Help! Filter Media!

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Bailey Oswald, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Bailey Oswald

Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Hi! I need help with a DIY filter media that I can put in my submerged filter. It is a tetra whisper filter. The reason i am asking this is because the "bio-bags" it comes with rip pretty easily and also have carbon in it, which I wish to get away from. Also, I thought I'd like to try it. I had put a new bag in a month (?) ago (kept cycled bag in too) and just took them out to rinse them in tank water to find that the new one had a huge rip. The old one has a small year I already knew about.
    The DIY media will be used with the blue thing in the pictures below.

I will use a cycled bag in conjunction with the new media until it is cycled.
    e1e55a067a33aa4a1048e267580a7390.jpg 2a372eec12dafd9e405c8bf01a5b4917.jpg 6e646a12b8dc6c77fc90cce9a99ed9e2.jpg 48cdfb20b2a7f24c4c30438e86234dd6.jpg

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

That rough thing is for beneficial bacteria, I think. You can use a combination of coarse sponge and floss in the pocket. Just cut to fit and adjust as necessary to suit your preferred output flow rate.

3. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

I believe it is for beneficial bacteria but I'm not sure.
    What do you mean by floss?

4. maggie thecat

Polyfill, like quilt batting. You can buy it at the pet store or go to a craft store and get enough to last you for ages for the same price.

5. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

I have a big bag of polyester fiberfill, is that good?
    For the sponge, are there any to stay away from/any you would recommend? 8cf811fb11b7d0cdc1f7ff7fcb9be995.jpg 068a4045558d6961921ede1ab9847549.jpg

6. maggie thecat

That's the stuff. Honestly? I buy which ever sponge is on the cheap. I cut down big sponges for small filters, and so on. I do stick to ones bought at the lfs, just because hardware store or other big box sourced sponges can be treated with chemicals.

7. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

I'll have to look for some sponges. Could I just stick in some fiberfill in with the rough thing and a cycled bag until i get a sponge?

8. maggie thecat

Sure. Absolutely.

9. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

Thank you!

10. maggie thecat

You're very welcome!

11. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

My brother has this "air filter" he said he'd sell me cheap. It's supposed to remove fumes. Would this help with filtration/be safe? c829422147beaf167925869b51954b58.jpg d33f1703bb437e4ee7e9a60abab2e880.jpg 458e4c82f96b350446cc94c396f1702e.jpg

12. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Filter floss is just a way to polish the water of impurities.

You could try buying a sponge like aquaclear which sells cheap. I think you could use pot scrubs.

13. maggie thecat

That looks like it would strain some things out of the water column, but ... IDK. I seems like the last roll of media I bought at the lfs cost between 5 and 8 dollars, and it was meant to be used in canister filters (I used it in HOBs. Don't tell on me.)

It's probably fine, but do you want to risk your fish on an unknown?

14. OP
    OP
    Bailey Oswald

No, I was just wondering.

15. F

Fish-whisper Valued Member Member

When you use air filter mat you really need to be sure it's not treated, air filter could be treated with mold-mildew preventive chemicals.

16. maggie thecat

That's a very good point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice