HELP FEMALE BETTA ON LAST LEG

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have two bettas a male (Inari) and a female (Tenshi yes i know it means angel) My girlfriend and i went and got them for my b-day about a week ago. I don't know how big my tank is but i do know it probably isn't 5 or 10 gallons it isn't big enough for a filtrations system so i've been doing whole water changes every other day and partial every other. I got these two little beauties from Petco. Well today was another day to be a full water change. I had noticed that Inari was doing a lot of fin nipping on Tenshi and looked on the main site and discovered it was a breeding thing so I didn't think anything of it until it got really bad I mean originally he would only nip her once in a while then started chasing her around the tank so I decided it was time to separate these two. Well when I went to change the water I noticed that Tenshi had lost alot of her beautiful blue that was on her head. So i started looking into what it could be. I have no idea what it is because it really doesn't match any description on the website. The poor girl is now in quarentine so that whatever it is that is affecting her won't affect Inari. I can't have the both of them go that would just rip me apart inside. Anyway when i put her back in the tank with the divider, i noticed she went head first into the rocks. Curious i watched her thinking, "What in the world are you doing??" well as i watched she had difficulty getting her little head out of the rocks she finally squirmed free and went spirialling to the top. There she sat on a plastic plant that will eventually up root and float around annoying Inari, gulping for air as she swam off it i noticed she was having an impossible time righting herself she went upside down for about 10 seconds I've never seen either of these two wonders do that, so I immediately thought that she was all but dead. When she started swimming around again I realized that there was a slime hope for her survival.

With that long narrative said can anyone help PLEASE I beg you. I don't want to lose this beauty. Any suggestions.

Thanks a ton,

brent

PS feel free to e-mail me at: goku48180@yahoo.com in the subject line please mention dyeing Betta

thanks again

brent

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i have found out what i did wrong tiny tank, few if any places to hide and well a male who wasn't too happy with her being there. I'm dumb for that i know feel free to abuse me about it. But please any advice would be wonderful

thanx

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
The important thing is that we learn from our mistakes. I dont like to say always and never often but never put a male betta with a female betta, and never put a male betta with a male betta. It will only cause severe damage or death to one of the parties. Female bettas can be kept together with enough hiding places, room, and with good temperaments (bettas can have different personalities).

I honestly dont know what the going down and coming up thing is. Possibly a swimbladder problem.

Wait for Rose to give her two cents. She is very good with bettas and she knows her stuff. I'm sure she will be able to help you.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Brent -

Bad news I am afraid.  First of all, a male and a female Betta cannot be housed in the same tank Except for mating times and that is only for a few hours After they have been prepared to breed.  Bettas do not breed by just putting them together and saying "OKay there you are"  It is a complicated process of special foods and seperation and allowing the male to prepare a Bubblenest and a whole lot of things.  Then you always have to have a place for the female to escape the male or he will injure her or perhaps even kill her. 

You say the tank is not filtered.  If Tenshi is injured, she is going to have to be kept in a very clean and well cared for place with NO male around to disturb her.  I am not going to abuse anyone but you must do these things if you have any chance of keeping either of them.  Water changes may keep you ahead okay on a tank for a while if the fish are healthy to begin with.  with a sick or injured fish, you need a filter or at least a seperate bowl or something and an airstone.  (no gravel it just makes it harder to clean) 

I think the water changes are going to have to be frequent and GENTLE and with as little disruption of her as possible. 

Also I need to know what and how much you are feeding them.  If she is having a swimbladder problem, one of the major causes of this in Bettas is constipation and OVERFEEDING.  I am going to attach a link here for a bunch of information about Bettas that was prepared for the Front page of this section of the forum.  There are some things in this that you may get some help from. 

Quarantine and cleanliness and gentleness is all that I can recommend.  The only other thing is if you are feeding more than the recommended amounts to them, they are probably constipated and need to be treated for that.  New Betta owners fall for the "I'm starving" look everytime.  It is serious, we have to be responsible to see that they are not going to be so spoiled that they eat themselves to death. 

Try reading this article and try the treatment for constipation.  Even if she is not constipated, and there is more wrong, it will not hurt either of them to be cleaned out and then if the meals they have been receiving are too big please do skip a day of feeding them. and give them the recommended amount only from then on.  Don't beat yourself up if you have been overfeeding, we alll do in the beginning.  It is just too hard to say no until you realize that you are doing it for their own good.

Let us know how she is doing and I will try to find some more information for you so please check back.  Welcome to Fishlore.com.  I wish we had been able to meet under better circumstances.  This is a good site and full of information from people who have kept fish successfully for a while.  Others have been in your situation and while it is hard to see our little friends feeling not well, we will try to do what we can to see that Tenshi is given the best of advice we can give.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yes I have fallen for the look of "I'm famished feed me" and I have stoped that however I will do the treatment for constipation on both Tenshi and Inari just in case since u said that there is no harm in it. i and feeding them Hikari Betta Bio-gold pellets
and when thos run out i have BettaMin Tropical Bedly from tetra idk how good they are but it was what i could find at the time. I read the stressed fish thread and it helped me alot I have been changing her water very frequently and she has regained some of her former glory she was at one point almost white. She is much more active and I have her sitting in the quarentine tank right where she can see Inari when she sees him she seems to be partly happy atleast. She is swiming around slowly but she is doing ok right now. Inari was another issue when i took Tenshi out of the tank (I had a divider up so that he could no harm her) he started to show signs of being sick as well so I cleaned the tank again and I set him and Tenshi next to each other and they are both doing better now. I have speant the entire day with these two poor souls and I'm glad i did. I was completely stupid for thinking that i could just throw these two in a tiny tank and they would make kids *right like that really happens* completely stupid on my part. I"m getting a decent size tank for one of them if it comes with a divider then i might put them both in but I would like ur opionion before i go and drop another $30+ on these two. My question is:

Is a 5 gallon filtered heated tank big enough to support two Bettas? If so can u give me names of good filters and heaters. actually either way could u give me names of quality filters and heaters. And how to take care of the gravel mine is really starting to reak I have been rinsing it out in the fish net with scalding hot water and that hasn't really helped.

Thank you for not abusing me(though i probably deserve it for not doing all the research i should have) and also ur support

Brent

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
also I forgot to mention this, I've been using a filtered tap water that they well live in or the lack there of, I was wondering if this may have anything to do with Tenshi's illness (besides parhaps over feeding) or if it is just a myth. I went out and bought some steam distilled water hoping that this would help at least a tiny bit and it seems to have helped more than i thought maybe i'm just going nuts because of this. just wondering. any help is always appreciated.

on the not with my helping the a cure...I went to Petco (this is where i bought Tenshi and Inari), i told one of the reps my problem and he pointed me to a $22 bottle of conditioner should i invest in this or would it just be a waste of my money, like fish flakes?

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank so u so much u don't know how much u've helped me out just in your other posts.

brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you are not treating your water for dechlorinating it then that may be part of the problem. But it shouldn;t cost any $22. Get some StressCoat or Amquel+Plus water conditioner. 1 teaspoon treats 10 gallons of water and so the smallest bottle will last a while. (shouldn't be more than $6) Also please do not use distilled water in the tank as the fish need some of the things found in water that the distilling process takes out.

Hang in there.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok well I will continue to use tap water and just get some water treatment. I have extremely hard water where I am currently living that is why I was wondering if i should use distilled. I appreciate ur patients with me alot. also I know i asked this last time but maybe you missed or i didn't ask it at all. What is the best way to clean the gravel until i can get filter for my babies(Tenshi and Inari). And what brand should i get for filters and heaters for them when i get them each their own 5 gallon or can they live in the 5 gal with a divider? Oh and what is the best kind of plants to get, live or plastic? wow that is alot of questions for one post sorry thanx a ton for your help

brent

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
modifcation of my last post...Instead of using pure tap water or pure distilled water is it ok to mix the two since I have such hard water? and how much of each would u mix if so into a tank just to reduce the amount of chlorine in the water?

Just a random Idea

brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The least expensive way to go is to buy a tank set-up with its own filter, tank and light in a kit.  Marineland has the Eclipse models that I am familiar with and they are probably right now the most cost-wise economic.  Then all you would have to do is add a heater.  Visi-Therm heaters are great and come with a lifefime warranty so they are replaced if they go bad.  If you get one of these heaters be sure to keep the UPC code and sales receipt when you buy them and put them somewhere safe to use as proofs-of-purchase if something goes wrong.  I have them in all my tanks and have never had a problem.  The only heater I had a problem with was an All Glass heater.

Distilled water will not take care of the chlorine in the water by itself! Please still plan on using water conditioner. You can use up to 30% distilled water, but you cannot have harder water than I do. My GH and KH are both off the charts and I do not water down the tap water for the hardness and my fish are fine. In fact I am grateful because I have Snails and it keeps their shells hard.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't know how hard my water is but i do know there is more iron in the water than i have ever seen anywhere. But thank for the comment from your own experience I will look into those tanks and heater hopefully i can get them here soon. Anyway thank you Tenshi is looking loads better i know whe isn't out of the clear yet but you have been a wonderful help. BTW while i was at Petco I stubbled accross a conditioner to to treat fin rot,mouth fungus, ulcers, and wounds do u think it will help Tenshi any? I was wondering because her tail is ripped apart it is growing back ok right now and this says it promotes rapid fin regrowth. I didn't think it could hurt what is ur opionion. Also I have a hard time keeping the water warm in my room because the tank is so small besides a heater any suggestions?

Thanx a lot

brent

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ok well good news Tenshi is doing better however **** at me 'cause i'm not falling for the I'm hungary look. but I came back from dinner i was looking over the two and something spooked Inari, not that its hard, my roommate moves and poor Inari gets scared anyway. I darted across his lack of a tank and i saw peices of his tail fall off like spines almost it what it looked like. I don't know what to do to help him I'm trying to get him to eat some peas 'cause i think he maybe constipated but what is up with his tail falling apart its not like he's a bird :'( he's really beautiful but i don't know what to do this is the first i've seen this can you help me?

brent

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
dang i would lose my head if it wasn't attached to my shoulders right now I also probably should describe his tank. I think it only about 1 gallon I'm not positive what the volume is he has about 2"-3" of gravel. *I don't know is that too much* and there is a plastic plant for him to hid behind or sleep on whatever he wants. are any of these things causing his tail to fall out. he is a crowntail if that helps any

sorry i keep forgetting things

brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It sounds like he has Finrot. That is a cool water disease and will be aggravated by the lack of filtration in your tank. This is a serious condition that can be life threatening. There are medications to be used for it but the really important thing is to get him (and her) into a heated and filtered tank. I do not know what to tell you about cycling unless you can get some Bio-spira. Since I don't know where you live or if you have access to it, I don't know what to tell you. You can order it online but it is fairly expensive $18.95 plus shipping and handling which is expensive because it needs to be kept cold so it has to be shipped 2nd day.

You need to get some MELAFIX and use it according to the directions on the bottle. The only thing is I do not know how it will ever work with you doing water changes every day. And yet, if you don't do the water changes the fish will die. I am really stumped.

I am so sorry he is ill. I am glad to hear that Tenshi is doing better.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ok so if it is fin rot any idea how to atleast get the poor guy to eat he refuses his veggies but tenshi loves them anyway is there some way that i can get him some nurishment so that he can have a better chance since he is not eating :-(

brent

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom