HELP! Fin rot won’t go away

Charlitfc

Reaction score
Tank readings:
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

Note: I tested my tap water, and it shows exactly the same readings.

My boy has fin rot and it refuses to be cured. When I first noticed it I did 50% water changes for a few days, then 30% every day for a week. It didn’t make a difference. I’ve tried melafix and Interpret AntI fungus and fin rot. All it did was make him really unwell, he looked like he was going to die in his quarantine tank. I’m doing a minimum of 25% water changes every day. He also has aquarium salt and almond leaves in his tank but nothing is touching it. I could cry :’(
If anyone can help please let me know

Attachments

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Will take a few weeks to start growing back how long have you had him? Bettas are known to bite their own fins when bored. Change up the layout of the tank is a simple fix. But for fin rot lose medications and keep water Clean

OP
C

Charlitfc

Reaction score
fishkeeper19524 said:
Your ammonia in the tap seems a bit too high, do you use a water conditioner before putting it in to the tank ? Also I would start doing salt baths
I use tetra aquasafe. I don’t know how to lower the ammonia when it’s in my source of water. How would you recommend I do the salt baths? And how often?
Thank you

Rcslade124 said:
Will take a few weeks to start growing back how long have you had him? Bettas are known to bite their own fins when bored. Change up the layout of the tank is a simple fix. But for fin rot lose medications and keep water Clean
I’ve had him since last February but I just moved into this house with him a few months ago from a different area (his original tank water came with him so it didn’t need to be cycled again) but within a week or so of a water change I saw a difference

fishkeeper19524

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Charlitfc said:
I use tetra aquasafe. I don’t know how to lower the ammonia when it’s in my source of water. How would you recommend I do the salt baths? And how often?
Thank you
I think prime lowers ammonia . As for salt baths what I usually do is I add 3 spoon fills of salt in to a container and put the fish in there for a few seconds

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Be careful with salt baths, bettas are sensitive to changes. Honestly if he was in a QT with meds he could just be stressed. Salt baths will stress him further. If you did want to add salt, slowly adding it to his main tank instead of doing dips would be less stressful. In my opinion, I agree with Rcslade, don't stress him out further just do regular water changes to keep the water clean. What is your light cycle? I'd turn the lights on for maybe 6-8 hours a day, longer dark periods to keep him calm.

As for the ammonia, if you are using liquid API test kits they are notorious for reading 0.25 ppm as a false positive. Mine ALWAYS comes back 0.25 ppm now, and when I first bought the stuff it read 0 ppm. I know my tank is cycled and I know there's no ammonia in my tap, so the test kit is wrong. If you know 100% your tank is established and cycled, there probably isn't actually any ammonia in there.

I would still use Prime. It's the most recommended deconditioner on this site. It binds up any ammonia for 24-48 hours and detoxifies chlorine. Some people say to dose the whole tank every water change, others only dose the new water. It's really hard to overdose the fish with it (more than 5x the whole tank to harm a fish) so it's really up to you.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I definitely would get some Prime as your water conditioner just in case there is ammonia in the tap water. I agree with Rcslade and Livebearermom also.

New Threads