Help! Fish Compatibility?

freshwaterr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! So I’m trying to plan what fish to buy after my tank becomes completely cycled. My tank is 38 gallons.

I won’t add all of these fish at once however I am looking to add:

-dwarf gourami(s)
-Cory cats
- and some other group of maybe tetras

Is this a good combination?

What do you recommend to add?

Can I keep more than one dwarf gourami together? Do they have to be certain genders or numbers?

Thanks!

Daxisapit

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
freshwaterr said:
Hi! So I’m trying to plan what fish to buy after my tank becomes completely cycled. My tank is 38 gallons.

-dwarf gourami(s)
-Cory cats

Can I keep more than one dwarf gourami together? Do they have to be certain genders or numbers?

Thanks!
You can’t keep more than one dwarf gourami together. It often results in fighting.

Stinna

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hunter1 said:
I have a 36 and kinda wish I had more than 2 honeys.
I agree, you could probably fit more than two in there. As long as the male to female ratio is sensible, you should be fine. If you want dwarfs and not honeys though, I wouldn’t recommend more that one male though, since they can be pretty territorial towards eachother.

freshwaterr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
varmint said:
How about a pair of Honey gouramis instead of the Dwarfs.
Hi! Thanks for the suggestion however in the moment I am more interested in dwarf gourami because I was going to make them my center piece of the tank however if I should only put one in that is perfectly okay! Thank you!

Stinna said:
I agree, you could probably fit more than two in there. As long as the male to female ratio is sensible, you should be fine. If you want dwarfs and not honeys though, I wouldn’t recommend more that one male though, since they can be pretty territorial towards eachother.
Thank you! If I were to try more than one just to try my luck, would it be best to do all females or one male and the rest female? Or is it too risky to try at all?

Stinna

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
freshwaterr said:
Thank you! If I were to try more than one just to try my luck, would it be best to do all females or one male and the rest female? Or is it too risky to try at all?
Hmm, I think you could try a male and maybe two or three ladies and then just see how it goes. I don’t think it’s too risky to not at least give it a shot. Typically a ratio of 1 male to 2-3 females works out fine. Or you could start out with just a pair and go from there.

Stinna

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I forgot to say, it’d be a good idea to keep them in a heavily planted tank with a floating plant or two as well (keep in mind that there should still be surface area for them to breathe, hehe). That way there’s plenty of hiding spots and little “territories” in the aquarium for them, which will help to make the dwarfs more peaceful both amongst themselves and towards their tank mates.

freshwaterr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Stinna said:
I forgot to say, it’d be a good idea to keep them in a heavily planted tank with a floating plant or two as well (keep in mind that there should still be surface area for them to breathe, hehe). That way there’s plenty of hiding spots and little “territories” in the aquarium for them, which will help to make the dwarfs more peaceful both amongst themselves and towards their tank mates.
Thank you for your help! I am so excited agh I need to buy a filter first and then cycle the tank but I’m happy to give some dwarf gourami a new home!

Stinna

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
freshwaterr said:
Thank you for your help! I am so excited agh I need to buy a filter first and then cycle the tank but I’m happy to give some dwarf gourami a new home!
You're very welcome! Agh, waiting for the tank to cycle is the worst, haha, but necessary nonetheless. Good luck with them! I'm sure you'll do great. :)

AquaKingg

Valued Member
Reaction score
freshwaterr said:

-dwarf gourami(s)
-Cory cats

Thanks!
I have a 25 gallon freshwater that has 1 dwarf Gourami and 4 Cory cats. Seems to work great for me. I also have white skirt tetras. They’re very hardy and mine aren’t aggressive at all. I don’t recommend more than 1 dwarf Gouramis.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom