HELP! fish emergency

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by gammerus, Mar 30, 2006.

1. gammerusWell Known MemberMember

I have a 40gal with
    2 golden barbs
    1 tiger barb
    1 swordtail
    a bunch of minnows
    2 flame gouramis
    2 sailfin mollys
    2 red tail sharks (barely an inch long)
    and a pleco

recently all of the fish look like they have been attacked. but I am not sure who is responsible. all of the fish got along great...but it seems not long after our recent additions (the red tail sharks,mollys, and gouramis) many of the fish are being attacked. I lost 2 paradise fish to this..I really liked those fish. the only ones who seem unaffected are the gouramis and the guppys..I;m not sure about the mollys...I think one of them got bit but I can't quite tell..please what do I do!??!?!!

2. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

Could be the tiger barbs, they are pretty aggressive when not in a school. They really need a school to be happy and (somewhat) peaceful.

3. czarbenNew MemberMember

Could be the gouramis. They're pretty territorial.

4. gammerusWell Known MemberMember

all the fish I had before (including the barbs) were alittle aggessive when we got them..but it's been about 3years and they all swim together without any hostility...I blame those gouramis..I knew they looked evil.

5. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

From what I have heard Gouramis can be trouble in a community tank sometimes.

Rose
    :)

6. gammerusWell Known MemberMember

well till I know for sure (and I am pretty sure) I have sent the gouramis to live with my boyfriend.

7. vinWell Known MemberMember

Could very well be the two Red Tail Sharks.....They are very territorial and are considered semi aggressive. Only one should be kept unless the tank is very large. They will bully anything that they feel is infringing upon their territory and don't particularly mesh well with Mollies or other sharks. Barbs like to nip at long fins, so if the gouramis are looking knicked up, that could be a problem with the barbs.

The two flame gouramis can be trouble if they are both the same sex, but they are generally peaceful if you got a male and female at the same time. Especially in a 40g. They've got plenty of room for separation.

If it were my money, I'd bet that it's the RTS's that are causing the problems.

8. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Red Tail Sharks are not compatible with each other. So unless you have another tank like right now you'll need to send one back to the store. From what I've heard they will eventually try to kill the other.
    The Gouramis or the Tiger Barb could cause problems, but since it started happening when you got the new fish I'll bet it's the sharks. So if I were you I'd send both of them back to the store. :'(

9. gammerusWell Known MemberMember

the mollys dont have a scratch on them...till I can find something better I will probly just take out the smaller shark and put him in my 10gal with my betta (I'm told their compatable)

10. gammerusWell Known MemberMember

11. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a RTS is going to grow way to big for a 10g. So instead of getting the RTS, get more Zebras or Cherries, whichever one you decide on, to make a proper shoal. If they don't have enough friends to play with, they may take out their energy on the Betta--not good.

12. gammerusWell Known MemberMember

posted in the wrong board

13. vinWell Known MemberMember

NO NO NO!!! No rts with Bettas! They are not compatible and are probably the root of your problems as well as the barbs....

14. gammerusWell Known MemberMember

every compatability chart says rts get along with bettas

15. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

RTS's are active and aggressive. Bettas are slower-moving and have long, colorful fins. I would probably not want to risk mixing the two.

16. gammerusWell Known MemberMember

then what do you put with bettas? all the capatability chart s say rts danios and cherry barbs are fine with bettas but I am getting alot of negative feedback on this forumn

17. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Well, cherry barbs are more peaceful than other barbs but I still wouldn't risk keeping them with Bettas. I think zebra danios would be fine though.

18. vinWell Known MemberMember

Sorry, but not the ones I've read.....They all advise caution....and to me, since aquarium fish are kept in confined space, I take that to mean no. I believe you mentioned your tank as a 20g...IMO, that's too small to combine these two species...RTS are territorial and semi agressive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice