Help: Eheim 2028

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a brand new Eheim professional II 2028 canister filter for my 75 gallon tank. I got it at a great price on eBay. As some of you may know, I'm a huge Eheim fan... I've had three of the classic canisters for almost a decade now. Eheim is definitely a great brand!

Anyway, I do have a couple of concerns. I've been doing research online and have read a few people's horror stories with these particular filters... The issue is that when the power goes out, the siphon breaks and the filter gushes water through one small seal near the priming button. It was apparently a defective part, and Eheim was replacing them for people.

I'm now scared to even set this thing up. We don't loose power that often but it still worries me.

Does anyone here have experience with the pro II line of filters from Eheim? Did you ever have any of these priming and leaking issues? If so, please do share. I'd really appreciate it!

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi I have two of the professional II. One leaked during a power outage-slight but enough to alarm me-I solved it by sitting it in a tub. However, I may just not have had it seated well as this has not happened since that one time. I turn off the power when I do a 50% water change and it still has not done anymore leaking.
However, I do not trust it not to happen again and so I have a couple of tubs-one under each one just in case.
This is not a big deal as it is housed inside the stand so I don't have to see it.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Claire!

When yours leaked, did it leak from the main seal (where the canister bottom meets the top) or from the place where the hoses go into the filter?

I'll definitely keep it in a tub or bucket. I also think I'm going to keep replacement gaskets and o rings on hand just in case.

ricmcc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I second Claire of this rather strongly, as I do in most issues involving a flirt with Claire through a 3rd party (only kidding there, all moderators or censors, or me wife, for that matter, better yet, sorry Claire,, I just feel spring in the air after hearing that my 12 year old wishes a nice stroller for her 13th Birthday, (kidding) (I am hoping) but we have had at least 4 feet of snow constantly on our deck this winter, meaning almost daily blackouts of 5-10 minutes (that bit pertains to the filter; the other, just chat ).
I have the same filter as you have, and mine has yet to fail me-it obviously doesn't run without electricity, but neither does it lose prime or leak.
As with any canister filter, to avoid losing the vacuum and therefore prime, made sure that your O-rings are properly lubed and seated. Anyway, that is what I have found.
Of all filters that I have owned, Eheims are the ones that I tend to forget, as they just continue to work, never doing anything dramatic, like breaking down. I would say the same of AquaClear, but we are on about canister filters.----rick

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It was the main seal so I am fairly certain that I just didn't have it seated well. And Rick, get out of your cabin! LOL!

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Haha you guys

Thanks for the help. I feel a little less paranoid about setting it up now! Also, I haven't received the package yet, it's supposed to be delivered today. Does it come with the green or gray intake and spraybar set? Just curious

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Green is what I have!

Harlebleondora

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Green for me as well.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Harlebleondora said:
Green for me as well.
Do you have a classic or Professional II? I know the classics come with green tubing as I have three of them. I was just curious about the Professional models because I've seen some of the boxes and pictures show grey tubes instead of green and I would honestly prefer the grey... they're easier to hide!

Harlebleondora

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh sorry, I have a classic.

Grey tubing would look nicer but the green is actually blending in with my plants.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom