Help - Female gourami attacked by male

clayfg

Reaction score
My female gouramI has been attacked by her male, I noticed a white scratch on her front and I saw him chasing her. Is this their mating period? I put her temporarily in the breeder because I don't have a hospital tank. what can I do? For how long shall I leave her there? She is normally eating in the breeder. Here are some pics. thanks for your help

SHPEPoser

Reaction score
I haven't had anything like this happen. Sorry... But the only thing I can think of is... if it is a scratch you should keep her in the breeder for a day and add some stress coat to the tank. This has some stuff in it to help if a fish was hurt and it helps keep fish from getting stressed.

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is not meant to sound like I am doubting your ability or making fun, but are you sure it is a female. Most pet stores do not carry females because they have very little color. I have never seen a female Gourami, so I can't tell you for sure, but you may have 2 males and one will have to go back to the store.

OP
C

clayfg

Reaction score
Yes sure, it is a female, at the store they were in one thank mixed together, and infact the female is not coloured at all. The male was being sold for 80cents whilst the female for 20cents. (please note that this is Maltese Lira currency) Here are some pics of here and I'm pretty sure it's a female

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hmmm... sometimes labrynth fish are territorial because they need access to the surface for air. I am sorry that you are having so much trouble with yours. I would take one of them back, or make a tank divider. I home made a divider out of craft material-- see the DIY section I think there is an article there about how to make one.
good luck

SHPEPoser

Reaction score
GouramI might be like angels in the sense that they pair up. And if they don't pair, they don't like each other. I don't know if this true but it may be something to consider. Also GouramI should be kept in a trio. One male with 2 female. He may just be harassing the female. I would try getting another female. Once you get the other healed that is.

OP
C

clayfg

Reaction score
Aggressive male gouramI - HELP PLEASE

My female gouramI has been attacked by her male, I noticed a white scratch on her front and I saw him chasing her. Is this their mating period? I put her temporarily in the breeder because I don't have a hospital tank. Now she is much better and I was told to put the male gouramI in the breeder and leave the female in the main tank so as to serve him as a punishment for his aggressive behaviour. I also bought another female dwarf gourmI since I was also told that the male should have more than one female. I was planning to leave the male dwarf gouramI in the breeder for 2 weeks as I was told at the fish shop. He is normally eating in the breeder. Here are some pics of the injury the female had before recovering fully. What is the sign that a female is pregnant since I noticed quite a large bely on the new female dwarf gourmi. Thanks for your help

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
My experience with gouramis is that they are very territorial, and the dominant fish will terrorize the others until they die. I am not sure how this works with pairs though. They are related to bettas though, and the males and females may not be able to hang out together unless they are spawning. Not sure about that though.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If 2 female gouramI don't balance things out, you might have to put the male in another tank or divide the tank to separate them.

New Threads