Help fast!

OP
MatthewM

MatthewM

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bluestreakfl said:
That's ultimately up to you. Ive only ever dealt with Dropsy once, it had taken one of my guppies. He hung in there for a few days and seemed "ok" , but finally I got home one day and he had just passed. Just provide the cleanest water you can, and like I said if he won't eat the peas try the epsom salt dip and see if maybe hes just really constipated. Losing that guppy was the wakeup call for me to include veggies and plant matter in my fishes diets more often, as well as fasting one or two feedings a week(I normally feed twice daily). I really think it helps not just digestive, but overall health.
If one got it, should I be concerned that something isn't right in my water? My tests came back pretty good today. I read it isn't contagious, but if one seemingly healthy fish got it, can't more get it?

Bijou88 said:
If it does turn out to be dropsy it's not contagious so it's really your choice. I'm sorry your gouramI isn't doing well, that's always hard I've had good luck the one time I had to do an Epsom salt bath and my fish recovered. I just dissolved 2 tsp salt in 1 gallon water and put her in there for about 20 minutes. She was pretty unhappy with me once she was back in her tank but it did help her immensely. Good luck to you, fingers crossed it's not dropsy.
I feel bad for my other gouramI I don't know the sexes, but they were besties for sure. Even now that the one is quarantined in the net, the other keeps trying to get to it. Before it was in the net it was always nudging it along trying to get it to move. If it dies idk what I'm gonna do.

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Generally no, if your other fish are healthy you shouldnt have much to worry about. If he for some reason doesn't make it, just make sure you do a good sized water change aftwerwards to freshen the water. However, lets hope we caught in in time and he can pull through. If he will eat the peas, you can also add some garlic juice to them to boost the immune system.

OP
MatthewM

MatthewM

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BornThisWayBettas said:
Did you try hand feeding? Or using garlic to wet his appetite?
He freaks out if I put my hand near him so I don't think it is an option, garlic? How do I do that?

Looking at it from above, the pineconing is very distinct now.

alink

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had a similar situation with my neon dwarf gourami. I just skipped feeding for a couple days. Idk if it was dropsy or constipation but the fish body was super swollen...

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

OP
MatthewM

MatthewM

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The fish ate the pea. But the scales are even more pineconed now...

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Have you tried the epsom salt dip yet? Its a laxative so if hes blocked up and the pea isn't working, he might need something to ease everything out of his digestive tract.

OP
MatthewM

MatthewM

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bluestreakfl said:
Have you tried the epsom salt dip yet? Its a laxative so if hes blocked up and the pea isn't working, he might need something to ease everything out of his digestive tract.
Where do I get epsom salts?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If it's not a fish-special kind of epsom salt, you can get them at Walmart or stores like that.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Pharmacy, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just plain ol epsom salt. All of the places Dom90 mentioned should carry it, as well as any grocery store really, its been used for all sorts of things for ages.

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just make sure you get one without perfumes or anything. At grocery stores is usually in with the vitamins/first aid etc.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom