Help! Dying fish

StaceyMae

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 20 gallon high that I kept my betta in along with 4 red cherry shrimp and one kuhlI loach. I now know you're supposed to keep the loaches in groups, so I plan to get more soon since I'm switching to a 20 long. Anyway, the tank is doing great, both the live plants and the fish/shrimp. I've triple checked and my parameters are all stable and perfect for my tropical fish. The tank is heated to 79 degrees, 7.0 pH, and has a HOB filter (the current really isn't strong) with purigen. All of my other fish are still doing good, but my betta is suddenly ill. It came on really quickly, and I'm not quite sure what is wrong with him. He was an adult betta when I purchased him and I've had him for about 9 months now.

He has been pretty inactive since the 27th of December (laying down or hiding under plants, and I've noticed his fins were clumped by the 1st. When starting my 20 g long tank, I used filter media from my established tank to cycle it quickly and put the betta in there on the 3rd hoping that the fresh water would help him heal. He was exploring the first day or two, but he reverted back to laying still at the bottom or hiding all day and hardly eating, often skipping meals or staring at his food. I've checked water parameters meticulously as well. This morning he looks like he is doing worse. :( I'm gonna do a 25% water change today to see if it helps and maybe try to rig up a sponge filter until the one I ordered gets here, if anyone thinks that would be better. Any ideas on how to make a homemade one would be appreciated too.

Does anyone know what my betta have, and how I can make him better? I'll attach photos I took a few minutes ago. His lower lip is turning white/red and the right side of his head has white spots/lesions.
Snapchat-1453117120.jpg
Snapchat-170210453.jpg
Snapchat-1453117120.jpg
Snapchat-170210453.jpg
Snapchat-701813010.jpg
Snapchat-10564120.jpg

IranianSoldier

Reaction score
It’s probly just old. U can return him to the pet store for a full refund I think.

Princethepurplebetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Imo he does look like hes an older betta. What are the exact parameters? How often do you do water changes? Did you clean out the filter media recently?

OP
S

StaceyMae

Reaction score
Princethepurplebetta said:
Imo he does look like hes an older betta. What are the exact parameters? How often do you do water changes? Did you clean out the filter media recently?
The exact parameters are the following: 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, and 0ppm nitrate, 7.0 pH, and water that is not hard or soft. It is right in the middle on the API test. I do water changes once every one to two weeks. I thought it was peculiar that my even my red cherry shrimp and loaches are stable while this is going on, as I've learned they are quite sensitive and are usually the first to get sick in a tank. This is a picture of my betta the day I got him in a betta bowl I used to transport him to my 20 high, and I did think he looked to be full grown. It's nice to know others think his age could be a factor in this, since it was my first thought.
Screenshot_20200102-010120_Messenger.jpg

New Threads