Help fast!

• Thread starter MatthewM
  • Start date

MatthewM

My thick lip gouramI that was floating at the too is like a balloon now! Literally one hour and this happened!!!! How do I save it?!?!?! ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436925566.121433.jpg

Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Do you see any fungus or film on the fish.? Are his scales popping outwards? When is the last time you tested your water?

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Looks like it might be a swim bladder issue. I would try feeding a pea. Best of luck, and I agree with the above poster.

MatthewM

Eatfishhuntrepeat8 said:
Do you see any fungus or film on the fish.? Are his scales popping outwards? When is the last time you tested your water?
The fish shows no signs of fungus or anything, as for the scales I can't tell as it is in a back corner that I can't see into. I haven't tested for about a week but I will right now.

BornThisWayBettas said:
Looks like it might be a swim bladder issue. I would try feeding a pea. Best of luck, and I agree with the above poster.
How do I feed a pea and make sure he gets it? He won't leave the top.

Eatfishhuntrepeat8

As said before, try a crushed pea, he could just be constipated and peas help the flow.

Take a boiled pea and cut into smaller bits and feed it to him like normal food.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
I'm not exactly sure how to feed peas, but I did this once with my guppy and I just soaked a frozen pea in a bowl of warm water for a while and then fed it to him. I think I peeled it before feeding. Make sure there's nothing funky in the peas before feeding! Might ask someone else how to feed peas, though, or look it up, as I'm obviously no expert!

Eatfishhuntrepeat8

BornThisWayBettas said:
I'm not exactly sure how to feed peas, but I did this once with my guppy and I just soaked a frozen pea in a bowl of warm water for a while and then fed it to him. I think I peeled it before feeding. Make sure there's nothing funky in the peas before feeding! Might ask someone else how to feed peas, though, or look it up, as I'm obviously no expert!
Exactly, this is what I do, or if I'm rushed I put it in the microwave and "crumble them" with out the outside shell. I had to do this for one of bettas often a couple years back.

MatthewM

Upon closer inspection, fins are a tad ragged and the scales are just a tiny bit out.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Like it's been said, I'd highly recommend feeding the pea, definitely might help.

Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Protruding scales is a sine of dropsy, excess fluid in the abdomen caused by an infection most likely. Fish infected are not likely to survive but I hope for the best, check out this, it might help:

MatthewM

alink

Well Known
put a few peas in a small microwave safe dish with some water in it. Put it in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until the water is hot and steaming. Then, when its cooled enough to handle, remove the peas from the water and pinch them. The inside of the pea will pop out so have something to catch it, a plate would work. When you have done this with all the peas, I like to add some of the normal fish flake food. It helps to get the pea mush to stick together. Then when you got them all mixed up and balled up in a glob, you can just break off a small piece and hold it between your fingers and try to hand feed it to the gourami. Most gouramis will easily take this directly from you. If yours wont, try a tweezers or eye dropper that has been sterilized.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the leftovers can be saved in the refrigerator for several days in a sealed bag or container.

MatthewM

The fish won't let me get anywhere near it. So I'll try and get a net n the tank to section it off. I know the other fish will steal it if I just put it in there

alink

Well Known
Be careful to net the fish from below to minimize the stress on it. It may jump to try to escape to be ready for if it happens.. if you get it in a net, put a piece of the pea in the net with it and close the lid so it can't jump out of the tank. Then you can see if it eats it.. almost like a minI QT.

MatthewM

Got it in the net. It won't even look at the pea.

I think my skirt tetras are jealous lol. They are trying to eat the pea, through the net.

alink

Well Known
I would leave it in over night, turn your light off, if its not already. See how its doing in the morning.

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
The best way to identify the dropsy scale trait is by looking at the fish from directly above under strong lights, you can see how much the scales are actually pineconing. Another suggestion if its constipation and he won't eat the pea, is an Epsom (not aquarium) Salt dip. When I did this, I took about 1/4 teaspoon of epsom salts dissolved into a cup of tank water, had the fish in a small tupperware container with tank water, gradually added the epsom salt water over 5 mins, let the fish sit for about 20 minutes. This works as a laxative, and is generally safe.

MatthewM

Bluestreakfl said:
The best way to identify the dropsy scale trait is by looking at the fish from directly above under strong lights, you can see how much the scales are actually pineconing. Another suggestion if its constipation and he won't eat the pea, is an Epsom (not aquarium) Salt dip. When I did this, I took about 1/4 teaspoon of epsom salts dissolved into a cup of tank water, had the fish in a small tupperware container with tank water, gradually added the epsom salt water over 5 mins, let the fish sit for about 20 minutes. This works as a laxative, and is generally safe.
If it does turn out to be dropsy, just leave the fish? I see the survival rate is extremely low...

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
That's ultimately up to you. Ive only ever dealt with Dropsy once, it had taken one of my guppies. He hung in there for a few days and seemed "ok" , but finally I got home one day and he had just passed. Just provide the cleanest water you can, and like I said if he won't eat the peas try the epsom salt dip and see if maybe hes just really constipated. Losing that guppy was the wakeup call for me to include veggies and plant matter in my fishes diets more often, as well as fasting one or two feedings a week(I normally feed twice daily). I really think it helps not just digestive, but overall health.

Bijou88

Well Known
If it does turn out to be dropsy it's not contagious so it's really your choice. I'm sorry your gouramI isn't doing well, that's always hard I've had good luck the one time I had to do an Epsom salt bath and my fish recovered. I just dissolved 2 tsp salt in 1 gallon water and put her in there for about 20 minutes. She was pretty unhappy with me once she was back in her tank but it did help her immensely. Good luck to you, fingers crossed it's not dropsy.

MatthewM

Bluestreakfl said:
That's ultimately up to you. Ive only ever dealt with Dropsy once, it had taken one of my guppies. He hung in there for a few days and seemed "ok" , but finally I got home one day and he had just passed. Just provide the cleanest water you can, and like I said if he won't eat the peas try the epsom salt dip and see if maybe hes just really constipated. Losing that guppy was the wakeup call for me to include veggies and plant matter in my fishes diets more often, as well as fasting one or two feedings a week(I normally feed twice daily). I really think it helps not just digestive, but overall health.
If one got it, should I be concerned that something isn't right in my water? My tests came back pretty good today. I read it isn't contagious, but if one seemingly healthy fish got it, can't more get it?

Bijou88 said:
If it does turn out to be dropsy it's not contagious so it's really your choice. I'm sorry your gouramI isn't doing well, that's always hard I've had good luck the one time I had to do an Epsom salt bath and my fish recovered. I just dissolved 2 tsp salt in 1 gallon water and put her in there for about 20 minutes. She was pretty unhappy with me once she was back in her tank but it did help her immensely. Good luck to you, fingers crossed it's not dropsy.
I feel bad for my other gouramI I don't know the sexes, but they were besties for sure. Even now that the one is quarantined in the net, the other keeps trying to get to it. Before it was in the net it was always nudging it along trying to get it to move. If it dies idk what I'm gonna do.

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
Generally no, if your other fish are healthy you shouldnt have much to worry about. If he for some reason doesn't make it, just make sure you do a good sized water change aftwerwards to freshen the water. However, lets hope we caught in in time and he can pull through. If he will eat the peas, you can also add some garlic juice to them to boost the immune system.

MatthewM

Come morning, no pea eaten.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Did you try hand feeding? Or using garlic to wet his appetite?

MatthewM

BornThisWayBettas said:
Did you try hand feeding? Or using garlic to wet his appetite?
He freaks out if I put my hand near him so I don't think it is an option, garlic? How do I do that?

Looking at it from above, the pineconing is very distinct now.

alink

Well Known
I had a similar situation with my neon dwarf gourami. I just skipped feeding for a couple days. Idk if it was dropsy or constipation but the fish body was super swollen...

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

MatthewM

The fish ate the pea. But the scales are even more pineconed now...

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
Have you tried the epsom salt dip yet? Its a laxative so if hes blocked up and the pea isn't working, he might need something to ease everything out of his digestive tract.

MatthewM

Bluestreakfl said:
Have you tried the epsom salt dip yet? Its a laxative so if hes blocked up and the pea isn't working, he might need something to ease everything out of his digestive tract.
Where do I get epsom salts?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
If it's not a fish-special kind of epsom salt, you can get them at Walmart or stores like that.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Pharmacy, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
Just plain ol epsom salt. All of the places Dom90 mentioned should carry it, as well as any grocery store really, its been used for all sorts of things for ages.

Bijou88

Well Known
Just make sure you get one without perfumes or anything. At grocery stores is usually in with the vitamins/first aid etc.

octopanda

Well Known
I hope your gouramI pulls through

Top Bottom