Help dying fish

1. primobryan Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank with your typical comet goldfish or feeder goldfish only 1. I know it's a small tank it's temporary but today I'm having a party and I noticed that my fish wasn't looking too good he was just in the bottom swimming sideways. I checked around the tank and noticed that someone had dumped soap in the tank. He probably sat in it for 45 minutes in the soap water I then took him out of the tank put him in a new 10 gallon tank with clean water but I feel the damage is already done he still doesn't look too good. Is there anything I can do I removed everything that was in the tank so you can say I put him in a quarantine tank but is there something else I can do please help

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Oh no! So sorry to hear that happened. Getting him into new water was probably the best and only thing you could do.

If there was a filter in the tank I'd throw away the media. Give the filter a good scrubbing, rinsing and run it with clean water. I'd even go so far as using a filter tube brush (is that what they're called?) on the intake tube.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

3. primobryan Member Member

Yea thanks for the tips Lucy, sadly......... somebody murdered my fish...... I only wished I knew who....... but to not be disrespectful at my family's party I avoided making a scene. I'm now wondering what to do with ceramic bio media that was exposed to soap, I threw away the filter floss pads along with the activated carbon.....not my mesh net though I'm just gonna rinse it out with hot water multiple times and maybe in bleach, then in some water conditioner for a couple days. This sucks my media got ruined all my beneficial bacteria is no longer usable 8 months of progress

4. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I'm very sorry for your loss. I probably would have thrown everyone out if it had been me...

5. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear, this is terrible :/ Frankly, whoever did it, assuming they did it on purpose which is what it sounds like, is a terrible person >.> is there a chance it could've been a child though? If there were no children at the party then that's seriously uncool, but if it was a child then that sort of thing can happen, along with the dumping of food or dropping of other substances into the tank. It's just a shame that it happened at all :/

I hope your fish makes it!!!

6. primobryan Member Member

Trust...... I would of too but I have so much respect for my sister this day meant alot for her

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Well, that stinks. I'm so sorry :(
    I would toss the ceramic bio media as well.

8. primobryan Member Member

I'm assuming it was a child before I noticed only two kids went in and an adult... so yea I also wanted to say that my niece who is younger knows not to put soap in the fish tank who is easily 4 years younger then those 2 kids..... which means it was an act done of ignorance...or intended.

9. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Ah yes that makes sense. It would be SO uncool if an adult went and did that.

Still sucks and I hope the best for your fish! Keep us posted on how things go

10. primobryan Member Member

this sucks because I knew I was housing a larger fish that was not intended for 10 gallon which was temporary until I can put him in a 45gallon alone. So I knew he would grow I didn't hesitate on putting 1000grams of bio media I'm not a goldfish guy I prefer tropical FW fish and reef but I would never give up on any fish especially if it expands my hobby along with experience of different aquatic life and if I know I can care for it

Sure I'm just glad my 40 gallon Angelfish tank is out of everyone's reach but me.