,
    I've done multiple water changes, last night I did a 80% water change and took out half my substrate, to no avail. The fish are still gasping for air near the bottom. I've done multiple water tests, ph is stable at 8.1 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5ppm nitrate

I can tell my fish are getting weaker... if anyone has any suggestions please let me know

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

are they eating like their usual selves?
    what about any ripped fins or small white dots, especially near the gills?
    what kind of medicines do you have?

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

What's the temp of the tank? What's the pH of the tap water? Do you recall doing anything differently when you started noticing this behavior?

4. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

How long ago were the fish added? Are you using any chemicals?

5. OP
    OP
    s

I don't remember Doing anything differently, the ph of the tap water is 8
    Water temp is at 79
    They are not eating at all anymore
    They don't have any spots, no ripped fins, I also do not have any medication currently

6. OP
    OP
    s

The only chemicals I'm using is water conditioner the fish we're added 6 days ago

7. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Are you really shaking and hitting the number 2 nitrate test bottle off of things for like a minute straight?

8. AvalancheDave

Did they eat initially? Sounds like they did. How did you cycle the tank and how did you acclimate the fish?

9. OP
    OP
    s

I do the tests properly
    They did eat initially, for cycling the tank I just let it run for 2 months with plants. To accilate the fish, I let a drip into the bag and waited till it was 3x the volume then let them in the tank

10. APierce

Do you have an air stone you can add? Maybe a picture of the fish would help us out.

11. OP
    OP
    s

My camera won't let me upload an image, but I have a large air stone already

12. APierce

Are they all going towards it?

13. OP
    OP
    s

No away from it, they stay under the filter/ under the heater on the far right side, my air stone is on the left side

14. APierce

This might sound weird but unplug your heater for a few min and see if they act better.

15. OP
    OP
    s

Trying that now, been a few min, the green neons are acting like they have alittle more energy,they are nipping at each other, it it could be just a coincidence though.

16. AvalancheDave

You need an ammonia source when cycling...

17. OP
    OP
    s

I put some fish in after 1 1/2 months white cloud minnows, they had amonia poisoning and died after about two weeks

18. APierce

There might be a short in your heater....or they might just want cooler water.

19. OP
    OP
    s

It seems to have done something, one of my black neons now is more normal and opening his mouth less...I'm going to wait and see but it might have been the problem, either way thanks for the suggestion APierce!

20. APierce

Great!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice