Help! Erythromycin killed off good bacteria

gr8tful1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 30 gallon tank. HAD 7 Harlequins, 8 Ember Tetras, 7 Dwarf corys, 7 Cardinals. Have lost 4 of the corys now.

History...one of the corys had what the LFS said was a wound from a newly added Cockatoo Cichlid. We were also missing 3 Ember tetras shortly after he arrived. We returned him to the store. He died later that day...so sad!

LFS said to treat entire tank with erythromycin. Did first dose on Friday. No problems. Did 30% water change on Saturday. Still no problems. Did second dose today around 2pm. Came home tonight at 8pm to 4 dead fish and the rest looking poorly. Checked the water...10ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates.

Did a 50% water change and ammonia is back to 0.

I have never done a fish-in cycle and don't want to! But, it appears that I have to. How can I best support the fish? Do I do the third and final dose of erythromycin? I am not sure if one of the dead ones was the original sick one.

Really stressing about this. HATE losing fish.

Jupiter Jack

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would buy a bottle of prime. It detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24-48 hrs. I would continue doing large water changes and use prime daily. Hopefuly some more experienced members can chime in with more advice. It sounds like the meds did kill off all the BB. I don't know if you should do another dose of the meds, if your fish did have an illness it may be needed.

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do 50% water changes daily dosing with prime if you need to continue medicine otherwise use Tetra Safe Start 24 hours after using prime, or if you can get Stability you can do water changes add prime to the new water and still do your daily does of Stability ( which is a 7 day treatment, done with water changes or used monthly) but I find once the first month is up I haven't had to redoes I do add a does to help the bacteria if I add new fish

gr8tful1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The sick Cory is still in there. His white spot seems smaller.

Do I do both Safe Start and erythromycin? Do I do next dose of E on Tuesday as planned, or sooner, since I had to change so much water today only 6 hours after I dosed it?

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would dose with prime daily and do 50% water changes daily. You don't do a water change with TSS but you can do with water changes with Stability though you do it every other day. however since you still require to do medicine I would hold off on the Bottled bacteria and do water changes every day 50-60% and double the dose of prime until you are finished medicating, theres no point using the BB if the meds are going to kill it

Ohiotank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah no TSS if your still dosing meds

Sent from my XT1254 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

gr8tful1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay. So wait until Tuesday to do next dose of E? Supposed to be every other day. But, ended up talking so much water out today after the treatment.

gr8tful1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all the help! All are still alive this morning and there is 0 ammonia, just over 0 nitrites. So, maybe it will cycle quickly. One final question...for the final dose of erithroymcin, should I put the affected dwarf cory into a spare, uncycled tank for a day when I do the treatment?

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is what he has able to infect the entire tank, if so no keep him in the tank that he's in, if its something that isn't highly contagious and the other fish have not shown symptoms and its not something like ICH that can live in the water then treating him in an uncycled tank may be fine but will require constant monitoring due to ammonia, and nitrite levels (most hospital tanks even if cycled before fish goes in loose bacteria if the medicine kills bacteria, so I see no difference between a cycled hospital and an uncycled hospital, but it depends what your treating for, ICH affects the whole tank so removing the fish wouldn't solve the issue

gr8tful1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
None of the others show any signs. I think it is a wound from the cichlid. The main tank is now uncycled too. He may be less stressed there but I think the next dose of E will kill off everything again

Sarcasm Included

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am sorry for your loss but there are some inconsistencies with this. First,
Checked the water...10ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates.

Did a 50% water change and ammonia is back to 0.
A 50% water change will never bring ammonia to 0ppm from 10ppm, it would read 5 ppm and still be very toxic to your fish. A 75% water change would still have left you with 2.5ppm ammonia, You get how this works yet?

What is the ailment you are treating for with erythromycin? From the vague description you are giving, a white spot over a previous wound, is either fungus or a bacteria infection. The bacteria infection, it might help, but fungus it will do nothing for. Erythromycin is most effective for fin rot and a couple other cases but for the most part ineffective.

Of all the lessons you learn through this, every problem is an opportunity to learn something, you learn the value of a hospital tank. Not to mention you get a little unwanted experience in what to do when the @#$ hits the fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

gr8tful1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Perhaps I am reading the scale wrong. It

Sorry...it was on the second line of the api master kit ammonia scale. Slightly green. After the wc it was on the first...yellow...o.

The LFS thought it was a wound that got infected from the pictures and description. They told me to do the erythromycin. They also told me to do whole tank. They are respected, do tank maintenance for businesses so I trusted them.

The spot is better, smaller. So now not sure if I should do final dose. If the e is not effective on this kind of thing, maybe it is getting better on its own.

Yes, I am getting it. As a newbie, I am trying my best to get it. Patience is helpful

I was not purposely vague. I had another thread about the spot and also consulted the LFS. I apologize. I am sure it gets tedious explaining things to newbies but we are trying to learn.

Also, I had a hospital tank ready to go. But I put that filter in the main tank to help get it cycled quicker

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarcasm Included

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The second line is not toxic to most fish, which is a good thing. Clean water and minimal stress can do wonders for a fishes health, but I would say that the erythromycin is likely helping to some degree. You should always try to complete all antibiotic treatments as directed, failing to dk so can make resistant strains. You tank should bounce back quickly as it doesn't usually destroy the bacteria colony. Newbie is a deragatoy term, you just inexperienced and I wouldn't be here if I didn't like helping out. That is all for now, my phone is old and annoying the out of me.

gr8tful1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks. Guess I am a little defensive after a tough couple of days and took some of the things written in the wrong way.

The LFS said to complete 3 treatments. The package says to do 4. Not sure what to do...

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd follow the instructions on the packet or the treatment may not be completed properly.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom