Help. Fish deaths monthly

• Thread starter michaelsf90
  • Start date

michaelsf90

I have made several posts in the past regarding danios. I have danios, corys and several snails. Readings are flawless, the only thing is I have diatoms and brown algae so I dont know what the phosphate reading is. But ammonia, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 0 or below 5. Ph is buffered to between 7 and 7.2. Water is changed twice a week, 20% each time. I am also now running carbon to remove any toxins etc and to make the water crystal clear

Over the months my danios have been dying one a month. They stop eating, end up in a u shape and slowly die. It looks quite awful. I have never seen a white stringy poop. I have salt dipped a couple for external parasites but never noticed anything drastic. Now my big dominant zebra danio wouldn't eat last night and is looking weight. Now I have been told it is more than likely wasting disease or the fact that danios are so interbred these days. But what's bothering me is how it's one a month. Would parasites affect one fish at a time or them all at once? I dont want to treat the tank as snails are extremely sensitive and so are Cory's. I feel like I'm stuck with a problem I cant get rid of. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm worrying thinking one by one il lose my danios and then any fish I add will just die due to something being in the tank :(

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
I am beginning to think the good health has been bred out of danios. I ended up losing all my zebra danios and all but one pearl danio. None of mine wasted away but they did slowly develop the U shape and eventually they would die. It is heartbreaking watching this happening. Once all of mine were gone I decided not to restock them.

This hasn't happened to any of my other fish so I have to think it is something that happens only to danios. I wish I had better news for you and could tell you what to do to stop it happening but sadly I don't know of anything we can do for them. I don't think it is a parasite. I think it is genetics, over breeding and the application of antibiotics.

So many of the fish available to us these days seem to have been over bred to the point of so many different species no longer being healthy. I think but of course don't know for a fact that these little guys have been treated with antibiotics for so long they no longer have their natural immunity to those things they used to be able to fight off.

I am sorry you and your little guys are going through this. It is painful to watch. :(

Vivo

I would quarantine all the danios and use API Prazipro for internal parasites since they seem to be skinny. Just in case it isn’t genetic.

michaelsf90

The quarantine would be difficult. I have 2 zebras left, 2 leopard, 4 pearls and 5 glowlights. The glowlights seem the healthiest although one of them seems to be skinny. The Cory's are all fine and so are the snails. My spare quarantine tank is a small 25 litre so I couldn't house them in that. My plan once the danios time has come was to add neon tetras and then just have leopard or zebra danios only for the top

Any ideas for top dwellers that isnt danios that would go with neons, Cory's and snails. Tank temp is 24C/75F

I had otos which died after 3 weeks. Reading up what happens to them and how they die I thought was awful so I said to never get them again. If it's the same with danios I will steer clear. They are suppose to be bulletproof fish but I cant help but feel responsible even tho I think I do everything right for them

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
I now have bloodfin tetras and so far they seem to be healthy. I've only had them for a few months so time will tell. They spend most of their time in a fairly tight group in the same level of the tank the danios use to stay. They do venture all over the tank but the top level seems to be where they are most comfortable. They are very active little guys and with the silvery body with red fins are a very pretty fish.

Danio's like neon tetras used to be fairly healthy fish but it seems that is no longer the case with either of them. :( I have had both live for a very long time in the past but that just doesn't seem to be the case today. Others may have better luck with them but I am lucky to have them much more than a year whereas my black skirt tetras are going on 5 years old now and are still healthy. Hopefully that will be the case with the bloodfins too.

michaelsf90

It's rather annoying and it kind of puts me off when danios are suppose to live for 3 years. To have them just under a year and they are slowly going. It looks like my dominant zebra isnt eating. I will try infusing food with garlic tomorrow. That usually works but I'm expecting in the next couple of weeks for him to die. Would green neon tetras be any better? I've heard blood fins can be nippy. Il end up with a snail and shrimp tank if I keep losing fish!

Vivo

I understand. FYI, a quarantine “tank” could be a plastic bin with an air stone and heater thou a small sponge filter would be good. You just need to keep up on water changes. I have two 10gallone sponge filters in my 33gal acting as air stones. If I need a quarantine tank I just use one of the sponge filters as it is seeded with beneficial bacteria already and doubles as an air stone too. The are 6 bucks on amazon. Aquatop. One of the best pieces of advise I’ve been given. Good luck. You can google top dwellers. I struggle with the same issue. Looking for comparable tank mates that spend time on top. Hatchet and half beaks but I think they like different parameters.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
michaelsf90 said:
It's rather annoying and it kind of puts me off when danios are suppose to live for 3 years. To have them just under a year and they are slowly going. It looks like my dominant zebra isnt eating. I will try infusing food with garlic tomorrow. That usually works but I'm expecting in the next couple of weeks for him to die. Would green neon tetras be any better? I've heard blood fins can be nippy. Il end up with a snail and shrimp tank if I keep losing fish!
I've never had green neon tetras so I don't know. Fortunately I've not seen my bloodfins nipping or even bothering anyone else in the tank. Not even my elderly slow moving long finned black skirts.

michaelsf90

I know neons can be a bit what's the word, awkward to keep and arent as hardy as danios which is why I'm wondering what's going wrong. People say danios are the hardest fish you can get!

I love Odessa and cherry barbs. I know they're mid dwellers. I had Odessas but they kept chasing and nipping my corys. I wonder if cherrys would be a risky buy?

Any other hardy fish anyone can recommend. Are guppies any good? I think they're top dwellers

How have you made a sponge filter as an air stone? I have a fluval u3 filter and then a small 300 litres an hour filled with crushed coral to buffer the ph. Ph is steady at 7. Its very soft water round here!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
I am thinking Vivo is running sponge filters instead of air stones. Air stones aerate the water. So do sponge filters. I also run sponge filters instead of air stones in most of my tanks.

Tiger Barbs were the only fish I ever re-homed because they were chasing and nipping my other fish. That was many years ago though. I am thinking kallililly1973 has and really likes his tiger barbs though. Hopefully he will stop by and have some ideas as to what might work for you.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
What size tank is it and what is your current stock? If you do guppies be prepared for a ton of fry if u end up with a female. I think they are born pregnant;)... we love our tigers. We have 10 in a 29 with 5 guppies 5 albino Cory’s and an albino bristlenose pleco and all they do is chase each other they never have any aggression towards the other fish. Another good option are Vonrio tetras we have 10 in a 55 with a boatload of other fish. Serpae are also imo/ime very hardy. We starts with 6 of those and 6 zebras and the zebras died off but we still have 4 out of 6 of the serpae and we got them 3 years ago... I don’t think I’ll up their school cause they will also hang out wit the Vonrio. Again I’ve never seen any fin nipping from them either just an occasional chase once in a while. Sorry that happened with your fish. Good luck with your next choice hope they stay healthy and hardy for u!!

Vivo

michaelsf90 said:
I know neons can be a bit what's the word, awkward to keep and arent as hardy as danios which is why I'm wondering what's going wrong. People say danios are the hardest fish you can get!

I love Odessa and cherry barbs. I know they're mid dwellers. I had Odessas but they kept chasing and nipping my corys. I wonder if cherrys would be a risky buy?

Any other hardy fish anyone can recommend. Are guppies any good? I think they're top dwellers

How have you made a sponge filter as an air stone? I have a fluval u3 filter and then a small 300 litres an hour filled with crushed coral to buffer the ph. Ph is steady at 7. Its very soft water round here!
The small sponge filter act as air stones as they bubble also, but filter and can help cycle a new tank or QT.

From what I've read, Guppies last about a year, also because of bad breeding practices. A year is better than a month. I get really attached to my fish and I like them to live a long time, so I'm trying to stay away from hose with short life spans on the get go.

I have harlequin rasboras and they seem pretty hardy. Allegedly can live around 5-7 years. They tend to stay in the middle column. To get my neons fed, I float food and then dip some in the water so my harleys are distracted and my neons get what is falling. Then my kuhli's clean up.

Just be sure to buy 6 or more if you get schooling fish. Serpea Tetras can be fin nippers, but are more calm in groups as most fish.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
As everyone else has said if parasite meds don't work then its probably bad genetics. I've never owned danios but I have seen lots of people on this forum having problems with them.

Frank the Fish guy

Well Known
Imagine a giant trough of zebra fish, aerated so much it looks like the fish are always moving around. The eggs fall through the bottom which has little slots. The eggs fall through so they can't be eaten. The eggs go into a another trough where they grow up and the cycle continue.

When shipped, the fish are put in bags and weighted. Nobody looks at them.

The key is that there is no selection happening. Fish with curved spines are shipped along with the others. Zero selection.

They could be breed so that the fish with curved spines are removed. But this is not being done.

Buy your fish from a small, home breeder instead.

Consider getting your zebras from here for example:

or find a local breeder. In general avoid the pets stores, big stores, or anything but a private breeder. The reason is that they will actually look at the fish they breed. That is all it takes!

Stay away from the giant trough breed fish since there is no selection and thus unhealthy traits are all throughout.

michaelsf90

I have internal sponge filters which aerate the water at the top and provide constant water movement

All the fish kallililly1973 suggested seem to be a risk in terms of in a community tank. Guppies seem the same as danios and neons as in extensively bred. The Odessa barbs I had hounded my Cory's. Are cherrys the most peaceful barbs?

The tank is 125L/33 gallon. Currently stocked with 4 pearl danios, 5 glowlight danios, 2 leopard and 2 zebra danios, 6 peppered corys, 4 nerite snails, 1 rabbit snail and 5 babies. I am also considering adding 2 amano shrimp but I'm worried they may target my baby rabbit snails!

Rasboras seems like a very good choice. Are they peaceful in temperament? What gets me is danios are suppose to be the hardiest of fish! Hulks of the fish world.

As usual this is all amazing advice. And the private breeders is a good idea but seems harder to find in the UK. Small independent fish shops are few and far between. Online but online is a risk. I bought glowlights from a really reputable independent fish shop. The zebras and pearls and Corey's were a mix between maidenhead aquatics which is nationwide and pets at home which is nationwide. I was going to try neons from the independent fish shop as they seem to be the best quality however I am swaying to some kind of rasbora. Its just the top dwelling fish. Guppies are beautiful but I dont like the thought of seeing baby fish and fry being eaten

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
michaelsf90 said:
I have internal sponge filters which aerate the water at the top and provide constant water movement

All the fish kallililly1973 suggested seem to be a risk in terms of in a community tank. Guppies seem the same as danios and neons as in extensively bred. The Odessa barbs I had hounded my Cory's. Are cherrys the most peaceful barbs?

The tank is 125L/33 gallon. Currently stocked with 4 pearl danios, 5 glowlight danios, 2 leopard and 2 zebra danios, 6 peppered corys, 4 nerite snails, 1 rabbit snail and 5 babies. I am also considering adding 2 amano shrimp but I'm worried they may target my baby rabbit snails!

Rasboras seems like a very good choice. Are they peaceful in temperament? What gets me is danios are suppose to be the hardiest of fish! Hulks of the fish world.

As usual this is all amazing advice. And the private breeders is a good idea but seems harder to find in the UK. Small independent fish shops are few and far between. Online but online is a risk. I bought glowlights from a really reputable independent fish shop. The zebras and pearls and Corey's were a mix between maidenhead aquatics which is nationwide and pets at home which is nationwide. I was going to try neons from the independent fish shop as they seem to be the best quality however I am swaying to some kind of rasbora. Its just the top dwelling fish. Guppies are beautiful but I dont like the thought of seeing baby fish and fry being eaten
Im going to have to disagree on that guppy part. Yeah you may get one that's a little inbred and not in the best health every once in a while, but for the most part they will be healthy if you chose the right breeder.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
RomanNoodles96 said:
Im going to have to disagree on that guppy part. Yeah you may get one that's a little inbred and not in the best health every once in a while, but for the most part they will be healthy if you chose the right breeder.
Which still boils down to 1 healthy guppy from a breeder vs. 1 million of mass produced guppies in the trade. You overestimate the availability of genetically healthy guppies.

It's also not that there are no breeders in the UK, but in Europe in general finding private breeders works not via the internet, but via clubs and associations. I'd look for that and they usually have registers of breeders and somebody knows somebody else and so on... Maybe also join a UK based forum.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
MacZ said:
Which still boils down to 1 healthy guppy from a breeder vs. 1 million of mass produced guppies in the trade. You overestimate the availability of genetically healthy guppies.

It's also not that there are no breeders in the UK, but in Europe in general finding private breeders works not via the internet, but via clubs and associations. I'd look for that and they usually have registers of breeders and somebody knows somebody else and so on... Maybe also join a UK based forum.
It may be more difficult in Europe, or even in the US, but I just have a LFS that has a good stock of guppies. Most decently sized LFS even breed their own guppies. I guess you are right, its just been easier for me to get genetically healthy guppies.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Im in the US but it’s still been hard finding healthy guppy’s. Most of mine have died or gotten sick.

Mazeus

Well Known
Hey OP! Not sure where you are in the UK, but if you are anywhere near the Southwest of England there are some good independent LFS that I would recommend.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
RomanNoodles96 said:
Most decently sized LFS even breed their own guppies.
Here they don't. I had a bit of insight into how it works here: Usually LFS (smaller private and big box alike) buy their stock from a wholesaler (which in most cases is also an importer), because of legal liabilities. Mostly insurance.
Very rarely you find small specialty stores (I know one specialized on Rift Lake cichlids and one on wild betta.), that ONLY trade in locally bred and/or wild caught fish instead of mass produced fish. And their prices reflect that. :D

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
MacZ said:
Here they don't. I had a bit of insight into how it works here: Usually LFS (smaller private and big box alike) buy their stock from a wholesaler (which in most cases is also an importer), because of legal liabilities. Mostly insurance.
Very rarely you find small specialty stores (I know one specialized on Rift Lake cichlids and one on wild betta.), that ONLY trade in locally bred and/or wild caught fish instead of mass produced fish. And their prices reflect that. :D
That makes a lot of sense. Sucks that fish are so massively inbred these days.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
RomanNoodles96 said:
That makes a lot of sense. Sucks that fish are so massively inbred these days.
Even in the 90s some species were already massively inbred: For sure Guppies, Bettas and Goldfish were already back then, but also yellow labs, swordbearers, platies and angelfish. Danios were all but a normal sight in stores back then. They only really took off towards the 2000s here.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
MacZ said:
Even in the 90s some species were already massively inbred: For sure Guppies, Bettas and Goldfish were already back then, but also yellow labs, swordbearers, platies and angelfish. Danios were all but a normal sight in stores back then. They only really took off towards the 2000s here.
I guess the only way to get good fish is a reputable lfs or breeder?

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
RomanNoodles96 said:
I guess the only way to get good fish is a reputable lfs or breeder?
Pretty much yes. And at least, as the chain stores here are almost exclusively franchises, sometimes there is that odd branch that is ok. For most specialties a breeder is still the best choice.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
MacZ said:
Pretty much yes. And at least, as the chain stores here are almost exclusively franchises, sometimes there is that odd branch that is ok. For most specialties a breeder is still the best choice.
Well thanks for informing me, I learn something new on here all the time

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
RomanNoodles96 said:
Well thanks for informing me, I learn something new on here all the time
You're welcome. Once you got a decent store, try to keep up a good relationship with the owner/manager/employee you mainly deal with. Nothing can make the hobby more of an ordeal than either not finding a good store or getting on the wrong foot with the people there.

Also try to get in touch and connect with local fishkeepers, it don't have to be clubs. It's great to swap plants or just to have a backup if equipment fails on you or you run out of something. I got 4 hobbyists in the neighbourhood, there is a lot of stuff all of us don't have to buy that often anymore or we get for less by buying in bulk for the group and sharing.

michaelsf90

I find other hobbyists the best people to ask for advice. For example that best reputable shop round here told me my peppered Cory's have to be at 27C. Cannot be any colder. Yet on here that's far too hot. More like 22 or 23C for peppered Cory's. Sure some like it that hot but then ones I had prefer it chillier. My tank is 24 due to other stock. But the advice on here I find is goldust. Some fish some have their own ideas and certainly their own agendas

I am in the north west of England Mazeus

I was thinking could 24C not be too hot for the danios. Speeding up their metabolism thus reducing their lifespan. Could they technically not be doing of old age. I mean I've had them nearly 12 months and they werent tiny when I bought them. It's just a suggestion. I think I'm starting to clutch at straws when really il never know.

With regards to the shops. Maidenhead and pets at home fish look healthy but with them being nationwide I'm guessing they use similar breeders. It's annoying when you see a fish you like but because its popular it isnt worth getting because it's been so over bred to supply the demand. I would like different kinds of tetra but if they're going to be the same as danios it will just be another kick in the teeth

Mazeus

Well Known
I don't really shop at Pets at Home for fish, mainly because they aren't aquatic specialists and it's hit or miss if the staff actually know about the fish they are selling. Maidenhead is pretty decent, everyone there is knowledgeable but they are a chain, and have sales quotas to fill. My favourite shop is the local independent LFS. If you are a regular, shop staff ask about your fish and tanks, they will also order in fish that I want if I ask (because they know I will look after the fish). Building up a good relationship with a shop is so worthwhile.

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
michaelsf90 said:
I was thinking could 24C not be too hot for the danios. Speeding up their metabolism thus reducing their lifespan. Could they technically not be doing of old age. I mean I've had them nearly 12 months and they werent tiny when I bought them. It's just a suggestion. I think I'm starting to clutch at straws when really il never know.

With regards to the shops. Maidenhead and pets at home fish look healthy but with them being nationwide I'm guessing they use similar breeders. It's annoying when you see a fish you like but because its popular it isnt worth getting because it's been so over bred to supply the demand. I would like different kinds of tetra but if they're going to be the same as danios it will just be another kick in the teeth
It's not directly old age itself, that kills them, but the older a fish, the more likely an infection brings them down. Higher temperatures are rather promoting bacteria growth.

I can't say much about maidenhead or pets at home. If they are franchise stores, it's 50:50 you have a decent store or not. I agree with Mazeus that maidenhead may be the better choice longterm. In any case being knowledgeable yourself is the best thing to prevent buying bad stock. And the willpower to withstand when standing there in front of the tanks to say no, because there is something wrong in the tank/system. But that's a matter of experience.

With tetras it's very depending on which you buy. The usual suspects for bad stock: neons, blackskirts, black neons, red phantoms, bleeding hearts, embers, rummynose, glowlights.
Better stock: emperors, lemon tetras, black phantoms, diamonds, columbians, red von rios, head and tail lights, red eyes (You may notice, those are all a bit bigger species).
Hit or miss: cardinals, eques

michaelsf90

I bought my first two from pets at home. The rest are from maidenhead or pier aquatics which is the really reputable one round here. Maidenhead seem good but they are the ones I'm having problems with. The glowlight danios are from pier aquatics and are going strong

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
michaelsf90 said:
I bought my first two from pets at home. The rest are from maidenhead or pier aquatics which is the really reputable one round here. Maidenhead seem good but they are the ones I'm having problems with. The glowlight danios are from pier aquatics and are going strong
Well, that sounds like an obvious result. :D

Mazeus

Well Known
michaelsf90 said:
It may be worth speaking to Maidenhead and letting them know. If their wholesaler is supplying sick fish, they may want to consider changing (they are a big chain and probably have multiple suppliers anyhow).

michaelsf90

I really wanted rummy nose tetra. Lemon tetras look interesting but are they a bit aggresive?

I have a picture of the affected fish that has stopped eating. Hes swimming at the top today with the other fish which he wasnt doing. He looks not as colourful as usual. Like slightly dull but it's nothing too much. Anyway I was wondering. If it's a protozoa infection which it affect one fish at once or several. I know its probably the genetics but one fish will die then 3 to 4 weeks later another starts showing symptoms which is the stop eating. Swim on their own. Slowly start to get worse and worse until death

Here is the little guy

Attachments

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
michaelsf90 said:
I really wanted rummy nose tetra. Lemon tetras look interesting but are they a bit aggresive?
Only among each other, as most tetras. They can(!) be fin-nippy when stressed, but as long as they can bicker among each other that doesn't matter. Rummynose are in my experience the only real schoolers one can get for freshwater (except silver dollars and the like), they do best in tanks over 1.5m long in groups of more than 20. I mean you can keep less in smaller tanks, but somehow that doesn't really do it.

michaelsf90 said:
I have a picture of the affected fish that has stopped eating. Hes swimming at the top today with the other fish which he wasnt doing. He looks not as colourful as usual. Like slightly dull but it's nothing too much. Anyway I was wondering. If it's a protozoa infection which it affect one fish at once or several. I know its probably the genetics but one fish will die then 3 to 4 weeks later another starts showing symptoms which is the stop eating. Swim on their own. Slowly start to get worse and worse until death

Here is the little guy
Protozoa would affect all fish with a bad immune system at once.

You know, this sounds a lot like my low ranking cardinal tetras. I lost several around January/February and it was always the runt of the group. They always would stop eating at one point and wither away.
I'm down to three. The lowest ranking always has some minor bite injuries and lately it had a white patch from a beating and after that was healed it was bloated to pineconing. I didn't do anything but more and bigger waterchanges (plus extra tannins) and now it stuffs three granules of food in its mouth while the others only eat one each.
(Before you ask: I don't stock up because those three show their relationship to piranha and I can't source any in the same size, only half sized which is to risky imo.)

Other than that: Just let them go extinct now and restock with simething else.

I also just found I overread the mention of carbon filtering: You can remove it by now. Carbon filtering is something I only do after the use of meds to remove the rest after a big waterchange.

michaelsf90

My tank is 80cm long. I don't know whether to get like say ten or twelve rummynose or lemon tetras or harlequin rasboras. Or whether to keep the glowlight danios which are beautiful coloured as a six or seven and get either of the other three in a group of six or seven. I know one school is better but then it's less variety. Either way it could be a year before I change stock. But I'm guessing the glowlights will outlive the rest because of the better quality of store so once the other danios go its restocking with something else. What do I do when I have one type of a certain danio left. Restock with new types or just leave it on it's own because of the stress of it being outnumbered?

Its the dominant big zebra which is now starting. Its only been the boss! I started using stress coat plus which seems to have been helping. I have carbon in because the water was a brown colour and the carbon has helped control the diatoms as well. Without carbon the diatoms got quite bad

MacZ

Fishlore VIP
When you only have one left leave it and restock with something else.

The highest ranking fish can be burned out.

The brown colour is tannins, which is good for the fish. Less diatoms means you might have too high silica in the water, but as I always try to get the brown tint and some algae... Still, carbon filtering often does more bad than good, when used long term.

Jbuds

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am brand new to the hobby myself and i was told repeatedly how hardy danios are. But i have not found this to be the case at all. I am doing pretty well keeping my water quality up. I am sure i made some rookie mistakes and i am responsible for a few of my losses. However, i am finding my fish to exhibit similar confusing symptoms as well. I know the responsibility lies with me but i find it a little comforting to know that i may not be the reason im having such a high death rate. I wish i didn't start with such bad luck. I love this hobby but seeing these creatures pass is making me question if it is not worth it. I hope you have better luck with a different fish.

mattgirl said:
I am beginning to think the good health has been bred out of danios. I ended up losing all my zebra danios and all but one pearl danio. None of mine wasted away but they did slowly develop the U shape and eventually they would die. It is heartbreaking watching this happening. Once all of mine were gone I decided not to restock them.

This hasn't happened to any of my other fish so I have to think it is something that happens only to danios. I wish I had better news for you and could tell you what to do to stop it happening but sadly I don't know of anything we can do for them. I don't think it is a parasite. I think it is genetics, over breeding and the application of antibiotics.

So many of the fish available to us these days seem to have been over bred to the point of so many different species no longer being healthy. I think but of course don't know for a fact that these little guys have been treated with antibiotics for so long they no longer have their natural immunity to those things they used to be able to fight off.

I am sorry you and your little guys are going through this. It is painful to watch. :(
Everyone told me how hardy danios are. They said that danios are a great fish for beginners. I am having very similar luck and symptoms as OP. Doing my best with water quality. You have me hoping that I am not completely failing these guys. I hope i have better luck with a different species because I find this hobby very rewarding. I wasn't prepared for this much loss so fast.

michaelsf90

I feel your pain @jbbuds. It does make you feel down and whether it's worth it. Not nice seeing something suffer. I feel factors can add together as well. Like we have had heatwaves then cold spells. The temperature can be 24C then 27C then 24C. Over a period of course. Danios are temperate and ideally want to be around the 22 mark. I have my tank at 24 to accommodate my rabbit snails which are thriving. A new baby every month. My corys are fine. That's what's keeping me going. Snails are super cool. Especially rabbit snails. I am the same tho I want my next fish to last. I really wanted neons but as people have said it's the same mass breeding. One thing I will say is the advice on here is priceless so il stick to it. I know my next choice of stocking its just wether I choose two small schools of two different types or one large school. I know the large school is more ideal

MacZ so carbon is a no no long term? I've just ordered another 8 carbon pads changing the pads every 6 weeks

Also MacZ I have phosguard to use which I am hoping will kill off the diatoms but I'm reluctant to use with having live plants

Jbuds

I am curious about the carbon as well. My filter came with carbon inside the media. I purchased 6 replacements just to have them. I assumed all tanks had carbon and that it was necessary. I picked up one of the sponge filter air pump setups off aquarium co op and have been growing my bacteria on that while the carbon hang on filter continues to run. Sounds like should go all sponge filter? Sorry to derail your thread but this carbon issue seems like something I could be doing wrong.

Top Bottom