Help- Fish dying

vampireshrimpfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a swordtail who gave birth and now she is going crazy. She is going in circles ( not around the aquarium but in a weird way I can not explain. Please help. Hoping she will survive. She was in a 1 gallon by the way

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A 1 gallon is much to small for a swordtail. Did she eat the babies? Did you remove the babies? What is the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, so she was in a 1 gal tank when she gave birth and then you moved her because she was swimming circles. What size tank is she in now?

OP
vampireshrimpfan

vampireshrimpfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LivebearerMom said:
Okay, so she was in a 1 gal tank when she gave birth and then you moved her because she was swimming circles. What size tank is she in now?
No she was in a 2 gallon with babies then I moved her to a 1 gallon. Sorry for the confusion.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That’s fine. 2 gallons is still much, much too small for a swordtail.

Did you cycle either tank?

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What is the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates of both tanks?

OP
vampireshrimpfan

vampireshrimpfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have no idea because I don't have ammonia testing kit. I am planning to get one but right now deciding which should I get

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
API liquid seems like a highly recommended product. Since you don’t know the ammonia, I’d start with large water changes daily and see if her behavior changes. Swordtails get up to 5 inches so you should focus on getting her into a 10 gallon or bigger so she can grow.

OP
vampireshrimpfan

vampireshrimpfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She died today. All my pregnant fish die after giving birth. I guess it is natural for them to die after giving birth

mrsP

Reaction score
Hi, usually fish don't die after giving birth, so if all of them die, it indicates something being wrong. It could be water quality, and giving birth pushes their body too far, or something else, but it's not normal. Sorry if this sounded rude, it's not ment that way.

OP
vampireshrimpfan

vampireshrimpfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mrsP said:
Hi, usually fish don't die after giving birth, so if all of them die, it indicates something being wrong. It could be water quality, and giving birth pushes their body too far, or something else, but it's not normal. Sorry if this sounded rude, it's not ment that way.
I got another pregnant fish ( I hope she is not going to die ). I now put my pregnant fish in a 5 gallon. I hope that is going to work to keep them alive.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry but fish shouldn't always die after giving birth. I think something may have been stressing your fish? My advice would be too try to find the cause of the stress. I hope your next one makes it, good luck!

New Threads