HELP!!! Egg bound females!!!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Bisc, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Bisc

BiscValued MemberMember

both of my females are swollen beyond what I thought was possible with eggs, and I need to get them to expell the eggs.

I tried a mirror, and that didn't work, and seeing the males isn't causing them to expell their eggs either. I'm not sure what to do here, but it needs to happen ASAP.

If I have to, I'll put them with my male, Mufasa. He has a bubblenest ready and has been dancing for the girls, so it's prolly the best choice of males, but I don't wanna risk injury to my fish....UGGG, HELP!!!

2. Betta Whisperer

Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

Are you sure they aren't just constipated? How do you know for sure that they are egg bound? If they are egg bound they will reabsorb them. I think that's what MM told me. Maybe she'll see this thread and give you an answer.

3. OP
    OP
    Bisc

BiscValued MemberMember

I know constipated, trust me, they're egg bound

4. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

*sigh* Ok....I'll explain. The two females are both loaded with eggs. They are white so its easy to see the eggs in them. I've had my female Taila get egg bound before and they look exactly the same. I suggest holding up a mirror to get them excitted because that could help get them out. Then the only other think I know to do is to put them with a male and let him squeeze them out. Does anyone know what to do other then that?

5. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Cut down on feedings and hope MM sees this? <Shrug>
    decreasing what they get feed should encourage them to resorb the eggs. It's not a problem that I've run into yet but I'm setting the best out to you and your girls :(

6. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

+2 red! Usually cutting back the food helps a lot.. The 2 that I have that are eggbound and not in spawn tanks are on a 48 hour fast right now... I have also had luck floating the female in a cup with a lid in the males tank.. Sometimes being so close has caused them to drop a large part of their eggs without ever being released into the same tank with the male..

7. cajunfiberco

cajunfibercoWell Known MemberMember

I need to remember these suggestions, I am terrified mine will get this way...

8. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning.

Sorry to hear that your girl is egg bound. Try doing a Fish Lore search for Egg Bound Bettas. There are a few threads there.

From what I've read the best thing you can do is keep her water pristine with water changes and keep her water nice and warm. I saw a suggestion to place the female tank close to a male tank so they can see each other. I see that you floated the female in the males tank so that may not be of much help.

If she does start to release her eggs alone, chances are they'll be eaten. I'm sending a private message to MartinsMommy so that she sees this thread.

Best wishes and please keep us posted.
    Ken

(Private message sent)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  9. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

i'm just wondering what causes a female to become egg bound in the first place? i have a female, do i need to worry about this ever happening? :confused:

10. Betta Whisperer

Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

MM's computer is in the shop being worked on right now. She is using a laptop until it's done so I'm not sure it she's getting any emails. We'll see.

11. Martinismommy

MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

On the laptop to the rescue! Females don't usually get eggbound unless they are in plain sight of a male......The only thing you can really do at this point if she truly IS eggbound is do 100% water change and set her inside a males tank (in her own cup of course)

Do you have a photo of her to share?

12. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

... So having my breeder female's container between my two male containers isn't a good idea then... <whoops>

13. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Hey everyone, thanks for all the replys. I went over to drop off a few things at Bisc's house today. The females look fine IMO. I double checked them over, either they reabsorbed them....or they popped out and are burried in the sand. Either way they are looking much better. Thanks again guys. Like always you all are the best!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice