Help: Filter Overflowing

Haley24601
I have a Tetra Whisper 2-10 hang on back filter for my new 10 gallon tank.

It is overflowing and made water spill out the back of my tank!

The filter and tank are only a week or 2 old.

Please help!
20180903_220636.jpg
20180903_220646.jpg

Popopapy1
Take some water out of the tank itself. It will probably have a better flow if you do that.

Oh nevermind it’s not in the tank

adagona
Is the filter clogged? You'll need to rinse the media in tank water in a separate bucket then insert it back into filter and see if it helps.

Fisharewet
I have that same filter and never had that happen maybe its just clogged up

erhwho
Have you checked to make sure nothing is clogging the water from flowing through the media? I've not used that specific filter but that would be the first thing I would think to check.

Haley24601
Is the filter clogged? You'll need to rinse the media in tank water in a separate bucket then insert it back into filter and see if it helps.
I tried that, it's still overflowing

I have that same filter and never had that happen maybe its just clogged up

Have you checked to make sure nothing is clogging the water from flowing through the media? I've not used that specific filter but that would be the first thing I would think to check.

PonzLL
You could add some filter floss or something to the intake tube. As a bonus you get extra filtration and more for bacteria to cling to! I do it on my 20 gallon tank and it makes it much easier to clean

wodesorel
If you remove the cartridge completely, does it go back to flowing normal?

erhwho
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the black sponge be behind the filter cartridge? It looks like it is inserted backwards maybe? As in the water flows through the black sponge first, then through the pouch and then back out into the tank??

*Edited to add: Nevermind. I looked the filter up and it is inserted correctly.

bitseriously
All you can do is break the problem down, and isolate possible causes experimentally.
Try running the filter with no cartridge. If that fixes the issue, you know the cartridge is the problem.
I suspect this will be the case. Next, put in a fresh unused cartridge (temporarily, as a diagnostic) and see if the problem persists. If a new cartridge also fixes the problem, you know the issue is specifically the cartridge you’re currently using.

Michael.j.gomez
Hello, I have these type of filters in a couple of my small tanks your filter pad is clogged w/gunk. Put about 1 gal. tank water in a bucket, unplug filter, pull filter pad & black sponge from unit. In tank water you can scrub & squeeze filter pad with your hand until clean. Then just swish black bio sponge in same water & place both back into filter. Throw out old water & replace w/fresh treated water. This problem occurred if I over fed or there was a high bioload in tank. Hope this helps!

bitseriously
In tank water you can scrub & squeeze filter pad with your hand until clean.
OP, if you haven't done this before, or haven't done it properly, it's hard to understand how long you might have to do this before you see an improvement. When you're done, the water should be solid brown from the particles dislodged from the filter cartridge. It really takes a lot of manipulation (squeeze, pinch, roll, etc.) to get the job done. Also, be aware that some of your bacteria will be lost, so keep an eye on your parameters after this type of cleaning.
Another option is a carbon-ectomy. Removing the carbon from inside the fabric pouch will help to clear the whole thing out, and improve flow through afterwards. Carbon isn't really necessary, unless you have a smelly tank, or are trying to remove meds from the tank.
These are all reasons I stay away from cartridge style filters. Something like a simple Aquaclear 20 or 30 is a really great investment, and will allow you to clean and reuse all your media, and will perform better overall.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cichlid4life
Replies
Views
briangcc1997
Replies
Views
BamBamSorg
  • Question
Replies