Help finish stocking my 53g tank

1. AngelicNerd Member Member

Hey all. So I've got a 53gallon marineland aquarium that I've had for a couple months now. It's fully cycled and has a decent amount of plants in it. I've currently got 6 panda Cory catfish, 14 neon tetras, 5 creamsicle lyretail mollies, and a powder blue dwarf gourami. I plan to add a couple male guppies and at least 9 or 10 kuhli loaches, but other than that, I've got nothing. Aqadvisor says I can have up to 50 neons with my tank set up if I wanted to just have a giant school of them, but my husband's not too big on that idea. The tank's hanging out at 76 degrees.

So what would you do? I honestly have no idea. I don't know if I want more schooling fish or more bright fish or what. What do you think would look good?

I've attached a picture of the current tank set up. There's another piece of driftwood that I'm going to put in the empty space near the middle. I've attached a picture of it too, just so you guys can get something of an idea. Thanks for your help!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. MissyRay Member Member

Your tank looks great!

Maybe increase the cories, the look really great in larger numbers and are always happier with more, I would double what you have.

Also, same goes IMO with the neons, more is impressive but I don't think you need to go to 50, maybe another 6-10?

What about instead of the guppies, a slightly larger liver bearer? there's a ton of varieties of swordtails that are absolutely beautiful and would compliment the mollies nicely.

3. corylover99 Member Member

I agree that you should increase the school of corys. You could go to 10-12 corys of one kind total. They are a social fish and they do extremely well in large groups. If you don't want to add more neons, you could do another school of tetras to add some diversity to the tank!

4. Aquarium Newb Member Member

Personally I would go with guppies, I love the look of some of the very bright vibrant ones, and a good amount of them I think would look good in your tank like 10 or so? Just my opinion though, but swordtails do look very nice and get pretty big so they would look good too!

5. AngelicNerd Member Member

I like the idea of tetras. Harlequin tetras are gorgeous, so maybe I'll add some of them, like 15 or so. I'll probably get a couple more cories, but I'm planning on 9 kuhli loaches. Do you think that would be too much going on at the bottom?

Bonus picture of Duncan, the Dwarf Gourami.

[​IMG]

6. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Be wary of upping your cory school. The fact that they share the floor with kuhli loaches could result in your kuhli loaches hiding more. I would try to keep the kuhli numbers above the cory numbers by more than just 1 or 2. What are the dimensions of your tank?

The reason I say this is that kuhli's are a shy fish and cories are a bit more boisterous. I've found while keeping kuhli's with cories in equal numbers, the kuhli's will hide more and can be outcompeted for food. However, when my cory population thinned out, the kuhli's became more active and less shy.

Love the driftwood btw

7. AngelicNerd Member Member

Thanks!

Dimensions are 36Lx18Dx21H.

Hm. I will keep that in mind tyguy.

8. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

with a 36 inch tank, I'd say the bottom is pretty stocked with 10 kuhli's and 6 panda cories.