HELP! Fish Death After Water Change

yukiyamallama

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HELP! Two of my ember tetras died just hours after I did an 80% water change. I tested the water but everything is fine. I checked some articles online and they say it may be due to stress...I am thinking it is because they always get spooked when I do even a 10% water changed. What went wrong?

Best Answer - View Wrench's answer
OP
yukiyamallama

yukiyamallama

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl said:
How often do you do water changes?
This week 3 times. Because Im having algae problems and everytime I look up how to fight it, they suggest making the water quality better by changing the water. But what's different is that I usually do 30%. I decided 80 percent today because I was gonna do a blackout on my tank for 3 days so I scrubbed of every algae I can including on the plants.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
yukiyamallama said:
This week 3 times. Because Im having algae problems and everytime I look up how to fight it, they suggest making the water quality better by changing the water. But what's different is that I usually do 30%. I decided 80 percent today because I was gonna do a blackout on my tank for 3 days so I scrubbed of every algae I can including on the plants.
How bad was algae? Personally I don't mind a little algae. Helps the whole process of life if not out of control.

Did you maybe forget the declorinator?
Or with 80% change do you know the difference in ph of your tap and tank? Could be ph shock or temp shock. 80% is alot if not very close peremetirs

I feel like some people over clean tanks because they fear ANY algae is bad and in turn hurt beneficial bacteria.

Fyi my shrimp tanks I never clean algae it's all over

Yes 3 waterchanges in a week will ad stress but not kill them if done correctly.

OP
yukiyamallama

yukiyamallama

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SanDiegoRedneck said:
How bad was algae? Personally I don't mind a little algae. Helps the whole process of life if not out of control.

Did you maybe forget the declorinator?
Or with 80% change do you know the difference in ph of your tap and tank? Could be ph shock or temp shock. 80% is alot if not very close peremetirs

I feel like some people over clean tanks because they fear ANY algae is bad and in turn hurt beneficial bacteria.

Yes 3 waterchanges in a week will ad stress but not kill them if done correctly.
The algae was I would say 7/10 (10 being worst). It started growing on the plants and covering its leaves almost completely. I placed dechlorinator before adding the water. The water I use comes from the same tap I've been using for my other tanks and it has no heaters so the water that comes out is always the same temp at around 28 degrees Celsius. The tank doesn't have a heater also because my country is very hot and the tank will remain a 28-30 degrees celsius everyday.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yukiyamallama said:
The algae was I would say 7/10 (10 being worst). It started growing on the plants and covering its leaves almost completely. I placed dechlorinator before adding the water. The water I use comes from the same tap I've been using for my other tanks and it has no heaters so the water that comes out is always the same temp at around 28 degrees Celsius. The tank doesn't have a heater also because my country is very hot and the tank will remain a 28-30 degrees celsius everyday.
3 times a week is excessively stressful I feel and also over algae, why not buy a pleco or some snails instead and let it be a natural habitat that they can maintain as well as you.
My 135 gallon tank is outside...in direct sun for over 3.5 hours, which I like because it helps the tank hold temperature through the night and only fluctuates 3°, I have a bit of algae on the front part of the tank and the right side but the snails and 2 plecos are constantly fed and the algae is becoming less and less over time because of the stocking choices.
My 28 gallon has white hair algae as well and my snails and a.d.f.s nibble on that too.
Algae gets a bad rap in my opinion. I think it is a good thing and completes a true eco system.

OP
yukiyamallama

yukiyamallama

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wrench said:
3 times a week is excessively stressful I feel and also over algae, why not buy a pleco or some snails instead and let it be a natural habitat that they can maintain as well as you.
My 135 gallon tank is outside...in direct sun for over 3.5 hours, which I like because it helps the tank hold temperature through the night and only fluctuates 3°, I have a bit of algae on the front part of the tank and the right side but the snails and 2 plecos are constantly fed and the algae is becoming less and less over time because of the stocking choices.
My 28 gallon has white hair algae as well and my snails and a.d.f.s nibble on that too.
Algae gets a bad rap in my opinion. I think it is a good thing and completes a true eco system.
MMm i see. I guess I stressed them out too much. I had 10 shrimps in the tank but the algae was just too much for them. I always tried to get rid of algae because in my last tank I let the algae be, only scraped the glass, and the algae hardened the leaves of the plants and I had to trim and replant them

AquEric

Reaction score
AquEric said:
Do you have any snails I keep nerites and they leave my plants alone I also keep black
Sorry black mollys they love algae

OP
yukiyamallama

yukiyamallama

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquEric said:
Do you have any snails I keep nerites and they leave my plants alone I also keep black
Yes, but they are pest snails. Not a lot though...the other algae eaters would be my 10 red cherry shrimps. The algae was just growing too fast. Despite me cutting the light hours to 5-6 hours a day.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say up your weekly water change to 50%. There may just be too many nutrients the algae like built up.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yukiyamallama said:
MMm i see. I guess I stressed them out too much. I had 10 shrimps in the tank but the algae was just too much for them. I always tried to get rid of algae because in my last tank I let the algae be, only scraped the glass, and the algae hardened the leaves of the plants and I had to trim and replant them
Get mystery snails or 1 apple snail, @StarGirl schooled me about my "large" mystery snails and they are in fact apple snails,they are fast and clean and eat algae like a machine...at least mine do.
I think they also bred as well because I have seen 4 or 5 super super small snails recently and got very excited!

OP
yukiyamallama

yukiyamallama

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ahh okok i see. Well honestly im not gonna be surprised if more ember tetras die, I guess I learned this the hard way...I can't do much at this point. Ill just check back tomorrow

OP
yukiyamallama

yukiyamallama

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wrench said:
Get mystery snails or 1 apple snail, @StarGirl schooled me about my "large" mystery snails and they are in fact apple snails,they are fast and clean and eat algae like a machine...at least mine do.
I think they also need as well because I have seen 4 or 5 super super small snails recently and got very excited!
Sadly they are not available in me part of the country...They mostly sell Nerites. I tried reaching out to sellers for Amano shrimps but none have replied back yet. Do those clean hair algae?

AquEric

Reaction score
yukiyamallama said:
Yes, but they are pest snails. Not a lot though...the other algae eaters would be my 10 red cherry shrimps. The algae was just growing too fast. Despite me cutting the light hours to 5-6 hours a day.
Try a few black mollys I keep two in my 55s they do wonders for it maybe you would not have to change so much water 80% is a lot

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yukiyamallama said:
Sadly they are not available in me part of the country...They mostly sell Nerites. I tried reaching out to sellers for Amano shrimps but none have replied back yet
Then get some nerites and a bristlenose pleco.
The algae will dwindle and you will have a few things in the tank you do not have to worry about catering too at feeding time.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wrench said:
I think they also bred as well because I have seen 4 or 5 super super small snails recently and got very excited!
You forgot to add when the algae is gone apple snails will eat your plants too. ;) Lol

OP
yukiyamallama

yukiyamallama

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquEric said:
Try a few black mollys I keep two in my 55s they do wonders for it maybe you would not have to change so much water 80% is a lot
definitely taking that into account, thanks!

New Threads