Help fast!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MatthewM, Jul 14, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewMValued MemberMember

My thick lip gourami that was floating at the too is like a balloon now! Literally one hour and this happened!!!! How do i save it?!?!?! ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436925566.121433.jpg

2. Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Eatfishhuntrepeat8New MemberMember

Do you see any fungus or film on the fish.? Are his scales popping outwards? When is the last time you tested your water?

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Looks like it might be a swim bladder issue. I would try feeding a pea. :) Best of luck, and I agree with the above poster.

4. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

The fish shows no signs of fungus or anything, as for the scales i cant tell as it is in a back corner that i cant see into. I haven't tested for about a week but i will right now.

How do i feed a pea and make sure he gets it? He won't leave the top.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2015
  5. Eatfishhuntrepeat8

As said before, try a crushed pea, he could just be constipated and peas help the flow.

Take a boiled pea and cut into smaller bits and feed it to him like normal food.

6. BornThisWayBettas

I'm not exactly sure how to feed peas, but I did this once with my guppy and I just soaked a frozen pea in a bowl of warm water for a while and then fed it to him. I think I peeled it before feeding. Make sure there's nothing funky in the peas before feeding! Might ask someone else how to feed peas, though, or look it up, as I'm obviously no expert! ;)

7. Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Exactly, this is what I do, or if I'm rushed I put it in the microwave and "crumble them" with out the outside shell. I had to do this for one of bettas often a couple years back.

8. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Upon closer inspection, fins are a tad ragged and the scales are just a tiny bit out.

9. BornThisWayBettas

Like it's been said, I'd highly recommend feeding the pea, definitely might help.

10. Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Protruding scales is a sine of dropsy, excess fluid in the abdomen caused by an infection most likely. Fish infected are not likely to survive but I hope for the best, check out this, it might help:  

11. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Ph- 7.4
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 10-20

12. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

put a few peas in a small microwave safe dish with some water in it. Put it in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until the water is hot and steaming. Then, when its cooled enough to handle, remove the peas from the water and pinch them. The inside of the pea will pop out so have something to catch it, a plate would work. When you have done this with all the peas, I like to add some of the normal fish flake food. It helps to get the pea mush to stick together. Then when you got them all mixed up and balled up in a glob, you can just break off a small piece and hold it between your fingers and try to hand feed it to the gourami. Most gouramis will easily take this directly from you. If yours wont, try a tweezers or eye dropper that has been sterilized.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the leftovers can be saved in the refrigerator for several days in a sealed bag or container.

13. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

The fish won't let me get anywhere near it. So i'll try and get a net n the tank to section it off. I know the other fish will steal it if i just put it in there

14. alink

Be careful to net the fish from below to minimize the stress on it. It may jump to try to escape to be ready for if it happens.. if you get it in a net, put a piece of the pea in the net with it and close the lid so it cant jump out of the tank. Then you can see if it eats it.. almost like a mini QT.

15. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

Got it in the net. It won't even look at the pea.

I think my skirt tetras are jealous lol. They are trying to eat the pea, through the net.

16. alink

I would leave it in over night, turn your light off, if its not already. See how its doing in the morning.

17. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

The best way to identify the dropsy scale trait is by looking at the fish from directly above under strong lights, you can see how much the scales are actually pineconing. Another suggestion if its constipation and he wont eat the pea, is an Epsom (not aquarium) Salt dip. When I did this, I took about 1/4 teaspoon of epsom salts dissolved into a cup of tank water, had the fish in a small tupperware container with tank water, gradually added the epsom salt water over 5 mins, let the fish sit for about 20 minutes. This works as a laxative, and is generally safe.

18. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

If it does turn out to be dropsy, just leave the fish? I see the survival rate is extremely low...

19. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Thats ultimately up to you. Ive only ever dealt with Dropsy once, it had taken one of my guppies. He hung in there for a few days and seemed "ok" , but finally I got home one day and he had just passed. Just provide the cleanest water you can, and like I said if he wont eat the peas try the epsom salt dip and see if maybe hes just really constipated. Losing that guppy was the wakeup call for me to include veggies and plant matter in my fishes diets more often, as well as fasting one or two feedings a week(I normally feed twice daily). I really think it helps not just digestive, but overall health.

20. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

If it does turn out to be dropsy it's not contagious so it's really your choice. I'm sorry your gourami isn't doing well, that's always hard :( I've had good luck the one time I had to do an Epsom salt bath and my fish recovered. I just dissolved 2 tsp salt in 1g water and put her in there for about 20 minutes. She was pretty unhappy with me once she was back in her tank but it did help her immensely. Good luck to you, fingers crossed it's not dropsy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice